rllmuk
revlob

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

24 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

@Droo Find the special places with the fairys. ;)

You don’t need to be cryptic. I completed it first time round. Just finding it hard to find my way around this time!

I’ve tried the doing the Divine Beasts in various orders, but IMO it’s undeniable that the power you get from the Rito one (Vah Medoh) is the most useful in terms of traversing the world, so the earlier you get it the better.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Jarik said:

I’ve tried the doing the Divine Beasts in various orders, but IMO it’s undeniable that the power you get from the Rito one (Vah Medoh) is the most useful in terms of traversing the world, so the earlier you get it the better.

Completely agree, on my current playthrough (3rd time starting) it's the one I went for first.

80+ hours in I've calmed the four Divine Beasts and found all but two memories yet every time I boot the game up to "finish it" I get distracted by something that looks interesting. I then spend an hour trying to find a Noble Pursuit, or something equally inconsequential. Does this game ever end? Do things ever stop looking interesting?

• Upvote 1

I love the ability this game has to distract you, but in a way that makes you feel like you’re forging your own path.  I’ve probably played this game longer than I have any other, & I’m still finding hidden little things in it.

There will come a point when I’ve wrung it dry however.  The amount of content (even without the DLC) is staggering, but I’ve conquered this land & it’s challenges over & over, & I am starting to feel the first hints of fatigue & desire for something new & different.  I just hope the sequel can provide that, while hopefully still taking into account all the things that this game does right.

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, Jarik said:

I love the ability this game has to distract you, but in a way that makes you feel like you’re forging your own path.  I’ve probably played this game longer than I have any other, & I’m still finding hidden little things in it.

I was well over 100 hours in, with all 4 beasts long completed, searching for memories. It was at this point that I found a stable I somehow missed along the way, the one that most people would have gotten to 2nd or 3rd. 

26 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I’m considering starting this from scratch today. I think it’s what Jesus would want. 

I did the same yesterday evening, my third playthrough has begun, it's still just as awesome , get involved.

• Upvote 3

Bugger! I seem to have imprisoned myself here. Doing this Tah Muhl Shrine ...

Spoiler

Where you use some fire to burn leaves on the walls to reveal opening into the next room etc. I didn't spot the small key had dropped in that room at the end for the extra chest, so thinking I was clever I used my stasis on the ramp that leads up to the spirit orb, twatted it from underneath and then when it flipped upwards I flew up and paraglided over and down into that chest room. Now i'm stuck in there with the key, but the lock is back outside :lol:

Only two years late to the party playing this but loving all the little touches so much and how everything interacts. Picked up a snowball the other day and quickly it melted, I figured out after a moment it was my Flameblade strapped to my back what had done it so I uneqipped that only to start shivering and losing energy. The sword had been keeping me toasty without me realising :wub:

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I got this about a month ago I think and haven’t opened it yet as I haven’t had an opportunity to put some time into it. I had surgery yesterday though so might get around to playing it in the next week. I want to be excited for it but feel lousy at the moment :hmm:

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

What’s the weapon degradation like in this ? I have to admit it’s one of my pet hates in games. I’m planning on finally picking up a switch for some of that Nintendo magic in the next week or two and this is the first game on the list. 

• Empathy 2

Haha, it'll drive you mad at first, but you get used it. Don't listen to anyone telling you "actually it makes the game better" ... it fucking does not, and the game would be much better (than it already is) without the stupid system. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

What’s the weapon degradation like in this ? I have to admit it’s one of my pet hates in games. I’m planning on finally picking up a switch for some of that Nintendo magic in the next week or two and this is the first game on the list. 

It's fine. It's a mechanic in a Nintendo game, so the game's been designed with it in mind rather than feeling like an arbitrary decision which has just been chucked in the mix (there's even a rewarding mechanic for getting rid of your weakened weapons).

The game's constantly throwing new equivalent-or-stronger weapons at you and you end up with more good weapons than you can throw your starting stick at.

Given the sheer amount of gear you pick up the biggest ballache is the lack of a  swap option when you try to pick something up but the inventory space for that category is full.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Given the sheer amount of gear you pick up the biggest ballache is the lack of a  swap option when you try to pick something up but the inventory space for that category is full.

Oh man.....that really is a pain in the arse and my main criticism of the game (which in comparison to other games is probably a compliment). The chest animation is a little long winded which is why it is a bit frustrating.

Weapon degradation directly ties into the joy of uncovering hidden areas with sweet bits of new gear as reward. It's so heavily baked into that risk/reward aspect of the game that changing it would mean arguably making for a very different experience to the one that's been designed very deliberately in this way for how everything ties together. It'd be like putting good voice acting in Deadly Premonition or something.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Nitpicking the best game ever made.

Heathens 

That is true...they are nitpicks. 

The degradation never really bothered me. Although one I got a certain quest related weapon it became less of an issue. 

I remember the absolute feeling of shock, terror and despair when my

Hylian shield

was eventually and unexpectedly vaporised by a Guardian’s laser beam. It was fucking awesome.

• Upvote 1

The main thing to bear in mind is that you will die. A lot. It’s not Dark Souls,  but it’s nothing like any Zelda that came before. At first I found it easy to blame some of that on not being able to have a stable set of gear, knowing its capabilities.

It’s nothing to do with that. It’s just a game that’ll instant kill you over and over and over until those memories of breezing through LTTP and OOT without a single death seem like a ridiculous dream.

11 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

I remember the absolute feeling of shock, terror and despair when my

Reveal hidden contents

Hylian shield

was eventually and unexpectedly vaporised by a Guardian’s laser beam. It was fucking awesome.

I’m sure you probably already realise but you can get it back. 

Yeah, it’s looooonnngg since been replaced. But when it first happened, I didn’t know that was possible. For me, there, right in that moment, I was shocked and appalled. And it was fucking awesome.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, definitely.

I've actually gone back to this recently, just bumbling around picking up the odd Korok seed, and its just as magnificent as I remember.

• Upvote 2