Final Fantasy Type-0 (PS4/Xbone)

MW_Jimmy

The first hour was pretty bad. Loads of long cutscenes, some pretty ropey looking graphics and a confusing tutorial.

This. Incomprehensible, dreary and very easy turns into incomprehensible dreary and difficult rather too suddenly (still in the tutorial) for my liking. I'll come back to it but many won't given the need to plod through from the save point again.

Yeah, the first hour is entirely unconvincing. I've reached chapter 2 but I'm not sure I actually have any urge to carry on. I'll try and force myself to finish another chapter or two to see if it improves but it feels quite rough to play. The camera sensitivity seems way too high and there are crazy amounts of motion blur.

jesus chris that fucking motion blur! Did they not test this? It's like some inexperienced programmer has discovered the motion blur effect for the first time and in his enthusiasm whacked it up to EXTREMU setting. I didn't really have time to play this before Bloodborne anyway, so I don't mind playing just the FFXV demo for now but they better have fixed this when I return to it. For me it's unplayable with the ludicrous amount of motion blur.

Finding it alright so far, just so long as I remember NOT to touch the right stick as that motion blur is giving me a proper head ache, the camera moves pretty quickly when controlling your character on the left stick, unlike most other games, so it is alright, just have to get out of the muscle reflex of turning with the right stick.

Haven't got a sodding clue what is going on, turned off the tutorial fluff when offered it as I would rather run round and try stuff out, especially after the amount of shit thrown at me in the XV demo.

Nice to have a new ( well, newish) FF to play through, even if it is still set in the XIII universe, and the graphics don't look terrible, you can tell it is low poly but it was obviously pushing the poor old PSP to it's limits, how they managed to turn a 2GB game into just under 23GB I will never know, thos etextures can't take up that much space surely?

I'd recommend playing this on a PSP with the very good english fan translation patched in, if you can. No motion blur, and it looks far more acceptable, even quite impressive, on a little screen.

It's also structured like a handheld game and makes more sense in that context, so it's baffling that they didn't bother with a Vita version.

But you don't need to use the right stick to lock on. run around with the left stick, when enemies are around tap r1 (i have it set to tap) to lock on, when dead tap r1 again and it will automatically lock onto the next nearest enemy.

But what when you want to switch targets to take out the softer ones rather than ones with more health? Or the ones who run in closer? Or switch back to fallen targets to explode them when you extract phantoma?

I'm not quite sure why you'd want to avoid switching targets. It's very easy and doesn't really cause any camera problems unlike when you're using the right stick to shift it when you're running around.

Both ways work, but for me I just nudge the left stick and re tap r1 to switch.

Just done the battle of Togoreth mission which was pretty damn epic. After a slowish start I'm really liking this now. That was a proper tense battle which made me use almost all my cadets.

Fair enough, but sounds like you're making it hard for yourself- do you not find it hard when you've got a few enemies around you and you want to target the one on the ground to explode him?

Yeah, Togoreth was one slog of a mission, much longer than the previous couple- nearly burned through all my cadets too. Luckily I didn't have too much trouble with the boss fight- it just seemed to have the break sight icon a lot so I could hammer it. I'm starting to think that I shouldn't use the SP support system by default though.

It's definitely a slow start, and a confusing one. They drop loads of different systems on you pretty much all from the off, with very little explanation, then expect you to be able to take full advantage of them. What makes it worse is that with break sight and kill sight, battles can either be over in the blink of an eye (almost by luck at the beginning), or take a lot longer. So it takes a little while to understand the general feel and flow of combat. It does have a very heavy action/beat em up aspect though- most of the kill/break sights come after an attack, so you find yourself dodging those and then smashing the enemy when they're exposed. It helps to learn those patterns of attack too, since again like action games, there are tells.

I think I would have prefered it if the 14 cadets were introduced piecemeal rather than all at once, or had brief introductory sections designed to display the different play styles they have. I'm relying on the arena and repeating missions to get a feel for some of them, but it feels pretty overwhelming have 14 different combat options from day one. It's the same with unlocking all their skills too- you really don't have much of an idea what to upgrade until you get a good feel for the characters and how you'll play them.

It's not how most modern RPGs operate- usually there's at least a certain degree of handholding before you're given freedom. Here, you're given almost full freedom right from the off. It's like coming into an RPG with every single party member already there, and that's pretty rare. It's not necessarily a bad thing, it just means changing your mindset a little. I can see a lot of people giving this half an hour, and then never coming back to it though.

Was havibng a lot of fun with this last night, I am still not very far, only just been allowed to go outside when I want :P

As for locking on, I am using Rem and she has a physical attack instead of targeted weapons, so it's just a case of pointing her at a target and mashing a button, it might not be the right way to play, but it works for me :)

One thing that is annoying me though is having to use the D-Pad to move through menu's, it's a slight niggle, but one that catches me out every time, why can't I just use the analogue stick for moving the MC and menus?

@Retroguy

Some good points there, particularly about the overwhelming effect of having the full team available from the outset . It was certainly a weird feeling from my perspective to fail a tutorial so quickly. Going back through it all again I saw that they changed the team make up and the re-raise capability of the others for that last last section v the L'cie which didn't exactly help. Anyway, I basically relied on Ace's dodge jump ability to stay out of trouble in that part. Also, changing the control of lock on to a tap of RB helps. Still think harvesting should be mapped to a different button from the basic attack.

So now my A team is Ace, Nine and Queen and we went through the Corsi caves a couple of times so hopefully will be in reasonable shape for Tagoreth. Not got much choice about it really since the clock has now run down.

Remember to leave one cadet in secret training at the end of each game play session so they level up nicely while you are away.

@Retroguy

Some good points there, particularly about the overwhelming effect of having the full team available from the outset . It was certainly a weird feeling from my perspective to fail a tutorial so quickly. Going back through it all again I saw that they changed the team make up and the re-raise capability of the others for that last last section v the L'cie which didn't exactly help. Anyway, I basically relied on Ace's dodge jump ability to stay out of trouble in that part. Also, changing the control of lock on to a tap of RB helps. Still think harvesting should be mapped to a different button from the basic attack.

So now my A team is Ace, Nine and Queen and we went through the Corsi caves a couple of times so hopefully will be in reasonable shape for Tagoreth. Not got much choice about it really since the clock has now run down.

Remember to leave one cadet in secret training at the end of each game play session so they level up nicely while you are away.

I think the margin between success and failure in this is very slight- some of the boss attacks are pretty powerful, you can get pummelled and miss out on a killsight by a fraction of a second.

I went a little way into Corsei caves, got swamped by an almost never ended supply of those cat like creatures, killed the three I needed for a task, and then ran away- you'll probably have no trouble in Tagoreth if I got through it :P I'm still making my mind up as to the best use of time between missions- at the moment I'm just going for all the little incidental conversations and then trying to do all the lectures I can, since apparently they're pretty powerful.

It's annoying that you can only take on one task at once (and that you need to hand it in to complete it)- if that means killing creatures in the outside world, that's 6 hours gone for one task. It's doubly frustrating when you pick up a task to kill creatures on the world map, but then find another task say for items which you alread have on your way out of Akademia- you have to take the new task, which cancels out your old one, then go all the way back to the original task giver before going all the way back out again. Akademia needs an option where you can teleport to any location from anywhere (rather than just the teleporter in the central hall).

It's worth checking to the other towns on the map though- one there had a task which I was able to do en route to a mission, thus avoiding the in between mission limit.

Eh? How d'you do that?

The guy on the right in the Arena. He doesn't make it obvious, but speaking to him prompts the game to save and returns you to the title menu. Then you earn EXP for the active character you were playing depending on how long it is before you load up the game again (I think in 2 hour sections, although it caps at 24 hours apparently).

Eh? How d'you do that?

Go to the arena area off to one side of the fountain plaza in the Academy. Use the crystal to switch to the cadet you want trained and speak to the NPC on the right hand side. If you agree you immediately get dumped out of the game to the title screen with a special save status ("in training").

I'm warming to this a bit more now having gotten access to both Eidolons and the triforce attack (or whatever it is called). Togoreth wasn't too bad and having Queen on hand with thunder magic at the end paid dividends. In fact Ace was the only character to die there other than the one who had to be sacrificed to get hold of Ifrit.

My schedule for the lengthy break before the next mission so far has been:

attend classes

go back to the caves to get the other members of the squad up to level 16 or so (i've a feeling leaving some behind will come back and bite me in the ass in future). Discovered that both Sice and Seven are relatively easy to control and can do a lot of damage but all the ranged fighters seem either weedy or tricky to control in the field.

went back to the academy to get a few items and cut scenes (there's an interesting revelation about Rem)

left Rem in secret training

and will still have time to go out again tomorrow perhaps further afield before starting the mission.