IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Ahh..I remember that one now. Those mountains have some great shrines.

Yeah, they put a lot of variety into the methods of hiding the bastards up in the mountains.

22 hours ago, g wings said:

Yes, I find that really annoying for some reason. Why couldn't they just let you continue in a Ganon free Hyrule?

I guess that's a lot of work for something most people won't reach and those who do won't have much left to do.

17 hours ago, JPL said:

Oh, I thought that was you! Who was it that said they noped away from the Lost Woods the other day?

I'm sure that marker for how many quests you've done has been there for a while though. I definitely had it before getting the DLC last week.

I think they just appear after you defeat Gannon.

37 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I found quite a few before I had the mask - there was a really tricky 'follow the flower' one that has you clambering down under the bridge. Enjoyed that.

Did that one last night... really enjoyed that. Quite precarious 

Excellent post, @jimmbob - for what it's worth the feeling of being overwhelmed by options doesn't really go away (well it hasn't quite for me, despite all 4 divine beasts being done) you just kind of get used to it! 

The Trial of the Sword is fantastic, it's so much more than the usual Savage Labyrinth/Cave of Ordeals. Feels more like a set of full dungeons (albeit with a combat focus obviously).

I've also started Master Mode because I am a glutton for punishment. Just got off the plateau. First time around I followed the suggested order of things very dutifully, so this time I figure Impa can wait a bit, I'm off to do the Rito bird first. The lack of stamina is the hardest thing to get used to, it was the first thing I upgraded last time.

It's been said that the glide/climb mechanic has ruined other open world games which I totally agree with but in a roundabout kind of way it's ruined Breath of the Wild slightly as when I'm scampering about and climbing vertical cliff faces getting to the top of things and gliding off to my next destination I notice that there is usually a 'correct' way up to the summit usally a winding path or something and I don't ever use them. It's not a complaint from me at all as the game and it's movement mechanics are bloody brilliant but just an observation on how it's completely up to the player how the traverse the world.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

It's been said that the glide/climb mechanic has ruined other open world games which I totally agree with but in a roundabout kind of way it's ruined Breath of the Wild slightly as when I'm scampering about and climbing vertical cliff faces getting to the top of things and gliding off to my next destination I notice that there is usually a 'correct' way up to the summit usally a winding path or something and I don't ever use them. It's not a complaint from me at all as the game and it's movement mechanics are bloody brilliant but just an observation on how it's completely up to the player how the traverse the world.

To be honest I stopped scrambling up every surface from about 8 hours in, mainly because I was taking my horsey everywhere!! 

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I've never bothered with a horse, I've grabbed a few on my travels but not actually got round to stabling one.

It gets more handy the further you get I think. 

Pro tip. Make sure you've got at least two horses. When you leave one behind at some remote location, when you next reach a stable and take out the other, the abandoned horse is automagically taken in again :D

5 minutes ago, Jonny5 said:

You can take out the horse even if you leave it in the middle of nowhere, but horses are a bit pants. Much better traversing the world on foot. 

Oh ffs!!  I had just assumed that wouldn't work.  This weird fucking game!!

Also, horses are great for steamrollering massive mobs of high level baddies!!  Horseback combat is super cool. 

Horse combat is very cool. Riding around on them is cool.

It's just a shame that getting your horse is a little bit of an arse resulting in me barely using them. There's some line in the game about having to be near to a horse for it to hear you and come. "It's not magic" you are told. I think it should have been magic like the previous games.

Imagine gliding down from up high and doing a whistle in the air for you horse to gallop out of nowhere so you could land on them and ride on at full pelt. It would have been amazing. There's the issue of where are they going to come from when you can see such a wide area, but that could easily be solved by having them warp in.

I think I'd have done a bit less Link warping around if Epona, Darwin, or Mr Scooty had appeared quickly and when I wanted.

I agree with all of that. I barely used horses in my playthrough. The second I got on one I'd suddenly see a million things that could only be explored/interacted with on foot. Being able to call it from anywhere would make it a lot more appealing. The only thing is, would you be able to do silly things like jumping off your horse, climbing up a 100-metre cliff and immediately summoning it again?

Re: the 'horsey can't hear your call', it's fair enough, but I found the best way to do some on-foot exploring with a horse in tow is to keep calling them.  They happily just follow you around like pups if you keep prompting them. 

In that example of jumping off, climbing a cliff, if I call the horse at the top he'll run off and find the path to the top and eventually catch up, using the aforementioned 'proper routes', if available. 

1 hour ago, dood said:

It gets more handy the further you get I think. 

Pro tip. Make sure you've got at least two horses. When you leave one behind at some remote location, when you next reach a stable and take out the other, the abandoned horse is automagically taken in again :D

I dunno about that. Mine died a while ago, and I've been fine without. Besides the crippling guilt that is. 

But they're certainly cool, and fun. Perhaps I'll resurrect Trotski tonight...

34 minutes ago, dood said:

In that example of jumping off, climbing a cliff, if I call the horse at the top he'll run off and find the path to the top and eventually catch up, using the aforementioned 'proper routes', if available. 

That might not be so easy to do - I seem to remember reading that the framerate issues in Dark Souls' Blighttown are mostly down to the complex AI pathfinding going on?

19 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

That might not be so easy to do - I seem to remember reading that the framerate issues in Dark Souls' Blighttown are mostly down to the complex AI pathfinding going on?

But I was explaining something that I've already done in the game, not some hypothetical fix! :)

I imagine using a horse will be pretty essential on Master mode, escaping tough enemies is a lot easier that way!! 

Aside: does that Hylian shield ever break?  I had a heart-stopping moment vs thunerblight boss after dropping it from electrocution and not being able to find it!!  Magnesis saved me though

5 minutes ago, Made of Ghosts said:

Oh really? Huh. Horses are smart.

Yup, sometimes you get a message like "It looks like horsey can't find its way to you" which means there's not a flat enough path, but geenrally if you call them every few mins they follow around nicely. 

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

Prototype did that and, to a lesser extent, Just Cause. It's in context. I think it's the best dynamic in a game ever. I remember how frustrating Twilight Princess was in Hyrule Field when you couldn't even make Link climb something that wasn't even as tall as a Korok. Being able to go anywhere meant the game is not on rails and sequenced. The first thing I do in open World games is to try and climb the highest thing I can see or get to places I shouldn't be able to go to or try and hit the walls in the game and this didn't make me want to do that as I could basically go anywhere immediately (with potions). 

I got into a fight with a creature last night, threw a bomb to buy me a few seconds, which promptly hit a tree, knocking it down and hitting the creature on the head, killing it.

This game! 

I don't think I've used a horse since that very first time you encounter them and are taught how to capture/tame them. I find I'm constantly wandering off the beaten path and see so much stuff I'd miss otherwise.