Football thread 2014/15 season

The Fox

Steve McLaren. I have a baaad feeling about this...

I reckon you'll be fine, I think he was unlucky with Derby, injuries hit the side and we lost our way.

Could do with you not hijacking the Ince deal, though.

Agreed with Timmo there, I'd jump at the chance of McLaren, especially after the short term he had with QPR (my beloved pantomime villains and class clowns of the football league) before Derby where he was universally credited with our early season form. Whilst Clement might be the latest greatest thing and potentially do well, reckon Derby board might come to regret getting rid of a manager who achieved and stabilised. McLaren isn't the joke he once was and whilst he may not make Newcastle premier league champions he'll sort out the mess they currently find themselves in.

Yeah, I wouldn't knock McClaren either. Won us the League Cup and took us to the UEFA Cup final and our highest ever finish in the Premier League. I am 99% certain we would still be in the Premier League now if he hadn't left for the England job.

It'll be the first club he's managed where the board has no ambition greater than survival and any players doing well will be sold at the first opportunity. I hope he does well but I think if the Sunderland job had become available it would have been a better fit for him.

BT just emailed me to say my package will increase to £5 a month - plus the cost of HD is increasing from £3 to £4 - so £9 a month, or I can have just BT Sport 1 on Sky for free still, i think that's change enough to get out of my contract it's a considerable increase...

Aye I'm not happy about that. I only just recently signed up to BT with the promise of free BT sport. I'm in an 18 month contract too, rather tempted to see what else is out there. Surely if they can change my contract like that out the blue I can get out of it?

It'll be the first club he's managed where the board has no ambition greater than survival and any players doing well will be sold at the first opportunity. I hope he does well but I think if the Sunderland job had become available it would have been a better fit for him.

I think that both of those jobs are poison. Except that the Newcastle job comes with the added pressure of a uber demanding fanbase.

Still I like Mclaren and hope he does well. He's done well to recover his career after the gutter press tried to ruin it.

I'm confused. I have BT infinity, do I get CL next season via my browser for free?

No.

You'll get BT Sport 1 for free, which will have all the PL stuff but not CL

Either spend £5 a month more, or get the full BT TV shit they no doubt spam you twice a month on.

Aye I'm not happy about that. I only just recently signed up to BT with the promise of free BT sport. I'm in an 18 month contract too, rather tempted to see what else is out there. Surely if they can change my contract like that out the blue I can get out of it?

I'm guessing they're not changing the contract. If the contract said "Free until the end of the 2014/2015 season (as I'm sure mine did) then they're fine.

As for McClaren, I don't think the job is as much of a poisoned-chalice as some people are making out. Everybody will know that the board aren't going to be helpful, that the squad needs a decent overhaul and there's no real expectation for the team to achieve a great deal; a top-10 finish would likely be viewed as a massive achievement.

Are many people watching the World Cup? I've been catching games here and there, Norway taking the game to Germany here in the second-half.

And a lovely free-kick to equalise!

I am when it's in BBC3, the matches are a pain to watch in the website. It's a good game now but that German defender really should have been sent off for that tackle that led to the free kick they scored from.

Are many people watching the World Cup? I've been catching games here and there, Norway taking the game to Germany here in the second-half.

Watching as much as I can. That was a terrific free kick indeed - too good not to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSQjPPsTN8g

Been very impressed with the control of the Chinese as well against the Netherlands last night. They seem technically better (or at least more composed and assured) than a lot of other sides - Germany included on the basis of their two matches - but lacking in strength and missing something up front. They were unlucky to lose to Canada, and deservedly won last night even if it took them all game to finally score.

Brazil are similarly assured, but it took two defensive mistakes for them to break down South Korea and they do have a good attack.

Tonight's first game should be good - Australia were quick in the first half against the US and caused all sorts of problems, and Nigeria were simiialrly strong in attack against Sweden. I expect goals, so I'm braced for the 0-0.

"Fun" fact: Ange N'Guessan, who scored Ivory Coast's first goal in their 3-2 defeat to Thailand last night, is four foot seven. For comparison, Peter Dinklage is 4' 5". She's not a growing kid either - she's 24.

As for McClaren, I don't think the job is as much of a poisoned-chalice as some people are making out. Everybody will know that the board aren't going to be helpful, that the squad needs a decent overhaul and there's no real expectation for the team to achieve a great deal; a top-10 finish would likely be viewed as a massive achievement.

"There's no real expectation for the team to achieve a great deal, all he needs is to perform an actual miracle"

A massive achievement would be not getting into a relegation scrap again, and that would be with a helpful board. A top 10 would be a miracle.

I think the newcastle fans are worse than most for having an unrealistic expectation of the team and situation, they're in a hole right now and the board has not stopped digging.

Absolutely fantastic result for Wales. With Bosnia beating Israel as well, they now sit five points ahead of third place with four matches to go. You've got to back them for automatic qualification to their first Euros and only second ever major tournament now.

Also doing brilliantly are Iceland, who have beaten the Czechs 2-1 to overhaul them at the top of the table. Like Wales, they're five points ahead of the playoff spot (held by the Dutch, who won 2-0 in Latvia) and in with an outstanding shot at being the smallest country to ever qualify for the Euros.

They wouldn't have needed many more points to qualify for a 16-team finals, either. That's gotta be annoying. The time they (maybe) finally qualify for something, UEFA are letting all kinds of shit in so the achievement has gotta be dulled somewhat.

I think the fucks given in those countries will be precisely zero. And they've probably a better chance of gettin out of the group stages of the finals too. Which gives you more of an opportunity to go a wee bit further in the competition.

Th finals will be great.

You have to feel sorry for Ecuador. 2-0 down at half time to Switzerland, you think they're salvaging a bit of pride against a decent side after losing 6-0 to Cameroon in their opening game.

Then Fabienne Humm scores a five minute hat-trick, it's 7-0 after the hour, and though they pull a goal back from Angie Ponce (I love the fact that there's a South American woman called Angie and hope to also uncover a Dot and a Mabel later), she then scores her second own goal of the night and Switzerland add another two.

They just seemed utterly helpless. :(

I'd hope they see the bigger picture. The current team might get stuffed in every match but this should be seen as the first step in establishing themselves as a power in world football. African teams were laughing stocks in the 70s and 80s but the kids from those countries who were born in that era must have been inspired because now those same countries provide some of the best players in the world and those nations are reaching the knockout phases of the world cup. It might take a generation for Ecuador to break into the next tier of nations, but Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

that game between Thailand and Ivory Coast was fantastic. five goals, and the woodwork was hit about a dozen times. i think the highlights might still be on the BBC website. if you watch it, look out for what i reckon is the worst bit of defending i've ever seen during the second Ivory Coast goal. the Thai centre-back, with an attacker running at them, sort of drifts off up the pitch away from the action. she's still heading upfield as the goal goes in.

amazing result for Wales. i live in Cardiff, and there's a real sense of amazed excitement amongst the Welsh fans. these are fans who are long past the point of being disappointed when Wales lose - they're used to it and go into every match expecting it to all go wrong. and yet here they are, playing great stuff, and (in the case of last night's match) even getting a bit of luck along the way. i'm English, but i get the feeling that if Wales do manage to qualify it will be them i'm looking forward to watching.