The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

revlob

11 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

I really hope there is an option to move sprint to left analogue stick click, jump/climb to B and stealth to X. 

I'm guessing the chances of that happening are 0 though.

Try playing the game before moaning about the control scheme.

Just now, Avuncular said:

Try playing the game before moaning about the control scheme.

It's called having a discussion?

Have you played The Last Guardian? The awkward control scheme completely kills it for many many people. As a community we are used to almost a standardised control scheme for games where the placement of the B button on a Nintendo controller (X on Playstation, A on Xbox) is predominantly the jump button, it makes sense to the masses, feels right.

Sprint feels normal on the click on the left stick, I have been playing some Gears of War 4 recently and it's very strange having it on the A button (B on a Nintendo controller, X on the Playstation). When you play a game that changes this it feels odd. 

6 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

It's called having a discussion?

Have you played The Last Guardian? The awkward control scheme completely kills it for many many people. As a community we are used to almost a standardised control scheme for games where the placement of the B button on a Nintendo controller (X on Playstation, A on Xbox) is predominantly the jump button, it makes sense to the masses, feels right.

Sprint feels normal on the click on the left stick, I have been playing some Gears of War 4 recently and it's very strange having it on the A button (B on a Nintendo controller, X on the Playstation). When you play a game that changes this it feels odd. 

I haven't played The Last Guardian, so I can't comment on the control scheme. Just as you haven't played this.

I get the impression the sprint is a hold to sprint rather than a single click/press, holding in an analogue stick to sprint for lengthy periods can be a bit of a pain. I'm sure they've tested it thoroughly and that's the optimal scheme they found (Though if there is a chance I'd probably remap sprint to a shoulder button, but I am a deviant)

Themed dungeons being out is a shame but then how many times have we tackled the Fire/Ice/Forest temple/shrine. I hope the shrines have some degrees of uniqueness beyond layout and puzzles as it might drag 80 or so shrines in to be visiting essentially the same place, but there will be variety in the overworld I'm sure. The shrines are almost sounding like one enormous underground dungeon that you solve in chunks over the course of the game.

2 minutes ago, Avuncular said:

I haven't played The Last Guardian, so I can't comment on the control scheme. Just as you haven't played this.

Why does this bother you so much?

We might as well lock this thread until the game's out then as nobody has played it so by your logic there's nothing to discuss. 

31 minutes ago, RobNoyce said:

I get the impression the sprint is a hold to sprint rather than a single click/press, holding in an analogue stick to sprint for lengthy periods can be a bit of a pain. I'm sure they've tested it thoroughly and that's the optimal scheme they found (Though if there is a chance I'd probably remap sprint to a shoulder button, but I am a deviant)

Hadn't even thought of this, would definitely make sense and if is the case I think it would be good on a shoulder button like you mention.

8 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

You know.. that right analogue stick looks badly placed. I wonder if my thumb is going to keep hitting it - kinda similar to how i have that issue with the wii pro controller.

From various reports that does seem a real issue

Obviously the right stick has to be where it is for two-player split Joy-conning across other games, so we'll have to live with it. If it proves too much of a Zelda hinderance, then the whole set-up might help provide the justification you need to spunk a massive wad on a Pro controller.

5 hours ago, g wings said:

From various reports that does seem a real issue

Got any links to those reports? Interested to read if it was a minor hindrance or something serious that caused acheyness.

Regardless, that image was just enough to tip me over towards preordering the Pro Controller for usual comfort.

22 minutes ago, tnman said:

Got any links to those reports? Interested to read if it was a minor hindrance or something serious that caused acheyness.

Regardless, that image was just enough to tip me over towards preordering the Pro Controller for usual comfort.

Yes, sorry I just mean from some videos, first impressions and, of course, Spainkiller

18 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

*raises hand*

It's a minor hindrance, but a hindrance nonetheless.

I really hope Nintendo (or another company) eventually makes a set of JoyCon that aren't focused on symmetry, but rather on one player comfort and playability.

But Nintendo...

So let's hope another company sorts it

To those that have played it, how does the game look visually compared to the initial reveal? I'm still getting both it and a Switch and greatly look forward to this brave new Zelda direction, but it looks as if it's lost a lot of the lush graphical density and detail, like they've stretched out the information in the landscape over a broader space. To me it seems to have a big empty Twilight Princess vibe in the recent videos. 

36 minutes ago, JimmytheMook said:

To those that have played it, how does the game look visually compared to the initial reveal? I'm still getting both it and a Switch and greatly look forward to this brave new Zelda direction, but it looks as if it's lost a lot of the lush graphical density and detail, like they've stretched out the information in the landscape over a broader space. To me it seems to have a big empty Twilight Princess vibe in the recent videos. 

Yeah, i'm sure it will be great and all but the spaces do look very empty.

I've watched some videos now that I wish I hadn't. It certainly doesn't look that bland to me. Very little in the way of grey area. 

We've yet to see anything in the way of towns and markets if I'm not mistaken. In games like these I often find those types of places a little overbearing as there is usually too much to take in all at once. The solace of a huge field or dense forest can be a welcome retreat. 

I think I'm actually going to try role-playing this from the get go. I've never really done that in a Zelda game before, however it looks like a lot of the tools are in place for that now. 

Five weeks! 

1 hour ago, joe bazooka said:

Spot the people who have never been in the countryside before.

Yeah I hear you, I grew up in the country side and fields in all directions is boring. The game looks great, I'm well into it, but it's reasonable to look at the respective graphical presentation of the environment compared with the reveal. My guess is they packed a lot of different elements into that first look that would otherwise be spaced out considerably.
Another thing is the apparent colour desaturation that has changed since the first look. Everything looks a lot more subdued. One could argue that is better, it's fairly subjective, my guess would be they are gunning for a more dramatic contrast with the explosions and magical effects.

So much positivity in this thread. You guys should dip into the Nintendo Switch thread too.

Apart from the trailer a few weeks ago i haven't seen anything for this game. I just want to be pleasantly surprised. I hope i actually finish this one too as i have never finished a Zelda game :(