IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

Yes, that was always my most favourite thing about it on release. Watching people slowly realise (coming off the back of Skyward Sword) that they could just go a nywhere. And do whatever they want. The veil slowly lifting. As someone who found Skyward Sword absolutely suffocating it was brilliant.

On 26/04/2017 at 22:15, SpagMasterSwift said:

Yeah, I had more hearts than I thought, I've done 107 shrines!!!

Been playing in old school top down mode, it works mostly...

image.jpeg.2e7dc0164a0999950cbdb8490bd91f35.jpeg

image.jpeg.356a52e310e269578601d817b625d52c.jpeg

image.jpeg.ba5dcca10008da4b8d68718dde7ffa77.jpeg

image.jpeg.f18c20e238fdd2fa1bb34d0b2abc2123.jpeg

image.jpeg.5d4d31be1df63ad451fd4974528287cf.jpeg

image.jpeg.25e456a664df9af4f53f86e262171eb0.jpeg

image.jpeg.9ac6cede1f3dd8373c5b96731bf4f403.jpeg

image.jpeg.07c670a172b36ce54058a95eaae0f621.jpeg

image.jpeg.634ac1eb145facd943e4608ca429bc0c.jpeg

Plus, met this lovely lass...

image.jpeg.8b2ea19a9cf610fcfe4640a453c7b586.jpeg

:wub: this game

@meatbin

Any one tried any alternative ways to play? 

57 minutes ago, meatbin said:

That's cool!  I think all your screenshots are taken from outside, how does this work/look internally in buildings or Shrines?

It looks good but the shrines do lack variety. Would have been cool if the shrines were more themed. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been since 2012 that we've had a significant technological upgrade in our Nintendo consoles. And we all know they stick to the same tech for two consoles, so historically the next console should be a big step up - and fail as well, but never mind that.

I know they'll never have raytracing in their next console, but come on people, historically I'm right that we're due a technological leap in Nintendo's new hardware.

4aSZ.gif 

Believe bitches!!

While it might not be to everybody’s taste I love the fact we get the option to add graphical options to these older games.  You can just play with a res and fps (either solid 30fps or 60fps) boost with vanilla graphics.

BOTW2 is definitely gonna get delayed again to release at launch on the Switch Pro (which will be delayed due to chip shortages etc).

On the flip side, Switch emulation (not Wii U emulation, which is what you're seeing above) is chugging along at an OK rate, with BOTW being the prime focus so that BOTW2 can be emulated as soon as possibe.

On 23/01/2022 at 00:45, Festoon said:

Thankfully not, that video looks shit. Garbled-looking over saturated hi-res textures. Horrible.

They're just the standard textures from the game. There are no texture mods that I know of because they're too difficult to implement. What you're seeing here are shaders. 

1. A shader to introduce raytracing global illumination

2. A shader preset to adjust contrast/gamma/curves/tonemapping etc. I don't know which one he or she is using but they're basically instagram filters for your game applied via an overlay. There are a few built into the emulator which aim to give the game a bit more clarity and colour as it's very washed out at 4K. The more extreme ones are usually loaded with https://reshade.me/ which has been around forever. Allows you to tune to your monitor/tastes.

11 hours ago, Moz said:

BOTW2 is definitely gonna get delayed again to release at launch on the Switch Pro (which will be delayed due to chip shortages etc).

On the flip side, Switch emulation (not Wii U emulation, which is what you're seeing above) is chugging along at an OK rate, with BOTW being the prime focus so that BOTW2 can be emulated as soon as possibe.

They're just the standard textures from the game. There are no texture mods that I know of because they're too difficult to implement. What you're seeing here are shaders. 

1. A shader to introduce raytracing global illumination

2. A shader preset to adjust contrast/gamma/curves/tonemapping etc. I don't know which one he or she is using but they're basically instagram filters for your game applied via an overlay. There are a few built into the emulator which aim to give the game a bit more clarity and colour as it's very washed out at 4K. The more extreme ones are usually loaded with https://reshade.me/ which has been around forever. Allows you to tune to your monitor/tastes.

They look shit. 

lol, ok we get it. I don't think it benefits much from raytracing tbf, since it has a simplistic, cartoon style. Generally it just seems to make the game look higher contrast and the night is far too dark. However, give me all the resolution and LOD buffs. 👌

The raytracing isn’t adding contrast. The shader adding contrast is adding contrast. 

If you look at my screenshots upthread which got a lot of votes, they’re running at nearly 4K ultrawide with a shader to increase clarity (which includes a contrast buff) because it looks extremely washed out at high resolutions. Just not to the extremes those videos have gone to.

22 hours ago, Festoon said:

They look shit. 

Yeah, OK. See, you can just untick a box. Or tick a different box. And then it looks different. Or untick all the boxes and still run it at 4k 120fps. I think you’re still confusing a contrast boost for the sake of making some cinematic footage with everything else going on. 

Anyway, let’s not pretend the brilliant Nintendo art team envisioned the end product as a 720p aliased open world running at 22fps with masses of fog and a tiny LOD distance on a 7” screen. This was a Wii U game after all. The usual suspects always make the argument that it would be worse if it were better, and then trip over their tongues when the pro mode footage comes out. We’ve done this dance before lads. 

1 hour ago, Moz said:

The raytracing isn’t adding contrast. The shader adding contrast is adding contrast. 

If you look at my screenshots upthread which got a lot of votes, they’re running at nearly 4K ultrawide with a shader to increase clarity (which includes a contrast buff) because it looks extremely washed out at high resolutions. Just not to the extremes those videos have gone to.

Ah right fair enough. I didn't do a great deal of tinkering in Cemu because my machine isn't all that and I was happy just to get it running smoothly at a crisp resolution.

The raytracing adds global illumination (which looks to have bounce lighting too), the effect is pretty subtle but it does add a nice subtle realism to things. 

i.e. in this screen, the light bouncing off the grass would softly illuminate things nearby

image.thumb.png.bf6d9e4801d7b1db5fe18dd7c7721e71.png

Forced myself to fire the Switch up yesterday and stick this on. Not played it in years. It looks absolutely stunning. Messed around with the Motion settings on my new TV to fake 60fps and...........i can’t get over how well it works! So yeah, now playing BOTW again, 60fps on a 65inch screen. 

Just beat the Gerudo Desert Divine Animal thingy and it was absolutely sublime. Actually had to think about how to solve stuff for once. Remember when you used to have to do that in games? Lol. Took me back to playing through so many classic Zelda dungeons and I got loads of warm fuzzy feelings. Then wandered around for a bit and explored/cleared up some side missions. Turns out even though I’d played it for a ludicrous amount of time when it first came out, I’d still got that dungeon and the Death Mountain one to do and about a billion other things (including loads of Shrines still to find) plus I’ve never been near Ganon. 

1 hour ago, CrichStand said:

Forced myself to fire the Switch up yesterday and stick this on. Not played it in years. It looks absolutely stunning. Messed around with the Motion settings on my new TV to fake 60fps and...........i can’t get over how well it works! So yeah, now playing BOTW again, 60fps on a 65inch screen. 

Just beat the Gerudo Desert Divine Animal thingy and it was absolutely sublime. Actually had to think about how to solve stuff for once. Remember when you used to have to do that in games? Lol. Took me back to playing through so many classic Zelda dungeons and I got loads of warm fuzzy feelings. Then wandered around for a bit and explored/cleared up some side missions. Turns out even though I’d played it for a ludicrous amount of time when it first came out, I’d still got that dungeon and the Death Mountain one to do and about a billion other things (including loads of Shrines still to find) plus I’ve never been near Ganon. 

Stop this!!! You're seriously tempting me into another play through 😛

I'm in a weird place with this. I really want to play it again, either by going back and mopping up Shrines/Quests or starting a whole new playthrough. The issue is I want the sequel to feel as new and special as possible and we don't know how much they've tweaked the map. I don't want to waste potential for nostalgic "oh look at that, that's back!" by playing the game again six months before I get to revisit it in the sequel. 

I'm definitely thinking about it too much but I think I'm going to hold out for number 2. The first is one of the most special gaming moments of my life, and I'd love to experience even half of that again when this absolutely definitely 100% isn't delayed and releases this year. 

12 hours ago, robdood said:

The raytracing adds global illumination (which looks to have bounce lighting too), the effect is pretty subtle but it does add a nice subtle realism to things. 

i.e. in this screen, the light bouncing off the grass would softly illuminate things nearby

image.thumb.png.bf6d9e4801d7b1db5fe18dd7c7721e71.png

Global illumination is the absolute tits. In comparison shots like this it looks subtle, almost to the extent of pointlessness. Much like comparing ray-tracing with well-produced pre-baked lighting.

Get the game in motion on your screen and play it for longer than four seconds and you'll be sold immediately. The way the light bounces around and creates the illusion of not really realism, but in the least definitely real lighting within a constructed world is in my opinion just as immersive as VR. I can't imagine playing Cyberpunk any other way, and to be honest I don't want to spoil BOTW by sampling all this stuff on my PC. There's just no going back at all.