The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

We'll probably never get to play it, but when they were developing Breath of the Wild they actually made a Zelda 1 style prototype where they mapped the game out & tested ideas.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Ironically, I think it's more like the original Zelda game than any other game in the whole series. 

Actually that’s probably fair and when I say Zelda game I’m referring to the template first established in Link to the Past.

FWIW I didn’t care for the original either, although I played many years later and after having my expectations set by the later 2d Zeldas, Ocarina and Wind Waker (which is still the best game in the series as far as I’m concerned).

On 03/08/2021 at 09:47, Paulando said:

The weapon durability is an odd one.

I didn’t like it at first, but overall it forces you to use different weapons rather than stick with your favourite, and it gives a reason to find every chest and secret area because you end up with a cool new weapon rather than a bloody red rupee. So I’m in favour of it.

Also love it in a tough fight when you use a damaged weapon for a critical hit!

First time playing this, I have completed 4 Shrines so far.

This may be heresy but honestly I'm not sure if I actually like the game. I have never been a fan of survival mechanics in games and this seems to be full of them.

So far I think the game's title should be The legend of Zelda: inventory management.

Honestly, I think that beginning section teaches you quite a bit in one go, but I don’t remember doing much of it throughout the game. It’s a very tiny percentage of the full playtime anyway, but the cooking etc does give another reason to explore everywhere.

2 hours ago, Mallet said:

First time playing this, I have completed 4 Shrines so far.

This may be heresy but honestly I'm not sure if I actually like the game. I have never been a fan of survival mechanics in games and this seems to be full of them.

So far I think the game's title should be The legend of Zelda: inventory management.

As someone who felt this on my first playthrough attempts (and consequently let it sit on my pile of shame for years), but completed the game ealier this week, I can only urge you to push on as whilst it might feel like that early on, those feelings dropped away quite quickly once i progressed a bit.

If you concentrate on getting a few shrines under your belt, and collecting enough Korok seeds to expand your inventory a touch, then the threat of 'unfair' death drops away, as does the frustration of managing a very limited inventory.

The game, of course, does not force you to take such a path.  My problem on my previous play throughs was probably that I just went where the quests told me, not prioritising exploration enough, and therefore finding myself attempting difficult tasks with barely any levelling up under my belt.

But as someone who's owned it since release on Wii U, but finished it on switch in August 2021, I can attest it's worth sticking with it.  The last 3/4 of my time with the game were so enjoyable, it more than made up for the challenges of the (roughly) first 25% of the time.

I won't give up on it yet. I'm not dying a lot or finding it difficult, just a little tedious, I have completed another 2 shrines and so far they have all been very simple really. 

I did just finish Skyward Sword with it's magnificent dungeons which I really enjoyed but then linear games have never bothered me, in fact I think the only 2 open world games I have truly gotten into were Fallout 3 and Skyrim and I roleplay quite a lot in those games.

The Plateau is the inevitable onboarding part of the game. It was extremely frustrating as my launch Switch had drift out of the box which led to a lot of deaths and also a Right stick button which didn’t work. Got replacements from Amazon then… I don’t know what happened… but it just became one of my favourite games of all time. The freedom to approach anything however you see fit to within the game’s physics and logic is just wonderful. 

Was playing this yesterday, & I had decided to travel up into Akkala to find the Travel Medallion.  This time however I decided not to rush.  I rode my horse at a trot rather than a gallop & admired the scenery & environments as we passed.  I also frequently deviated from the path whenever I spied something interesting & explored ruined settlements, completed Shrines, spoke to people & helped them with their quests, found Korok Seeds etc, & as I was doing this it occured to me that years ago this would have been a major quest in the game, if not the game itself.

"The Legend of Zelda: The Quest for the Travel Medallion."

"Link & his faithful horse Epona go on a long & perilous journey to the far off Akkala region in search of a Legendary Medallion that is said to allow it's wielder to Teleport.  Will Link be successful in his quest to retrieve this legendary artifact, which may help him to rescue the trapped Princess Zelda?"

Then upon getting all the way up to Akkala, lighting the furnace (pretend this was necessary to get to the Labyrinth Isle) figuring out the Labyrinth & defeating the Guardians under it the game ends on a shot of Link looking over the Akkala region.

"Congratulations adventurer! You have taken another important step on the road to defeating Ganon & rescuing Zelda.  Join us next summer for another thrilling quest... The Legend of Zelda: The Mystery of Eventide Island!"

I'm very glad the game isn't broken up this way, but it just reinforces my belief that it is pretty close to the Ultimate Zelda adventure generator, & you can play it any way you want.

I alternate between hearts & stamina until I fill the second stamina wheel, then focus on hearts until I have enough for you-know-what, then fill the third stamina wheel before going back to hearts.

28 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I alternate between hearts & stamina until I fill the second stamina wheel, then focus on hearts until I have enough for you-know-what, then fill the third stamina wheel before going back to hearts.

There's an easy way to get that now, someone discovered it a few weeks back, mind blown!!