The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Skyward Sword started off well but outstayed its welcome by many, many hours until I just couldn't be arsed anymore. Some sections were good (especially those 'time bubbles' in the desert), but the endless backtracking and fetching and busywork got really annoying. Felt like a great 20 hour game padded out to be a slog of a 40 hour game.  And the motion controls were shit obviously.

6 hours ago, nakamura said:

Link's Awakening is clearly the best Zelda game. Full sized action adventure on that system? Incredible. Would love a remake. 

All of the Zelda games ever released would definitely make it in to my top 35* list

* or however many games there actually are

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Skyward Sword was far from more of the same. There are lots of reasons some people didn't like it, but similarity to its predecessors wasn't one I recall coming up.  

Pretty sure that criticism has been thrown as Skyward Sword. Everything about that game has been heavily criticised by someone at some point. Apart from time shift stones maybe. Although it wouldn't surprise me if some dick has tried to claim that they were shit in the Skyward Sword thread.

I think it's comfortably the best Zelda game made so far. It does almost everything better than Ocarina did. I'd quite like the text to speed up when I'm buying stuff and the harp could be better, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Hopefully we'll get a remaster at some point on Switch with added Lon Lon Milking game.

12 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Pretty sure that criticism has been thrown as Skyward Sword. Everything about that game has been heavily criticised. Apart from time shift stones maybe. Although it wouldn't surprise me if some dick has tried to claim that they were shit in the Skyward Sword thread.

I think it's comfortably the best Zelda game made so far. It does almost everything better than Ocarina did. I'd quite like the text to speed up when I'm buying stuff and the harp could be better, but other than that I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Hopefully we'll get a remaster at some point on Switch with added Lon Lon Milking game.

I adore Skyward Sword, and had the best time playing through the game way back around xmas time 2011. Loved it to death.

The Rllmuk thread - which I read and contributed to - was the moment I realised that I'm often totally out of touch with this place or at least completely disagree with the more vocal groups in the thread. The game got utterly trashed by a certain few characters in there who just seemed determined to rip the game to shreds and proclaim every aspect of the game to be dreadful. Not to name any names (Joyrex, Moz/Morrius, Napole0n) but that thread was more like a lynch mob than a place for discussion and for me kinda alienated me from the whole forum. It was seriously awful with no attempt from the nay-sayers to consider why a certainly aspect of the game was designed a certain way and anyone proclaiming the game to be good was shot down. 

If the Resident Evil 4 thread was the famous love-in thread, the Skyward Sword one was more like a toilet for the loudest voices to shit into. 

I dislike the Wii version of Twilight Princess and far prefer the Gamecube version (or I guess the HD one now). 

The "Waggle" was indeed not implemented very well in that game. Literally just button binding to controller shake. 

Skyward Sword is miles superior and I didn't have a problem with the motion controls. The game is designed with them in mind. 

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I adore Skyward Sword, and had the best time playing through the game way back around xmas time 2011. Loved it to death.

The Rllmuk thread - which I read and contributed to - was the moment I realised that I'm often totally out of touch with this place or at least completely disagree with the more vocal groups in the thread. The game got utterly trashed by a certain few characters in there who just seemed determined to rip the game to shreds and proclaim every aspect of the game to be dreadful. Not to name any names (Joyrex, Moz/Morrius, Napole0n) but that thread was more like a lynch mob that a place for discussion and for me kinda alienated me from the whole forum. It was seriously awful with no attempt from the nay-sayers to consider why a certainly aspect of the game was designed a certain way and anyone proclaiming the game to be good was shot down. 

If the Resident Evil 4 thread was the famous love-in thread, the Skyward Sword one was more like a toilet for the loudest voices to shit into. 

I don't think it was quite that bad, but that thread was quite miserable. That's why I'll be going cold turkey on Rllmuk when this comes out. That probably makes me a delicate little flower, but I don't care. I enjoyed all games more when I didn't argue about them on here, and I want to see if I can do so again.

25 minutes ago, DeNeo said:

Amazon have now price matched Argos on the Switch version - so you can get it for £49.99, or £47.99 if you have Prime. 

Oh good, I  knew they'd crack eventually. Hopefully all the games will end up being about £10 cheaper than they are now in the end.

9 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Oh good, I  knew they'd crack eventually. Hopefully all the games will end up being about £10 cheaper than they are now in the end.

This always happens at the start of a launch pre-order. Then everyone starts trying to under cut each other and prices drop.

22 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The game got utterly trashed by a certain few characters in there who just seemed determined to rip the game to shreds and proclaim every aspect of the game to be dreadful. Not to name any names (Joyrex, Moz/Morrius, Napole0n)

Disappointed I'm not on the list tbf.

Just now, Davros sock drawer said:

I don't think it was quite that bad, but that thread was quite miserable. That's why I'll be going cold turkey on Rllmuk when this comes out. That probably makes me a delicate little flower, but I don't care. I enjoyed all games more when I didn't argue about them on here, and I want to see if I can do so again.

This is the same with myself. Of course, everyone has their own tastes and there's nothing wrong with criticism, it's more the bullish, self-righteous and pedantic attitudes that can crop up here that I find frustrating - Nothing is subjective, nothing is open to discussion, everything is fucking shit and you're an idiot if you disagree. 

I am also going cold turkey on the forum when this comes out and not contributing to the thread. I'm not interested in arguing or being riled up by the stupid opinion of someone with an agenda... that it's clever to pedantically critique something while entirely missing the broader picture.

I stayed out of the Last Guardian thread and on first playing it I though "the camera is a bit wonky with this, ah well". Then afterwards thought to myself that the rllmuk thread will probably be nothing but a competition to see who can be the first to moan about the camera. Fuck the rest of the game, pages of camera moaning.

Some people may read all this and say "why bother posting here?" and don't worry, I ask myself the same thing sometimes... but of course, rllmuk ain't all bad and there's loads of great stuff and cool posters here.

24 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Not to name any names (Joyrex, Moz/Morrius, Napole0n) but that thread was more like a lynch mob than a place for discussion and for me kinda alienated me from the whole forum. It was seriously awful with no attempt from the nay-sayers to consider why a certainly aspect of the game was designed a certain way and anyone proclaiming the game to be good was shot down. 

I remember things got a bit heated, but I don't really recall the discussion derailing in the favour of the nay-sayers. In fact, I think we were quite the minority as lots of people seem to love it. I thought the game was full of shit design decisions and I was genuinely pissed off that a game with so much potential went wrong in so many places. As I've often said before, I rate Ocarina as one of the best games ever, and whenever I'm speaking ill of a Zelda game it's not because I like a good bash at Nintendo or the series, but because I'm so disappointed with Nintendo for driving such a wonderful series into the ground. All IMO of course.

4 minutes ago, Napole0n said:

I remember things got a bit heated, but I don't really recall the discussion derailing in the favour of the nay-sayers. In fact, I think we were quite the minority as lots of people seem to love it. I thought the game was full of shit design decisions and I was genuinely pissed off that a game with so much potential went wrong in so many places. As I've often said before, I rate Ocarina as one of the best games ever, and whenever I'm speaking ill of a Zelda game it's not because I like a good bash at Nintendo or the series, but because I'm so disappointed with Nintendo for driving such a wonderful series into the ground. All IMO of course.

That's all fair enough, I very much remember it being a very loud shouting match with the nay-sayers dictating the flow of conversation. I really thought a lot of what made the game so good - which in my opinion is pretty much the whole thing, with the exception of a lacklustre final dungeon - got lost in all the noise. I always thought of SS as more of a re-imagining of the 2D Zelda games such as LTTP or LA with it's big chunky designed over world. The whole game felt more mechanical, like one big dungeon rather than the looser over world of OOT or WW. 

The one Zelda game that I've often found to be a little lacking is Wind Waker. Beautiful aesthetic no doubt but the content is just a bit too slight.. which affects the pacing of the game. It feels rushed and that feeling is still there with the new HD remasters. Another reason why I'm all fine with Nintendo taking as long as the want with these games. 

Even then, it's Zelda! and WW is better than most games. They all have a real crafted with love feel to them. 

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That's not a bad idea actually.

Although I'm curious to see what the ususal suspects decide is the reason for it being shit this time. Probably something to do with it being on both Switch and WiiU.

1986    The Legend of Zelda 
1987    The Adventure of Link

1991    A Link to the Past

1993    Link's Awakening 
1998    Ocarina of Time
2000    Majora's Mask
2001    Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages
2002    Four Swords
2002    The Wind Waker
2004    Four Swords Adventures
2004    The Minish Cap
2006    Twilight Princess
2007    Phantom Hourglass
2009    Spirit Tracks
2011    Skyward Sword
2013    A Link Between Worlds
2015    Tri Force Heroes
2017    Breath of the Wild

Above is the complete list of Zelda games. From 1986 - 2000 they were all great except for Zelda II which is universally accepted as a mistake.

Then from 2001-2013 they were more miss than hit. The handheld games were all generally ok but filled with gimmicks like train tracks or drawing on ds screens or shrinking. For home consoles, Wind Waker was really good for the most part but the sailing was boring and frustrating on the GC, the WiiU version fixed all this. Four swords adventures was plain weird and I never got into it. Wasn't a proper Zelda. Twilight was too long and the wolf Link was a huge misstep. We should just forget that Skyward Sword ever happened, as apart from Zelda II it's the low point of the series. It was a mess made for simpletons who needed their hand held at every step. 

In 2013, ALBW was released. The best Zelda since Majoras Mask. If you haven't played it then do so now. It's amazing. Tri Force heroes barely qualified as a Zelda game, again this should be erased from the record books. 

BOTW, I'm getting good vibes from. I reckon it'll be one of the best games ever on its release. It's got that epicness going on that all the best Zelda's do.

2 hours ago, sir shrew said:

If Wind Waker had that fish belly dungeon they obviously cut, instead of the Triforce quest, it would've been GOAT.

I think they needed to add a bit more than that to be honest.. Certainly there should have been a dungeon on that bombed island, but the fire and ice ones you go to later feel like they should have dungeons there too. And then Tower of Gods feels like it should have more floors of puzzles. Add all that and you have content more in line with Ocarina, TP and SS.

Wind Waker clearly fell quite a bit short of what the developers originally wanted. Which, even though I do love it to bits, definitely makes it the most disappointing Zelda.

55 minutes ago, clippa said:

I really like oracle of ages and seasons, do you consider them misses? After the first zelda game on the nes, the early handheld games were some of my favourites. I'm not as keen on the 3d zelda games. Really love the top down ones.

The only standard by which any Zelda on from 2001 were misses is "Era defining brilliance". Even Spirit Tracks, which I disliked, isn't a bad game in the sense of an actually bad game.

Nintendo also started being more experimental, and farmed out development of handheld titles. So those weren't even trying for that standard.

Zelda's core mechanics are very strong. It was born perfect. But people get fed up with the same mechanics and complain about gimmicks when they change. I think it's telling even the less regarded Zelda's tend to be look back at more fondly with a bit of distance. WW is a prime example. Beautiful but definitely flawed.

32 minutes ago, kensei said:

The only standard by which any Zelda on from 2001 were misses is "Era defining brilliance". Even Spirit Tracks, which I disliked, isn't a bad game in the sense of an actually bad game.

Nintendo also started being more experimental, and farmed out development of handheld titles. So those weren't even trying for that standard.

Zelda's core mechanics are very strong. It was born perfect. But people get fed up with the same mechanics and complain about gimmicks when they change. I think it's telling even the less regarded Zelda's tend to be look back at more fondly with a bit of distance. WW is a prime example. Beautiful but definitely flawed.

I'd argue they need to mix up the idea of dungeons.