IGNORED

Exclusive game faceoff: 360 vs PS3. Which was best?

DocG

For my money, certainly in my time, the 360 is the greatest of them all.

My Dreamcast says FUCK YOU BUDDY.

Consoles I have truly loved, in no particular order except the Dreamcast is first because of course it is:

• Dreamcast
  • Vita
  • GBA SP
  • Nintendo DS

Nothing else gets to be on that list I think. I really like my PS3 but it spent too long being dull to make me love it.

The trouble with trying to compare 360 and PS3 gaming is that it's not in any way a level playing field.

The 360 pad is amazing, the Dual Shock is abysmal. Anything else is an irrelevance, really.

Some of those 360 exclusives have since appeared on PS3 (Minecraft and Fez for definite, but there may be others). Fez is pretty recent though - the PS3 / PS4 release was just a few months back.

There may be some that went the other way too, from PS3 to 360.

Minecraft isn't out yet, and Fez came out after the poll was done, I think. It's OK for the stats to reflect how the world was a couple of months ago rather than today. It doesn't change the broad conclusions. (It's also possible Wiper missed the odd platform off when he compiled the original table, but this has already taken long enough so I'm not going to double check all his work!)

The trouble with trying to compare 360 and PS3 gaming is that it's not in any way a level playing field.

The 360 pad is amazing, the Dual Shock is abysmal. Anything else is an irrelevance, really.

Well that's strange, then, because lots of rllmukers seem to really like lots of PS3 games.

It's difficult because for certain types of games one console was far better than the other: the 360 didn't have naughty dog, for example, and the PS3 didn't have Halo (which was a different sort of FPS to the likes of CoD). I don't know that a straight apples to apples shoot-out applies or that I'll get through the generation without buying a Bone.

Besides, my comment in the other thread was more about how Sony fail repeatedly to hit announced ship dates, despite their console apparently being much easier to develop for.

LBP is as much fun as you want it to be. I spent an afternoon addicted to someone's American Gladiators time trial stage. But, yes, the game that ships is nothing out of the ordinary as far as 2D platformers go.

Critics liked it for the same reason the mighty Nintendo are now attempting to perfect it with Mario Maker.

I still think my original point stands, however. Something like two thirds or three quarters of your gaming time is likely to be spent on games that are available for more than one console. For all the noise about your Uncharteds and your Forzas, true exclusive games are less important. So when you come to spend money on a console, don't forget factors like "which one runs cross platforms games best" (which was the 360 last gen and the PS4 now), "which pad do I prefer", "which network are my friends active on". These aren't factors the games companies spend much time talking about -- they just want to show you exclusive games -- but they are just as important.

You say this as if this should be news to anybody?

While I thought the 360 was a much better overall console for most of the last gen, it was due to usually superior multiformat games, XBLA, pads and really good online. The exclusives on PS3 always felt on another level to me though in terms of my own personal taste. The Last of Us was a masterpiece and stuff like Demon Souls, Valkyria Chronicles and the Yakuza games did really make it feel unique place for those kind of games. I think I could have lived without the exclusives on the 360 (outside of maybe the anticipation for Halo 3) and really enjoyed them but I pretty much just got the PS3 for the exclusives which says a lot.

A similar thing is happening for me this gen. Except replace 360 with PC and PS3 with PS4.

(It's also possible Wiper missed the odd platform off when he compiled the original table, but this has already taken long enough so I'm not going to double check all his work!)

Almost certainly - I didn't manually check my stats, I just put the systems I was aware the games had come out for, so I imagine there'll be some errors in there. The most obvious and significant one is probably Mass Effect - it was eventually released for PS3 as part of the Mass Effect trilogy, meaning that the 360 only manages two console exclusives in the top 20, and those at positions 19 and 20.

Of course that's less damning when you realise that The Last of Us, Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls are all pants so the PS3 doesn't really have any exclusives worth a damn in the top 20 at all :P

I'm not quite sure what this thread (rather than the some of the arguments which preceded it) is. If it's just saying, 'non-exclusive games are important to a system, and how they run/feel to play is important', then, sure, I can't see anyone disagreeing. But I'm not sure it is about that. If it's more about the 'hypothesis that platform exclusives are a sideshow and cross-platform games are where it's at', then I don't think your analysis does prove that at all, Doc - not for many people on this forum, anyway. Here's the top ten for this gen:

Dark Souls
Super Mario Galaxy
The Last of Us
Mass Effect 2
Fallout 3
Red Dead Redemption
Uncharted 2
Skyrim
Portal 2
Portal
(Platform exclusives in bold)
Sure, there's only three of the top ten that are platform exclusives. But as with any poll of this sort, you have to factor in that exclusives tend always to reach a smaller audience, whereas non-exclusives always have a wider one: so more people will play a great game if it's multi-platform, and therefore it'll have a bigger set of people likely to vote for it. (Look at TLOU for example - we already have a bunch of people who've never played it on PS3 who are looking forward to its rerelease on PS4; I'm fairly certain it would have placed higher than No. 3 if it'd been available on 360 too.) So there's that tendency to weighting votes towards multi-platform games, which means the list isn't necessarily an indicator of pure quality.
The other thing is that if we look at the wider array of 'exclusives' we see a lot of familiar names - the Halo series from 3 and on; the Uncharteds; TLOU; Demons Souls; Mass Effect; Crackdown; Journey; Gears of War; etc. They're all games that, on this forum, have had big or sometimes huge threads devoted to them, and have gathered a lot of passion, even devotion, from players. And yes, again I'd include Super Mario Galaxy again there, because we're talking here about the concept of the importance of exclusives, no? Not just choosing between PS3 and 360. I say this because, if the more general argument is really 'what should prompt you to buy a console is the multiplatform stuff, and exclusives are "just a sideshow"', you're automatically relegating Nintendo to the bin. And even though that might be a commercial reality at some point, here, on this forum, in terms of buying choices, if you rule out exclusives as being relatively unimportant you'd never, ever buy a Wii U. But its exclusives are, or will be, for many people on rllmuk absolutely must-haves, and among the top games of the gen. (And to support my earlier point, they'd get a lot fewer votes as such simply because many people haven't bought that platform, so have never played them - but their quality, to people to own all machines, might be indisputable. And in fact, may be the only reason those people bought that platform - so as not to miss out on those exclusives.)
To return the point to Sony and MS, we know the quality of last gen's exclusives now (or at least we do if we owned the platform in question). But we don't yet know the quality of the exclusives we'll get to see on PS4 and Xbox One. It might - probably will - be another generation dominated by GTA and Assassin's Creed etc. But there might be new exclusive IP, or a triumphant development of old exclusive IP, that's right at the top of the crop again. I mean, Naughty Dog are an exclusive studio, and for my money if they are as good as they were last gen I'm simply going to have to get a PS4. Just for them. Look at the Souls games - the forum favourite - and think, what if their developer launched new IP just on PS4? Sure, it's one game - but one game has to end up as the most popular game on the forum.
Looking back at that list for PS3 and 360, the exclusives are among my favourites of the generation. SMG, Mass Effect, TLOU, Uncharted 2, Fez (though only sort of exclusive) - the gen would have been far lesser were it not for these. They're why I ended up having to buy all the consoles. And just those 5 titles are in my own top 10 of the gen, or thereabouts. They're every bit as important in terms of quality as the multi-platform ones - if not more so - and obviously they are far more important in terms of selling me an actual system, of choosing between alternatives. If Sony didn't have Naughty Dog and a couple of their other developers make exclusives I could have skipped the PS3 altogether. Same with MS and Bungie/Bioware etc. If those few killer exclusives were taken out of the equation, I could have just had the one console and have been happy with it. Then, yeah, it'd be down to how well the system of choice handles multiplatorm games.
But that's not the case. The importance of those exclusives far outweighs their number. They're few, but the best of them is a big factor in deciding which platform you buy - or, as is usually the case, in deciding you have to buy them all. The last gen is unthinkable without some of those exclusive titles, and I'm certain the next one will be too. They're anything but a slideshow, and removing them from history would make this forum a far lesser place. Their influence reaches far beyond their placement on critics' lists - the Uncharteds, the TLOUs, the Halos, the Fez's, The SMGs of this world, are what drives a generation. Perhaps not in terms of raw sales, but in terms of passion, and even of influence on other developers - or, if they're uncopyable, at least causes other devs' jaws to drop.
They're anything but a sideshow, Doc. And the difference between how multiplatform games run on MS and Sony machines, although evident, is often exaggerated imo. Side by side you can often tell which is which, but in isolation they're usually similar enough for this not to be as decisive as, say, not being able to play any Naughty Dog title at all, ever. So I think the argument that it's all about the cross-platform stuff is nowhere near as strong as you're suggesting here.

Dead Rising came out in the first year of the 360, but only just. I wouldn't really count Hitman Blood Money as a launch title as the 360 version was essentially just a port. It would be like TLOU or GTAV ending up in Wiper's next "Games Of The Generation" list in x years time. Could happen, but they ain't launch titles.

The 360 dominated for me this past gen. Being such a Sony fanboy from the PS1/2 era's (and Nintendo before that) I had no real love for the original Xbox however that changed when the PS3 was released under such a shitstorm and a close friend convinced me to go 360.

One of the worst things about the 360, and one of my major gaming addictions over the last 8 years or so was the introduction of achievements and, even after getting a PS3 much later, achievements swayed me back to the 360 everytime (shallow isn't it).

Dead Rising came out in the first year of the 360, but only just. I wouldn't really count Hitman Blood Money as a launch title as the 360 version was essentially just a port. It would be like TLOU or GTAV ending up in Wiper's next "Games Of The Generation" list in x years time. Could happen, but they ain't launch titles.

That's not quite a fair comparison either, in that neither TLOU or GTAV are out on next-gen yet, despite being released on the last-gen consoles before the next-gen consoles were even out, whereas Blood Money was a simultaneous cross-generation release. It would be more like Assassin's Creed Black Flag making it into the Games of the Generation, relative quality notwithstanding.

That's not quite a fair comparison either, in that neither TLOU or GTAV are out on next-gen yet, despite being released on the last-gen consoles before the next-gen consoles were even out, whereas Blood Money was a simultaneous cross-generation release. It would be more like Assassin's Creed Black Flag making it into the Games of the Generation, relative quality notwithstanding.

Yeah that's true, I just couldn't think of a genuine cross-gen title that could realistically end up on. GOTG list, whereas TLOU and GTAV could be contenders.

Isn't this whole study slightly skewed by the fact that there are simply more multi platform titles than exclusives so people will naturally play more of them as there are more of them to play.

But the average purchase rate for new games for any console barely passes 10 games if you are lucky over the entire ownership period, the average console owner either buys an awful lot of 2nd hand or the market is heavily warped or game borrowing is at endemic levels for most people to play that many games in the first place. I suspect the numbers reflect the whale-like nature of the more active internet gaming forum poster.

Exclusives exist for the same reason everywhere, to get you to pick that hardware platform over an alternative, even if you'll spend most of your time playing games which you could play elsewhere on an alternative piece of hardware.

360 had the best of the cross platform stuff

PS3 had some more exclusives

360 had the best pad

PS3 - pretty much everything on it was free

360 - other than the Iplayer, everything was locked, unless you where a GOLD subscriber (I note that now they are struggling with the Bone, they have reversed this, a little too late!)

PS3 had a Blu-Ray drive and could be a great media centre

Purely for the top fact there, I'd say the 360 for me, but it had its annoyances, where the PS3 just struggled to be the best as an all-round gaming platform. Had they managed to at least match the 360 performance, I would of sided with the Sony machine as it was more open and useable.