IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

This thread caused me to pop my cart in for a quick go…look when I last played it:

16C5C03B-5768-4D82-A22C-888162E706AB.thumb.jpeg.8e1c80366dcd262a8654d158791c5610.jpeg

In no time at all I had my stealth suit on and was stealing the sweet stuff from round a sleeping Hinox’s neck.

Have arrived at the vast Gerudo desert, and with that I have at least achieved sitting on top of all the towers in Hyrule.

Like everywhere else in the game it seems, Nintendo have nailed the idea of what a desert actually is like! It's a genuinely magnificent view. The ancient ruins of long dead civilisations are super too.

Currently cooking up some hot/cold elixirs at the bizarre and next session will seemingly involve finding a bloke about a dress.

And probably look at doing something about the giant camel fucking up the environment with all those sandstorms.

What a game. 

On 24/03/2022 at 19:10, ZOK said:

This thread caused me to pop my cart in for a quick go…look when I last played it:

16C5C03B-5768-4D82-A22C-888162E706AB.thumb.jpeg.8e1c80366dcd262a8654d158791c5610.jpeg

In no time at all I had my stealth suit on and was stealing the sweet stuff from round a sleeping Hinox’s neck.

I was going to do the same thing but I cannot for the life of me find my cartridge. 😭

I just have no idea what I'm doing in this game 🤣

I spent ages getting a sword (Flamespear?) thinking it sounded great but then an hour later it's almost broken so I feel like getting it was just a waste of time. Can you repair them or is that it?!

I really struggle with no direction. I need to be told what to do! I have four hearts - Should I even be attempting a Divine Beast yet or is it too early for me?

I’ve found it best to just go for a wander. I mean, you’re given directions all the way through really, but you just need to go get yourself distracted and see what happens maybe? 

I’ve sorted out my camel issues and so now before travelling to Hyrule castle the task is the wander the lands finding my lost memories whilst getting waylaid by more shrines and kokiri I think.

On 28/03/2022 at 15:25, Sng said:

I spent ages getting a sword (Flamespear?) thinking it sounded great but then an hour later it's almost broken so I feel like getting it was just a waste of time. Can you repair them or is that it?!

I really struggle with no direction. I need to be told what to do! I have four hearts - Should I even be attempting a Divine Beast yet or is it too early for me?

Surely if you need some direction, just head to your adventure log and select one of the quests as your destination. Though I’d be amazed if anybody could follow a marker on the map and not get distracted along the way. 

This game’s alright I suppose:

5D7EEEB5-5246-4997-9C48-3CD2D68C6024.thumb.jpeg.5531ebb012659f56f5e56599eda505ae.jpeg

On 28/03/2022 at 15:25, Sng said:

Try to find Shrines - keep exploring and they'll pop up here and there.  This will add direction.

For weapons, they are non-repairable.  You can unlock more inventory slots for weapons, shields, and bows.  Don't be afraid to use your best weapons for better enemies, there are plenty of good weapons around the world you'll find, especially as you progress.  Try not to be precious about them. 

12 hours ago, JoeK said:

So, the first run through has been done. There will be more run throughs over the years I'm absolutely sure. 

I've tried to type my thoughts about the game a number of times, and I'm having trouble finding the right ones!

And I can't do it. 

I can't write well enough (or at least not at this particular moment in time!) to articulate just how good the game is. Which is strange, because I can waffle on for ages about RDR2 and Witcher 3 - which are the best games I've ever played. BotW joins the ranks quite easily. 

So I have a holy trinity of these things. 

If gaming was some kind of herculean and noble task, I can die happy in the knowledge that I've had the pleasure of being around when games like this are made and fill me with so much joy and happiness.

Jolly good show.

Good stuff. 

It is indeed a game that I personally find difficult to articulate how good it really is, there is so much to it, but woven together in a subtle and thoughtful way. 

Are you going to try the DLC? Champions Ballad is well worth it 

does Zelda's frame rate improve on the OLED switch? (in docked mode)

it's never been a problem, but off the back of Elden Ring im like holy shit this is choppy 😕

I don’t think I played it properly. I approached it like a traditional Zelda game.

I headed more or less to the first beast but kept getting battered as I didn’t have enough hearts or decent weapons!

So I gave up and tried another beast and made the same mistake lmao!

I need to dedicate a whole day to the game and start again 

Yes, the early to mid parts of the game should be all about shrine hunting if you want to give yourself much less hassle with the beasts.

Obviously it’s technically possible to go off from the Great Plateau and beat Ganon in your pants , but no-one playing the game normally will be able to.

8 hours ago, probotector said:

I don’t think I played it properly. I approached it like a traditional Zelda game.

I headed more or less to the first beast but kept getting battered as I didn’t have enough hearts or decent weapons!

So I gave up and tried another beast and made the same mistake lmao!

I need to dedicate a whole day to the game and start again 

Don't view it as approaching it 'incorrectly' and restart, just take the learning that you need to be a bit tougher and go shrine hunting. Embrace the world and the mistakes you make in it.

Once you get to the region of the beast, explore for shrines like others have said, go about upgrading either hearts or stamina. Get as many weapons as possible. Avoid conflict early on, either use your environment to defeat foes or use the tools you have like bombs, magnesis etc. 

A good thing to do is to seek out Hateno village and go into the armour shop to get a good armour. There is a Hylian tunic there that is a good starter armour. 

Yeah, switch from story progress to explorer mode and you'll have a lot more fun.

I like to have a bit of structure so when I played I wouldn't try to unlock the next piece of the map until I had done a decent amount of exploring in the current one.

I'd still go a wondering in these area when something caught my eye but I mainly focused on once section at a time.

The first thing I did after getting off the Great Plateau and heading out to Kakariko Village as instructed was to seek out all the towers to unlock the map. Obviously there were many distractions along the way, but it’s only now that I am really exploring the different regions in detail. 

Yeah I did the towers first, doing shrines along the way, hunting out Korok seeds, taking out enemy camps, shitting it and legging it whenever I saw a guardian, catching horses, taking on side quests and many many other distractions. 

I think I found the game perfectly pitched in terms of difficulty. I’m terrible at games where even a hint of skill is required but I never had many moments of flinging the controller across the room. 

But…I never did kill a Lynel, nor did I take down that big bastard in the desert so What do I know.

So many things left to do! 

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

I think I found the game perfectly pitched in terms of difficulty. I’m terrible at games where even a hint of skill is required but I never had many moments of flinging the controller across the room. 

But…I never did kill a Lynel, nor did I take down that big bastard in the desert so What do I know.

There’s a particular technique to Lynel spanking, it’s pretty easy when you get it down and becomes even easier when you have a few Lynel bows in your inventory…I’ve not done it in ages but you can probably also use the Duplex bows to great effect that you get from any of the pop up banana clan assassins you kill.

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

oh wow!  You've got to take the Lynel's down - it's worth getting in amongst it.  Stasis and bows are your friends for Lynels.  By the time I had 100%'d the game (or at least, did all the shrines) - I rocked up all the way to Ganon with Zelda's horse and full Guardian gear - absolutely twatted the Lynels on the way.

For a while though they were properly terrifying - I'd get to an area and you'd just see one standing there.  Oh shit.

The big things in the desert are actually pretty easy - they look worse than they are.

Genuinely envious of someone who still has so much to do.

Definitely get the DLC though - it has the best 'dungeon' 

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

oh oh oh... have you been to *that* island?

If you know, you know.

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

oh oh oh... have you been to *that* island?

If you know, you know.

The one where I’m left in my pants? Yes, but had to ‘nope’ out, and then forgot all about it until you mentioned it!

10 minutes ago, JoeK said:

The one where I’m left in my pants? Yes, but had to ‘nope’ out, and then forgot all about it until you mentioned it!

Little tip there…load up on potions/meals to give you a buff just before you drop onto the shore, that will give you ten minutes of extra juice.