Football thread 2014/15 season

The Fox

Matic really is excellent, isn't he? He's very low-key but plays such an important role for Chelsea.

With West Ham playing some decent stuff at the moment and strikers that have movement and a physical presence, their Boxing Day clash could be an exciting game.

Matic really is excellent, isn't he? He's very low-key but plays such an important role for Chelsea.

With West Ham playing some decent stuff at the moment and strikers that have movement and a physical presence, their Boxing Day clash could be an exciting game.

I think we're going to get done 2-0. Allardyce will play Carroll (who would be hard done by to be dropped on form TBF) and Terry and Cahill will lap him up, whereas they'd shit themselves if faced with the pace and running of Sahko and Valencia, with Carroll coming on last 30 mins or so to rough them up.

I hope I'm wrong (on the score) though! :D

Chelsea are formidable at the moment.

If they don't win the league it's going to be an amazing end to the season. When they do win the league it's going to have been a boring year.

Next season looks like a cracker though, Man City will presumably buy as big as they can, Man Utd should be fairly like Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool have to have better years than this time and all the other teams are getting closer by the minute. We might actually have a competition.

Few interesting things I've learned about Matic today:

£21m plus him was paid to bring David Luiz to Chelsea.

He was recognised as a creative midfielder before being converted to a defensive midfielder by Benfica manager Jorge Jesus.

He cost Chelsea £21m second time around and £1.5m first time around, meaning they still made an overall profit on joke footballer David Luiz after sending Matic away to become awesome.

Bojan was great last night, looked like a Barca player, great to see him back in form. I thought Stoke did pretty well, they were up against possibly collectively the strongest back 7 the Prem has ever seen. Mikel put in just to make them even more stupidly strong. Matic is such a monster, what a player. Chelsea are formidable at the moment.

Bojan mishit about five corners, fell on his face when he tried turning inside the box and was invisible for all but 15 minutes in the second half. What are you on about Timmo. Stoke were terrible and Bojan was rubbish.

AC Milan signed a two year loan agreement (the remainder of his current contract) with Chelsea for Torres in the summer and they are now in turn trying to offload him to Athletico Madrid.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/22/fernando-torres-atletico-madrid-ac-milan-chelsea

His £150k a week wages are a stumbling block but Milan seem determined to get rid. Has ever a forward fallen from grace so quickly.

Maybe Ronaldinho, who also ended up at Milan had a pretty big and quick fall from grace, he was the best player in the world and Barcelonas main man in 2006, Torres in that one season 2007-08 was unbelievable, he was good in 2008-09 aswell, I think injuries fucked him, since World Cup 2010 he has a permanent pissed off demeanour aswell

Is Torres not getting to the point (like the Simpsons to some extent) where the good years are outnumbered by the bad years? Rather than a great striker with a rough patch, an average striker with a purple patch?

I still laugh at AC Milan refusing to meet a £2m asking price for him. Granted his wages still need paying, but £2m... that's really nothing these days.

Is Torres not getting to the point (like the Simpsons to some extent) where the good years are outnumbered by the bad years? Rather than a great striker with a rough patch, an average striker with a purple patch?

I still laugh at AC Milan refusing to meet a £2m asking price for him. Granted his wages still need paying, but £2m... that's really nothing these days.

If you've got Pippo Inzaghi as your (prospective) coach I don't imagine being cheap is going to hold any sway if you're a striker.

Maybe Ronaldinho, who also ended up at Milan had a pretty big and quick fall from grace, he was the best player in the world and Barcelonas main man in 2006, Torres in that one season 2007-08 was unbelievable, he was good in 2008-09 aswell, I think injuries fucked him, since World Cup 2010 he has a permanent pissed off demeanour aswell

Won the Libertadores after that though, Ronaldinho that is.

So I see the gossip that Man U are going to bid for Gareth Bale is intensifying, with a £120m bid being mentioned.

What I don't get is where this speculation is coming from? He's going great in Madrid and winning things and is getting better and better as a player. Why on Earth would he want to leave or would Madrid want to sell? I do realise that most paper-talk is all guff, but these little murmurings all get started somehow. Is he agent putting out the feelers in order to get a better contract out of Madrid?

Slow news day aka journalists making shit up department.

For example, the Heil is saying Leicester have bid £7.5m for Danny Ings. Why would Burnley sell him to a direct relegation rival? Why would Leicester pay that for a player who can sign a pre-contract in January and is available for free (well, about £3m in compensation IIRC) in the summer?

So I see the gossip that Man U are going to bid for Gareth Bale is intensifying, with a £120m bid being mentioned.

What I don't get is where this speculation is coming from? He's going great in Madrid and winning things and is getting better and better as a player. Why on Earth would he want to leave or would Madrid want to sell? I do realise that most paper-talk is all guff, but these little murmurings all get started somehow. Is he agent putting out the feelers in order to get a better contract out of Madrid?

I reckon it's based on whether Real get Marco Reus or not. If Madrid do, then they might look to get Bale off the wage bill, since as good as he is, he's no Ronaldo.

His £150k a week wages are a stumbling block but Milan seem determined to get rid. Has ever a forward fallen from grace so quickly.

Shevhcenko was dreadful when he signed for Chelsea, which made me sad. Still got to captain his country in a major tournament I suppose.

He was so good with Rebrov in the Dynamo team that made Champs League semis in '99.

I reckon it's based on whether Real get Marco Reus or not. If Madrid do, then they might look to get Bale off the wage bill, since as good as he is, he's no Ronaldo.

The story is just clickbait; wish fulfilment for United fans, and big enough name and a large enough amount of money to raise eyebrows more generally. He been doing really well in Madrid, there's no reason he'd want to leave and no reason they'd want to sell him. Also his release clause is obviously going to be stupidly high. Ronaldo is 29, and while he won't stop scoring goals any time soon, he can't remain as his physical peak forever. Bale is a ready made replacement in terms of his pace, power, and general counterattacking threat. I really doubt the story has gathered as much traction in Spanish papers, put it that way.

I think it's more he's a great footballer destroyed by injury. It's not just the physical impact, it's the psychological impact especially when coupled with that 50m fee. His badness is maybe a but exaggerated too, but he's obviously miles below what you'd expect off a top top striker.

Sad but at least his peak brought him a European Championship and a World Cup, and he managed to pull some honours with Chelsea on the way down. Some players get injured and their career is over in an instant.

Shevhcenko was dreadful when he signed for Chelsea, which made me sad. Still got to captain his country in a major tournament I suppose.

That said I did always get the impression Sheva tried when he was in a Chelsea shirt, which I certainly can't say of Torres.