IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Man I love the little adventures you find yourself on. Today's lunchtime Zelda consisted of me hunting for wildlife to upgrade my gear.  So many hot-footed frogs! :lol:

Finally got my climbing set to rank 3. I'd assumed it was the final rank until the great fairy said something about knowing her sisters weren't all free..! Awesome. (I also then remembered that I'd heard that already from @Polmon, doh!) 

I'd been wondering where to go next, but having just visited the really huge snowy mountains near Gerudo I felt I needed to upgrade the rito set to see its bonus  (getting the bonuses is so addictive.. I love the Ninja suit perk!) 

Needed fire keese wings, couldn't remember exactly where I'd seen them. Teleported to the tower south of the volcano, decided to float about a bit to scout for enemies. Find an awesome breadcrumb trail of enemies, fire keese and chuchus! So I drop and take them out. They lead me to the top of a path, where my shrine detector started pinging. Found a neat shrine in the middle of a lava lake. Not sure I'd have found it if it wasn't for the keese hunt. 

This fucking game. :wub:

2 minutes ago, Azrael said:

How does the Fairy and gear upgrade stuff work exactly? Can you just keep upgrading the gear with one fairy or do you need to find them all to fully upgrade? 

There is a clue in the above post ;)

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

How does the Fairy and gear upgrade stuff work exactly? Can you just keep upgrading the gear with one fairy or do you need to find them all to fully upgrade? 

Each fairy has a max upgrade level.  The most likely one people find first is near kakariko, and can take things to rank 1 max. The fairies with higher max ranks can also upgrade to level 1 and any in between  up to their max.  So if you find the rank 3 fairy first you can still do all the upgradings.

Once you get a set to rank 3 (I think!) if it has a set bonus it'll apply once you put the three pieces on. 

I really want to find more of the barbarian set, man! It looks so good.  Still got good chunks of the map unexplored, so fingers crossed I won't be waiting too much longer..

Not sure that's right. At least in as much as once you've unlocked other fairies you can level up to the highest you've unlocked at any of them. So Kakariko will be able to max when all are found. I thought that each one cost more in order as you found them and raised the level by one. Unless I accidentally found them in the 'right' order.

The Barbarian set is pretty cool, apart from the parts needed to upgrade! If you've found any then you should have an idea where to go for the rest.

1 hour ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Not sure that's right. At least in as much as once you've unlocked other fairies you can level up to the highest you've unlocked at any of them. So Kakariko will be able to max when all are found. I thought that each one cost more in order as you found them and raised the level by one. Unless I accidentally found them in the 'right' order.

Dam I hadn't thought to try visiting the older fairies! You're totally right! 

16 hours ago, jimmbob said:

I'm still very much at the beginning of this. I've JUST got Sheikah Slate fully operational (I assume) and can now take selfies.

I'm there with you. I finally got to Zora's Domain yesterday, and having spent much of today dying over and over again

Spoiler

trying to get those blasted shock arrows without that terrifying thing noticing me and striking me dead, I got through the fun action sequence before entering Ruta itself.

But before I do that, I probably need to find some decent armour and move myself beyond four hearts. Still, I'm having fun on my first-ever Zelda game ;)

8 hours ago, dood said:

Omg the best thing just happened. I had a tense battle with an outpost full of high level Bokoblin, the last enemy was on a platform with a bow, shooting fire arrows at me.  

As we faced off after I'd slain the penultimate enemy, at range we both drew our bows, me with standard arrows, his drawing magical fire. 

We both let fly, his shot was off target, but the arrows passed each other very closely; mine lit from the flame and set him ablaze to finish him :hat:

This game. 

That's amazing!

10 hours ago, dood said:

Each fairy has a max upgrade level.  The most likely one people find first is near kakariko, and can take things to rank 1 max. The fairies with higher max ranks can also upgrade to level 1 and any in between  up to their max.  So if you find the rank 3 fairy first you can still do all the upgradings.

Once you get a set to rank 3 (I think!) if it has a set bonus it'll apply once you put the three pieces on. 

I really want to find more of the barbarian set, man! It looks so good.  Still got good chunks of the map unexplored, so fingers crossed I won't be waiting too much longer..

It's rank 2 for the perks as well. Not all sets have perks. 

I've done three divine beasts now. Can I safely (lol) go into the castle without triggering the endgame/Ganon fight? Or does the final battle only trigger when you have all four beasts?

6 minutes ago, Goose said:

I've done three divine beasts now. Can I safely (lol) go into the castle without triggering the endgame/Ganon fight? Or does the final battle only trigger when you have all four beasts?

It will trigger regardless.

7 minutes ago, Goose said:

you can trigger the fight without any beasts but the point of no return is pretty obvious so you can wander in and smack some guardians without much fear

I love the progression in this game - early on I ran from Guardians. Even the stationary ones. Last night, I wandered near the castle and basically chased as many down as I could to farm ancient parts. I was like an evil child - but instead of taking legs off of flies, I was chopping them off of ancient powerful mechanoids. Many Giant Cores GET!

I went back to Karariko and was sent on a quest to find places that matched the pictures in my Shiekah slate or something. Then I met a woman who had had her sheep stolen by Bokoblins. So I went to find them and there were fucking loads of them, and those big tall bastards. Took me a bit of strategic planning  but I managed to clear the camp and got an opal or something. Then I saw a shrine in the distance in the sea, so I jumped on a raft, and went in feeling confident. After my initial worries, I think finally the game is starting the click.

Major Test Of Strength.

"Oh really? Well how hard can it be?"

Mr 4 hearts and 3 shit-spears, goes in and gets annihilated about 14 times, before having a bit of a cry and going bed at 1:30am.

2 hours ago, Goose said:

Yeah you can have a mooch around. You'll know when you're getting close to Ganon so you can back off then. 

Yeah. That was exactly what I did, and the first test of strength shrine I found. Although I think I ran around to the headland on the other side and glided to the shrine. I hardly ever used a raft.

After that, I saved the tests of strength I found until later... it put me off a little, so I probably could have taken on the minor and moderate tests earlier than I actually did!

It'll change jimmbob - I often go back to the Major Test shrines now to farm the decent weapons. But yeah, you should perhaps avoid them for now lol

Don't get caught up with the memories/pictures either - they are things to find as you explore and do everything else really.

I spent ages trying to do that fight, reloading each time to get my broken weapons back. Concentrate on avoidance initially and you'll quickly reach a point where you can dodge all the attacks. At that point it's just about endurance and chipping away bit by bit. When I beat it first time I think it probably lasted about 15-20 mins!

3 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

When you defeat Ganon do you then just get to carry on doing other stuff across the map?

Game over in terms of story and you get credits etc - but it returns you to the point of no return (with Ganon still alive and killable again) where you can continue to explore etc