Football thread 2014/15 season

The Fox

Six minutes of added time :lol:

Good job though, Newcastle, nicely done.

Six minutes was about as low as it could be, there were several lengthy stops, the sending off alone accounted for about half that in terms of downtime.

On the plus side now the papers will stop continually writing about going unbeaten.

Guttingly, Telford held out until the 92nd minute against Bristol City but couldn't just manage another few minutes to be in the hat for tomorrow's third round draw.

Nominally, there are two divisions between the sides, but with Telford rock bottom of the Conference and Bristol leading League One, it was 71 places that were completely ignored at Ashton Gate until the dying minutes.

Oh well, as long as they can carry that belief into the game against Welling on Tuesday, all will be well.

In other cup news, Club Franciscain have reached the last 64 of the Coupe de France. I only mention this because they're from Martinique, and the overseas sides normally don't do particularly well. By throwing up teams from tiers five and six, the draw's been kind to them - unless you count the travel.

Fabianski off for denying a goal scoring opportunity, but Sakho had got his shot away and only just missed. If it had have gone in would Fabianski still have gone?

It's a weird one, this, because he didn't actually deny the goalscoring opportunity - Sakho still had the opportunity but he missed it. I suppose the argument is that he might have been able to get his shot away earlier had Fabianski not intervened (though that discounts the fact that he handled it). Felt like a harsh red to me, though I suppose the laws say he has to go.

"We were unlucky. The best team lost. The team that tried to win, lost. It’s a lucky day for Newcastle, but that’s football."

He complained about time-wasting like it's a tactic he'd never employ; like he hasn't contributed towards it being seen as some kind of clever tactic.

I thought he was reasonably gracious, he did have a point, chelsea battered them, more than double the shots on target, more possession, more attempts to actually win the thing.

stats1.png

It's a weird one, this, because he didn't actually deny the goalscoring opportunity - Sakho still had the opportunity but he missed it. I suppose the argument is that he might have been able to get his shot away earlier had Fabianski not intervened (though that discounts the fact that he handled it). Felt like a harsh red to me, though I suppose the laws say he has to go.

I can see it as being a red but they shouldn't have retaken the kick. If you play the advantage you only pull it back if you were wrong about it being an advantage,not because they wasted it.

So Jose 101 then. Just substitute Newcastle for any other team and it's the same excuse everytime they lose.

Also ball boys cost them the game? Did they hold on to the ball for 90+ minutes or something? Is it their fault his team failed to score before the 83rd minute This is typical Jose though, he's got everyone talking about him and his comments, not his team failings. Clever twat.

At least someone gets it. He does this every single time his team underperforms & every single time the press & punters fall for it hook, line & sinker. He must be pissing himself at how easy it is to deflect attention away from his players with such ease in this country.

How the Hell have we managed to get Alex Song. I don't know what went on at Arsenal with him but he's at least a level or two above anyone in our squad. There are very few teams in the world he couldn't walk into their midfields and somehow he's playing in ours.

Going to enjoy this season while it lasts :)

Yes because we never played like total dogshit with Song in the side, and he hasn't spent the last couple of years being a figure of fun at Barcelona. He's doing well for West Ham but let's not try and re-write history.

fair enough, I just see what hes doing now, i didnt know he was a figure of fun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30376774

Man City's new training ground has officially opened, and as you'd imagine it's ridiculously good.

I don't particularly like any of the billionaires who own these clubs and distort the game to such an extent, particularly in City's case where they were no where near being a top side and were turned into title challengers almost overnight. But at least if the owners do get bored and bugger off, they'll be leaving behind some incredible infrastructure and facilities, and it looks like they've helped the local area a lot too (although I'm not local so I could be very wrong.)

The look on Steve Bruce's face was terrific when they drew Arsenal against Hull as the first tie of the third round.

Weird draw - Hull vs Arsenal was drawn in the dress rehearsal earlier as the first tie.

Dover vs Palace will be televised surely. AFC Wimbledon vs Liverpool is intriguing. I remember watching th 86 final on a portable TV in my mate's garden. Brilliant draw for them and they've got two of the best league 2 strikers in Tubbs and Akinfenwa.

Good tie for Wrexham - not far to travel to Stoke.

Blyth Spartans have a slim chance to make it to round 4. Birmingham are in a bit of a mess.

The Man Utd shambles roadshow is back on track after a brief wobble of wins. Their back four are woeful. They've already subbed their centre half. Falaini is once again impersonating a footballer. Southampton should be winning.

Rooney's touched the ball about three times, Young is out wide - he might as well sit in the stand. Rojo is slow, can't tackle and looks scared to get involved. Carrick's wasted where he's playing. All of them look hopeless.

I thought he was reasonably gracious, he did have a point, chelsea battered them, more than double the shots on target, more possession, more attempts to actually win the thing.

Oh, how clever! I hadn't considered that. Or maybe he's just crying the same way he does every time another team uses his own scummy tactics against him.

edit: wait, have you just started paying attention to football, angel?

With a striker like Van Persie in the team you always have a chance.

Yep, we won the match because of Dea Gea and Van Persie basically. Maaaybe Ashley Young had a bit to do with it also. It seems we haven't really moved on from Ferguson's last few seasons, and we're continuing our efforts to disprove the idea that games are won in midfield, because that certainly wasn't the case today.

Yes because we never played like total dogshit with Song in the side, and he hasn't spent the last couple of years being a figure of fun at Barcelona. He's doing well for West Ham but let's not try and re-write history.

People/mainly pundits forced to give quick opinions in limited time on every subject always do this, it's pretty wearing how prevalent it is at the moment.

It got to the point where I think it was Danny Mills who was suggesting that Huddlestone was better than every Spurs midfielder they'd bought in that summer, just because he was doing well at Hull, where his role is different. Rather than saying 'look over here, this player is better than this one, this is what that team needs, look!' maybe just say that some players are better as big fish in small ponds, and that their place in the team affects their performances, because maybe the team is set up so that others conceal his lack of pace and he's allowed to show his passing ability, and is trusted and valued and everything effects everything and that there is no absolute Better, the magic solution seems to always be that player over there in that other team, or that player over there who was in this team once, if only you had him now ! And on and on

You have it with Siggurdson as well...'why didn't he do as well at Spurs?' I don't know..anything to do with how he was in and out of the team, because he was played on the left, because he was just another payer fighting for his place so not at ease given freedom to express himself. And actually he was good and effective for Spurs in moments.