The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I've got myself in to one of those good open world game loops with this again where I'm just going off to do something and getting a bit distracted and losing three hours to being sidetracked. I could tell this was something special when I was getting started but it's been a slow burn towards realising just how good it is. I'm trying to stop holding on to good gear for a rainy day because I'm now needing to drop good things I'd saved to make room for even better things.

On that subject...

Spoiler

Should I hang on to my gems? Some of them say they have the power of some element inside them which makes me think they could be useful later. And the same with some monster parts, "they could have another use". But if I sell the gems, Link will be rich enough buy some sweet gear, punch Clamty Ganon up his face and retire. I think.

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

Still not got this - still debating whether to get it. I’ll have no time to play it and just bought Odyssey, so can’t justify it at all. Still so tempted mind...

Dont get it until you can give it the time it deserves.

• Upvote 1

I've bought a Switch Lite recently, have playing Animal Crossing for a while which really suits the small screen. Bought BOTW, and well, I get the feeling this is best played on a big screen, no? I might buy a Switch as well when they're all back in stock.

10 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

I've bought a Switch Lite recently, have playing Animal Crossing for a while which really suits the small screen. Bought BOTW, and well, I get the feeling this is best played on a big screen, no? I might buy a Switch as well when they're all back in stock.

I spent 99% of my botw time on portable mode, I find it fine on the Lite too

Think I spent two hours yesterday doing a very bad job of following something floating downstream. I haven't messed around this much in an open-world game since GTA San Andreas, probably a combination of the playful interactivity of just getting around the world in this, and the fact that I can play this on handheld and not feel like I'm supposed to be wringing some huge amount of significance out of every moment just because it's on the Big TV.

• 1 month later...

I’ve got to a really interesting stage in this. I’ve prattled about in the east and done a couple of the kind of regional main quests, but I’m picking my way back east and not quite feeling like engaging with the locations yet. So I’m stalking out to the towers, even taking out a vulnerable Guardian if the opportunity arises, and slowly piecing together a bigger plan of action.

This really keeps growing and growing if you let it.

Having a great time with this at the moment, playing with my son. I've beaten the game previously, but we're tackling it together.

It's funny, because in my save I caught the giant horse and named him Ganeighn. Height of wit, I'm sure you can agree! Well my son caught wind of this and that's how we refer to the horse in his game also; I have to keep reminding myself that it isn't actually the proper name of the animal!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Any tips for the final fight ? I’ve got all the divine beasts. 

The final battle is actually pretty straightforward, and probably easier than some of the divine beasts.

23 hours ago, Fargo said:

Any tips for the final fight ? I’ve got all the divine beasts. 

You can beat anything if you just take enough food with you ;)

After falling head over heels for Breath of the Wild recently (Only got a Switch + BOTW a few weeks ago) I picked up the Art / Making of book Creating a Champion.

If you love the game and haven’t picked it up, I urge you to take a look. I’ve always considered Half Life 2: Raising the Bar as the best video game making of book and nothing comes close to the behind the scenes insight in it.

But on first inspection, this gets under the skin of the development of BOTW to the same degree of HL2. Showing some great concepts, failed first attempts and how they got to where the final game climbed to. Can’t wait to devour it all!

• Upvote 7
  • 1 month later...

I think I’ve solved the last of the riddles at the Deku tree, but...

Spoiler

I can’t seem to get my horse to the top of the tree to put its hoof in place. I thought I might be able to cover it in octo balloons or something but nope.

If I’m wrong don’t tell me what the answer is.

Edit - Not even hints. Although I just realised a solution that is easier.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1
1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Reveal hidden contents

I can’t seem to get my horse to the top of the tree to put its hoof in place. I thought I might be able to cover it in octo balloons or something but nope.

lmao

8 hours ago, ZOK said:

You’re way off. What’s your easier solution?

Spoiler

Either I explode a horse (not my horse) in to a million pieces and hope it drops a hoof, or - and I think this is more likely - it'll be a loot drop from those centaur guys I've been avoiding. Those have hooves for sure.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Reveal hidden contents

If I’m wrong don’t tell me what the answer is.

Edit - Not even hints. Although I just realised a solution that is easier.

Amazing. Hauling a horse over the Deku Tree like some sort of Zelda Fitzcarraldo.

• Upvote 9