IGNORED

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Mr Do 71

I found what I was missing. Like I said in my earlier post, a thorough examination of the level was required but not too arduous because of how compact the level is. If there's something hidden, there's only so many places it could be.

iclG1dEKSZafU.jpg

Just done the first 10 levels and so far it's great. My favourite level so far has been the cherry one. Hope they manage to keep it fresh with lots of new ideas, a la 3D World.

And it doesn't look anywhere near as nice on the gamepad as it does on the TV, gooner. Boot her off.

Is it at all likely that this game will get DLC?

I wondered if that might have been part of the reason for making it its own release rather than an add on for 3D World.

I wonder whether it was originally designed to be an episodic game rather than a boxed release at launch. The level structure would certainly suggest so.

What would an amiibo do for a game like this?

Probably unlock a special level based on the character, but they may not have designed them yet.

I have no idea how this kind of thing works at Nintendo, but I can just imagine the game designers coming up with gameplay ideas & thinking they'd make a great Captain Toad level (even if they're not actually working on Captain Toad) as each level is so self-contained & streamlined around the elements in it. There's no wasted space, so to speak.

The good Captain's lack of acrobatic prowess also means the levels don't have to designed so that you can't bypass stuff like Mario could, once again allowing the puzzles & ideas the level is built around to be the focus & there's no need for arbitrary obstacles like massive walls or fences.

My daughter and I pretty much completed this over Christmas and whilst really enjoying it I don't think there's enough content for a full price release.

They've tried padding it out but most of the tougher challenges are a bit rubbish. Things like hunting every pixel of a level for an invisible object and really right time trials aren't as interesting as some of the stuff you get in the bonus section. Sadly those are underused with only 2 or 3 of the mummy levels for example. I'm a bit surprised as the studios other games have plenty of novel ideas in them and I was expecting 3D Land levels of extra content after doing the main bits.

Genuine puzzles are also few and far between which is a shame. Mostly you just move the camera about a bit and that's you done.

I more or less finished it last week (I unlocked the infinite mummy-me maze level but haven't cleared it yet) and I thought it was pretty good value for money. It was a lot of fun throughout and became a decent challenge towards the end.

I'd like if there was more of an incentive to replay levels though. The target times don't really seem worth bothering with as they're barely even registered as an accomplishment. I don't imagine I'll bother playing through the whole thing again.

This sucker is £44.99 in Game though, but Game can fuck off. I got mine online for £25.

This does feel like a number of DLC "episodes" to extend SM3DW that was rethought into a full package. Maybe the Mario Kart DLC didn't do that well...

Probably more about getting another retail release out.

I'd like if there was more of an incentive to replay levels though. The target times don't really seem worth bothering with as they're barely even registered as an accomplishment. I don't imagine I'll bother playing through the whole thing again.

I think this was my issue. The green stars in Galaxy were padding but were interesting enough for me to play through again. I thought there'd be something similar here but unless I've missed it there isn't and the time trials thing appears to be an afterthought (we didn't even notice it until much later).

Still a great game and I'm glad I bought it, I just think I was expecting more after "Game Over" which is what the Tokyo studios has done for their last few titles.

This sucker is £44.99 in Game though, but Game can fuck off. I got mine online for £25.

This does feel like a number of DLC "episodes" to extend SM3DW that was rethought into a full package. Maybe the Mario Kart DLC didn't do that well...

Mario kart DLC sold very well. Besides captain toad was announced before the DLC was available.

Played the first chapter and it's a lovely game, well worth the money. I can see there isn't going to be much replay value which is disappointing but it's still certainly worth owning from what I've played so far. It's suddenly made me want to play Kula World again!