The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Several months late but I've now finished the Champion's Ballad and it was excellent in the end - more of the same but neatly structured and lots of variety despite the repetitive framerate. It seemed like a love letter to the main game/Greatest Hits, in a way. The final final boss fight was pretty tough, quite Soulsy in some ways, although Souls obviously took a lot of inspiration from Zelda, of course. It did get very The Last Giant at one point, except harder! After reading a few disappointed comments about the MCZ, I am pleasantly surprised by how much fun it is to just rag around the map.

I've also found several areas and shrines I'd never come across before simply because of the increased traversal speed. Believe it or not, I'd never even been to the Thundra Plateau, nor done the arrow rings. I've still gotta loads and loads of gear quests and the Master Sword Trials to do some day but I'm happy to give it another break for a while and have reasons to dip back in. I'd forgotten just how absorbing it is, though, and how I got so swept up by it first time around. Alongside Skyrim, I've never enjoyed just walking around the world so much in any game. 

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do to defeat this execrable Thunderblight memory boss in the DLC? I get him down to a slither of health pretty easily and then he's constantly electrified and attacking him hurts me. I run around for five minutes unable to do anything. It's just occurred to me I could maybe throw my weapons at him to finish that last bit of health but I'm not sure I can be arsed any more.

The whole DLC package has been a gigantic let down really. I feel like Nintendo charged me the best part of twenty quid to sour my memories of the fantastic main game.

50 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to do to defeat this execrable Thunderblight memory boss in the DLC? I get him down to a slither of health pretty easily and then he's constantly electrified and attacking him hurts me. I run around for five minutes unable to do anything. It's just occurred to me I could maybe throw my weapons at him to finish that last bit of health but I'm not sure I can be arsed any more.

The whole DLC package has been a gigantic let down really. I feel like Nintendo charged me the best part of twenty quid to sour my memories of the fantastic main game.

You just have to:

Spoiler

backflip at the right time to get a flurry rush. 

I only learned this on my most recent playthrough, where I realised I'd been relying on healing and champion powers way too much previously!

5 minutes ago, robdood said:

You just have to:

Hide contents

backflip at the right time to get a flurry rush. 

I only learned this on my most recent playthrough, where I realised I'd been relying on healing and champion powers way too much previously!

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten all about that. Used it only a handful of times in the main game too.

Been back into this over the last couple of night - I'm 3 divine beasts down, but stuck getting into the Goron part of the map. I got a heat resistant elixir from someone at some point but I can't remember where, which meant I whizzed through the map as quickly as I could heading closer to the volcano, aware of the ticking clock before the elixir ran out. I'm presuming at some point there is some mega heat resistant clothing (like clothing more suited for the desert) but I've still never come across it....

So I've been going on a bit of a mooch trying to mop up some odds and sods of quests  I went down to do the get rid of the monsters in the bay for the fishing village, but after attacking the monster base I think something went wrong (perhaps some creature ended up in the water) so the game didn't recognise me defeating them and the chest opening (presuming they're the creatures I needed to defeat)

Swung inland randomly, fought some completely new Hinox type creature where I was knocking it's eye out of it's skeletal head, which was funny. Found the stable by the edge of Floria Lake which completely bypassed me last time, then ended up taking a long detour and heading up Mount Laranyu again. As I got back through certain areas I come across the kinda paths you're supposed to take - in the daylight I discovered an obvious trail with steps which wound round the mountain, but when I first tackled it I glided in as best I could and climbed my way up from the west side of the mountain :) 

Started following the coastal edge as much as I could from the north of the mountain, around the bay and lagoon then north along the coast up towards Zora's domain, which I hadn't been to since defeating Vah Ruta and it was nice to visit it not in pouring rain. Also took on my first Hinox since getting the lightning power up and took that out super quick. Finally tackled the Into The Vortex shrine which was much easier now I'm a bit more armed, then headed off to East Akkal stable, where I randomly found the Shrine Of Power and handily been holding on to the required item there for a long time, since I randomly acquired it a very long time ago...though wasn't expecting a major test of strength!

Came out the shrine armed with a Guardian shield and felt cocky enough to explore the quarry, but my shield parrying, even with a Guardian shield, is still more miss than hit and I got blown to pieces. Came out the other side and decided to try and explore the edge of Lake Akkal, completely forgetting about the wetlands being guardian ruins central...but again, armed with this shield and a newly bought Guardian helm thought I'd stand a bit more a chance. Nope, Guardian shield blown to pieces with 2 hits and he fried soon after.

During my travels I seem to have acquired items which would have helped no end a while ago (climbing clothes for example) but which feel less necessary now I've got stamina built up and the jumping power up. Though I guess the climbing clothes might help me do that Goron rupee climbing challenge with continues to piss me off.

My steel Linzal shield seems to have been the most robust parrying Guardian laser beams so far. Dunno what I'm doing wrong. I still feel like I'm never armed/ protected enough to go into the more dangerous areas of the game, even with food/ armour/ protection. I've yet to defeat a Linel, but been tempted to take one on now I have the lightning power if it made quick work of the Hinox. There's one around the jungle who definitely deserves a beating for the amount of times it randomly zapped me when I crossed its path :)

I completed this on the Wii U this time last year and am going to be starting it again on Switch soon. I've got the expansion pass now as well. Do you reckon I'd be ok going straight into Master Mode? Does it make the combat more challenging, or just more attritional?

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I completed this on the Wii U this time last year and am going to be starting it again on Switch soon. I've got the expansion pass now as well. Do you reckon I'd be ok going straight into Master Mode? Does it make the combat more challenging, or just more attritional?

The combat is pretty much the same, the challenge comes from the enemies being higher ranks (i.e. no 'red' tier enemies at the start) from the off.   There are some surprises in terms of new enemy placements too. 

I found it great, at the start especially - you really can't afford to get into scrapes until you find some better items.   It does eventually get a bit easy when Link become uber powerful later in the game.  But it's a much more enjoyable way to play tbh.  

For extra fun, I highly recommend playing without using the map at all :) 

On 3/2/2018 at 22:29, luth714 said:

Been back into this over the last couple of night - I'm 3 divine beasts down, but stuck getting into the Goron part of the map. I got a heat resistant elixir from someone at some point but I can't remember where, which meant I whizzed through the map as quickly as I could heading closer to the volcano, aware of the ticking clock before the elixir ran out. I'm presuming at some point there is some mega heat resistant clothing (like clothing more suited for the desert) but I've still never come across it....

Try and find the 'civilian' route up to the volcano and you'll encounter people that will help with the heat.

8 hours ago, blurie said:

Try and find the 'civilian' route up to the volcano and you'll encounter people that will help with the heat.

Not to mention lizards!  There are tons of them about from Eldin Stable (if that's the right name?) onwards - you can easily grab a few before you get to the parts of the mountain which cook you alive :) 

I went back to the stable and couldn’t believe there was someone there selling elixir after all that :) Proceeded up the civilian path, battled all the way and found the southern mine and finished a side quest...finally hit the main area and got some fire proof armour. Started exploring the area without a ticking clock!

16 hours ago, blurie said:

or spend hours and hours crawling round the volcano just below the effects of the heat, once you have painstakingly positioned your self near a handy mountain for the village race up the ledge and glide into down in a glorious ball of flame then frantically run around on fire searching for helpful items, whilst the villagers look on in horror.

Advice please... I’ve started playing this again with a view to completing it. I’ve picked back up at a point where I’ve put in 40hrs, done a fair bit of exploring and completed 2 Divine Beasts. 

Would getting one or both DLC packs at this point in the game enhance the experience, or should I complete the main game first? 

Still plugging away at this. Can some kind soul point me towards bomb arrows. I know I can buy them is there another way at all. 

Just got the DLC does the master sword trial scale to the player or is it just depend on how good the player is at micro management and using their surroundings?