Final Fantasy Type-0 (PS4/Xbone)

MW_Jimmy

How are people getting on with this now? I finally bit the bullet as the price dropped to £28 on Amazon for XBone but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it or not. Sounds like I need to put a few hours aside for starting it so as not to lose all faith and never come back though!

I'm still playing it and enjoying it. It's got some good ideas but it's let down by its implementation and presentation.

The game seems very set up for multiple playthroughs but I can't see myself doing that. It's annoying that they've seemingly locked away so much content for the second playthrough - I keep coming across side quests that have a recommended level way higher than what I'm on and what the next main story mission has as its recommended level, but you have to do them before the next story mission or miss them.

Meanwhile, there's not a whole lot for me to do in order to level up for the next story mission. It's a good job they've got the 'secret training' feature or the game would be really grindy.

So I'd recommend putting a few hours in at the start to get into it, but then spreading out your playthrough over a few weeks so your characters have time to level up when you're not playing. If you do that then it's actually quite short for a Final Fantasy game. I'm half way through chapter 7 after 25 hours (my understanding is there are 8 chapters) and I did a fair bit of grinding at the start before I found out about the secret training option so you can get to the point I'm at in less time than that. The story missions themselves and generally really good, with interesting layouts and ideas.

I've finished this now (and platinumed it) - it look me 30 hours in the end.

Ending thoughts (not too specific, but still talking about the ending)

I think the ending let the game down a bit. The actual end to the story happening fairly anti-climatically in Chapter 7 and then Chapter 8 not having a whole lot to do with anything that had gone before was a bit weird.

And how the final boss worked was nice thematically, I guess, but I would have preferred a proper fight where I got to use the skills and characters I'd been building up.

• 3 months later...

Started this a couple of weeks ago, and I'm really enjoying it. The focus on action and combat and playing an entire team is really interesting. What really works nicely is how different each character feels to play. I'm currently upto Chapter 4 and so far I've refused to level up and grind. As such I've been level 16-18 up against level 25+ enemies which has made things a little, erm, tricky :D

So on Chapter 4 I managed to keep getting to the mid-level saves and towards the end I had just 3 characters left alive - Trey, Sice and Cinque. I got somewhat stuck and eventually realised that Trey would be best placed to take out the boss with the bow and arrow. Lost Sice in the process but got to the next checkpoint - 2 characters. Then ran through the next section with Trey and ended up at another boss. Lost Trey, but had a group-attack which took out the boss there. 1 character left and now I was on the final boss.

Now, for those who've played, Cinque wields a huge mace that is much too heavy for her to swing. Getting criticals is more like a hope than skill. Still, tried the boss and on my 2nd attempt managed two sets of critical hits which almost killed him off. Spent the next hour or so, and 20-30 attempts to try and solo the boss with one of the least adept characters. It was probably more challenging than anything in Bloodborne.

Immensely satisfying (but didn't land a single critical hit on him). Think I'll start getting some level-ups now....

• 2 weeks later...

Got the platinum trophy:

post-163-0-99201500-1441235025_thumb.jpg

I've sunk a lot of hours into this (60+ and counting), and I have a real mixed view of the game, but overall it's worthwhile because the combat is just so much fun.

I cannot remember another RPG that has had realtime combat as good as this. I think Final Fantasy XV should try and learn a few things from Type-0 - it's smooth, fast and responsive. It's incredibly satisfying working your way through an area you are clearly under-levelled for and using the killsights to your advantage and switching characters/playstyles on the fly. Even when a character dies it's so quick to replace them immediately in battle. All the characters feel unique to control and I found the personalties of the unit, as a whole, very likeable.

But yeah, there is horrific design choices all over - whoever thought that locking away the most interesting content on a second playthrough is an idiot. In fact, I cannot remember a game where the second playthrough was so different (and better) than the first! Even now I'll keep playing because there is more to see. Levelling system is completely fucked. Story is garbage.

I've definitely worked around the problems it has - and I'm not damning it with faint praise - I've found it to be one of the most enjoyable Final Fantasy games I've played.

Hmm, what does the second playthrough add? I've only lightly touched this, and while I quite liked the combat there was nothing else keeping me interested (and as much as I enjoyed said combat, for me its impact is lessened by having played the superlative Resonance of Fate, which offers just brilliant 3-man party RPG combat - though does lack the variety in fighting styles of Type 0)

Hmm, what does the second playthrough add? I've only lightly touched this, and while I quite liked the combat there was nothing else keeping me interested (and as much as I enjoyed said combat, for me its impact is lessened by having played the superlative Resonance of Fate, which offers just brilliant 3-man party RPG combat - though does lack the variety in fighting styles of Type 0)

I would consider it a spoiler if the plot wasn't so dumb, but the 2nd playthrough allows you to do a completely different mission at every stage of the game. I found the variety in these much better than in the 1st playthrough and essentially it doubles the size of the game. I've also been able to undertake the expert missions because of my higher level and these tend to be pretty varied too. There is just a lot of content that can be easily missed and ignored.

I've been interested in playing Resonance of Fate in the past - I should probably do something about that.

I would consider it a spoiler if the plot wasn't so dumb, but the 2nd playthrough allows you to do a completely different mission at every stage of the game. I found the variety in these much better than in the 1st playthrough and essentially it doubles the size of the game. I've also been able to undertake the expert missions because of my higher level and these tend to be pretty varied too. There is just a lot of content that can be easily missed and ignored.

I've been interested in playing Resonance of Fate in the past - I should probably do something about that.

That sounds pretty interesting. I'll try to persevere with the game, see how things go as my characters level up and accrue new abilities (and see if I can work out how the flute works...). The one thing I couldn't figure out, which did annoy me in combat, was how to stop the AI killing my allies with its ineptitude. Is there anything I was missing there?

And yes, you should definitely try Resonance of Fate. Like Type 0, it's very much the combat that's the appeal rather than the story, though I would say it at least manages to be weird enough to amuse, where Type 0's writing has just been tedious.

That sounds pretty interesting. I'll try to persevere with the game, see how things go as my characters level up and accrue new abilities (and see if I can work out how the flute works...). The one thing I couldn't figure out, which did annoy me in combat, was how to stop the AI killing my allies with its ineptitude. Is there anything I was missing there?

Probably not. As I mentioned I had to work around a few of the problems of the game in order to really enjoy it. I tended to go into most battles with the expectation that most of my team would die, often stupidly. Even at high-levels the AI might not heal itself which might infuriate you! I would always have hi-potions equipped so that I could always switch character and heal quickly. Remember that you can cycle through the team in both left and right directions.

I probably would have already bought Resonance of Fate if I could find a physical copy, but that's looking tricky to do now unfortunately.

It's a hybrid - a turn-based system with real-time elements - there are tutorial videos out there which explain it, but the simplest way to think of it is like a tighter, more tactical but less strategic Valkyria Chronicles. With more jumping.

• 3 months later...

Just started this and I'm… thoroughly confused. Setting-wise it's a mish-mash of VI, VIII, IX, XII and XIII, and god knows which others. The story makes absolutely no sense after two hours of play, characters are flat or infodump whatever they are supposed to dump. Your team appears and disappears whenever the game feels like it and oh, a part of the continent got destroyed, so here's a 10 second cutscene and no impact whatsoever.

That said, the combat feels like an evolved version of Crisis Core, kind of what I was hoping for. It's pretty fast has some nice ideas, and generally just feels fluent enough to keep going on (if the game would let me). I'm currently more open to grinding levels on the world map then getting on with the story, but it's early still.

But really, impale whoever thought it would be a great idea to reuse the word l'Cie.