The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

On 28/06/2016 at 2:51 AM, Spainkiller said:

Will be playing this an hour or two this Thursday :) Anything in particular you guys want me to check out?

Probably not enough content to get an idea but try and see if all the extra ways to approach combat (stealth, enviromental stuff (rolling rocks, fire), stealing weapons etc) is negated by it being easier and quicker to just run in and kill everything. Hopefully not.

On 28 juni 2016 at 3:51 AM, Spainkiller said:

Will be playing this an hour or two this Thursday :) Anything in particular you guys want me to check out?

"How many triangles were used in creating his sword?"

6 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

No, it was the same version.

I forgot to ask about towns but regarding dungeons the Nintendo man only could tell me: "In addition to the +/- 100 shrines, there will be dungeons. Period."

Cheers Joe, I didn't think it would be a different version but still thought I'd ask.

I must admit that those things you've mentioned (cooking, the logs, paraglider) are things that I have seen so I do wonder how often you can do those things, I'm wary that all of this 'open world' stuff that you can do will actually mean something more like; there will be trees to cut down near suitably narrow gaps, there will be boulders on a hill at one point when there are enemies below, there will be chillis and a camp near the start of the cold 'level'/ bit.

I'm really hoping that isn't the case but if almost all the previous zelda games are anything to go by, there will be cool things to do but when and where you can do them will be fairly restrictive and you won't be able to do many 'connected' things in that vein. Like... I dunno, roll a boulder down somewhere to cut a tree down over the top of it to get an angle on burning some thing to make an updraft to paraglide (or something).

Having said that, the clip of using the fire from the bomb to launch you into the air to arrow that enemy in the 'eye' does make me hopeful that it won't purely be limited to 'use this thing in this area and nowhere else'.

39 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I must admit that those things you've mentioned (cooking, the logs, paraglider) are things that I have seen so I do wonder how often you can do those things, I'm wary that all of this 'open world' stuff that you can do will actually mean something more like; there will be trees to cut down near suitably narrow gaps, there will be boulders on a hill at one point when there are enemies below, there will be chillis and a camp near the start of the cold 'level'/ bit.

I'm really hoping that isn't the case but if almost all the previous zelda games are anything to go by, there will be cool things to do but when and where you can do them will be fairly restrictive and you won't be able to do many 'connected' things in that vein. Like... I dunno, roll a boulder down somewhere to cut a tree down over the top of it to get an angle on burning some thing to make an updraft to paraglide (or something).

Having said that, the clip of using the fire from the bomb to launch you into the air to arrow that enemy in the 'eye' does make me hopeful that it won't purely be limited to 'use this thing in this area and nowhere else'.

Well, the see-saw I mentioned before was a great example of this!

So the man used the magnetic power to lift a treasure chest, a long plank and a metal boulder out of a pond. He then put the plank on the chest and climbed on one side of it, then used the magnet power to lift the boulder up high. When it dropped, he launched himself away quite a bit.

Bear in mind that this wasn't in an area where it needed to be done to reach something. You could just... do it. I reckon you could also move the the stuff to a completely different space and use it there to gain a proper advantage :)

For instance, on a Shadow of the Colossus-style boss. Has that been shown yet in any of the footage? (Didn't watch all of it.)

Aha. That sounds a bit more like I was hoping for and not seen a Colossus boss either as I've tried to limit what I've seen after going a bit crazy around E3. What with the climbing ability that sort of thing makes sense though.

I suppose one other thing that I'm curious about, does it 'feel' like a Zelda where you can now do loads of stuff where you couldn't before... or um, an elder scrolls game (or whatever, Dragon Age maybe, or Witcher) with Zelda clothes on?

EDIT: I fully realise that's a stupid question about a quick demo but hey, if you don't ask, you never know :P

19 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I suppose one other thing that I'm curious about, does it 'feel' like a Zelda where you can now do loads of stuff where you couldn't before... or um, an elder scrolls game (or whatever, Dragon Age maybe, or Witcher) with Zelda clothes on?

EDIT: I fully realise that's a stupid question about a quick demo but hey, if you don't ask, you never know :P

Not a stupid question, as even after barely an hour with this demo the answer is a definite YES :)

This is partly due to the rather different way items work, as well as your abilities. In previous Zelda games, you would have your standard 'equipment items' such as a sword, shield and special items including clothes with special stats and such.

That's different now as you constantly find stuff like twigs/clubs/swords/axes, bows and different sorts of arrows, various clothes etc. 

Also: no hearts, but onsumable (and cookable!) mushrooms and nuts. And few rupees, but opals and rubies. This makes it feel more 'real' than collecting actual heart-shaped recovery items and gems in the grass.

Mind, I guess games like The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword were already working towards that points by letting you use enemy weapons and including consumables such as ChuChu Jelly, nuts and lots of stuff to craft items with!

Interesting.

Personally, I don't think I ever used the sticks , nuts or any of the jellys/ potions in previous zeldas unless it was necessary (apart from the fairy in a bottle / heal potions) as they generally weren't ever as good as just sword and / or other items. Which is also why I asked about 'do you only do those things when the game tells you' in regards to the tree cutting etc.

I never found using the spears or what have you in Wind Waker were ever particularly useful for instance and I probably ended up with more of those deku sticks than logical unless I had a web to burn (which again, I don't seem to remember happening much outside of the deku tree where you learnt it in Ocarina). This might be me 'doing it wrong' but that's what I'm worried about with some of this stuff, is it all there just to be there as a ticked box, or is it actually tied into the whole thing a lot better....

Again, probably not obvious from a guided demo at all and I'm probably just trying to temper my rampant enthusiasm as to be honest, I don't really give a shit and I'm day one anyway but, y'know. :D

Fair point though. The sticks and stuff only made sense in The Wind Waker during the Forsaken Fortress, when you lost your sword. I hardly used anything other than Link's sword during the rest of the game.

It's a completely different story in Breath of the Wild, mind. There is no 'default sword', just the stuff you find and are able to use. Same for mushrooms, meat and stuff: there are no recovery hearts, so you NEED the actual food to keep your health up.

Also, my favorite point was during a semi-guided story-driven bit (basically the intro of the game): as I was told to go to a tower, I spotted a small pond near the Temple of Time with an elevated island in the middle - containing a pedestal and a sword! :o 

Thinking it was the Master Word, I deviated from the set pad, dove into the water, swam to the isle and pulled the sword out... which turned out to be a 'rusty old blade' :D

Cheers for the answers and impressions, top face button is like Ico and that isn't it? Does seem strange but at the same time, I wonder if it will be more natural later on, I'm assuming there's still other weapons/ items to assign to the buttons too?

I know I might be in the minority but I do hope that with all this open world stuff there are suitably stupid side quests to be getting on with too, one of my favourite bits in all Zeldas is the completely daft and takes AGES to actually finish weird item quest with the ribbon for the chain chomp and rogue items between the NPCs.

Although one thing that I really hope is fixed but I'm sure won't be; NPCs repeating the same lines ALL THE TIME. I hope there's some sort of tracker for that because it never fails to wind me up more than it should.

They never allow customisable controls in Zelda, but now I've spent too much time considering whether it should ideally be:

jump on bottom face button to be like platformers/sprint on right button to be like Souls;

or B sprint/A jump like old Mario;

or Y sprint/B jump like Mario World/NSMB (but then A or X would have to be attack?);

or B for attack like most Zelda games.

Feel free to weigh in, everyone.

Did the A button do anything?  I'm thinking it might be 'Action/Talk/Read' which would probably not be as out of place on X as jump (if they do allow customizable controls) but I suppose that would depend on whether it's used to pull of special combat moves, like in Twilight Princess.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...