Football thread 2014/15 season

The Fox

The problem is that it involves making a very difficult choice. Most people subscribe to the principle that once who have done your time, the slate is wiped clean and you are free to get on with your life. However, the Evans case pushes this principle, because he is in a high profile job and has shown little remorse for a crime which is one of the worst you can commit, including standing by while a close relative wages a campaign against the victim. So it becomes a test of how much you really believe in your principles.

It doesn't help that the Twitter mob are bandwagonning it. I've been called a "nasty, ingrained misogynist" for even correcting some incorrect statements. The numbers in the petitions against Sheff Utd and Oldham signing him are way beyond their respective fanbases and, lets be honest here, if the majority of these people were asked to do anything more than a single click to sign a petition in order to increase rape sentences in general, couldn't be bothered. Thankfully he'll get nowhere near my club, and if they did, I would cancel my season ticket, but that doesn't give me the right to dictate to other clubs or sets of fans.

It is a complex and emotive subject, with no simple answers which is being treated as a black and white issue that can be solved in 140 characters and a click.

Steve Bruce really is dumb though. Shouldn't have gone anywhere near the subject.

Big difference from occasionally playing in our proper colours on the road and playing in them every game at home.

It'll be 2 years 7 months since we last played in blue at home having played in it at home for 100 years before that.

Totally, I just meant they don't need a new shirt.

regarding Ched Evans, i think Pete on the Football Ramble put it very well - he has done his time, and absolutely has the right to continue his career as a footballer, but no club has any obligation to employ him.

i wouldn't be outraged if he managed to find a club and carried on playing, but i certainly wouldn't want him playing for a club i supported. it's quite pleasing that most fans in this country seem to feel the same way.

i wouldn't be outraged if he managed to find a club and carried on playing, but i certainly wouldn't want him playing for a club i supported.

This is really the only viewpoint I don't understand.

People who think he's done his time and should be able to play, fair enough, I can see that. People who think he doesn't deserve to play football again, fair enough, I can see where they're coming from too.

But then there's people like you, who think he's done his time and should be able to play, "but not for MY team!" Either you think he should be able to play or you don't, you can't have it both ways.

Evans had the right to go back to work like all people who have served time do. The problem is, is that football is a luxury job, it's basically a hobby that people with the right skills get paid a lot of money to do. I think that ontop of the fact that people don't want a convicted rapist playing for their club they see it as a slap in the face of the victim that he goes straight back into this luxury lifestyle whist she's left with the trauma of being a rape victim.

This is really the only viewpoint I don't understand.

People who think he's done his time and should be able to play, fair enough, I can see that. People who think he doesn't deserve to play football again, fair enough, I can see where they're coming from too.

But then there's people like you, who think he's done his time and should be able to play, "but not for MY team!" Either you think he should be able to play or you don't, you can't have it both ways.

I agree with you but it's also somewhat how I feel.

I do believe once a person has served their time they should be free to carry on with their life, however I would be uncomfortable having him play for my ream (same goes for Lee Hughes to be fair). I can't reconcile the two opinions I hold at all.

I don't think it's particularly inconsistent. He's a shitbag. I wouldn't want Terry playing for my team either, for example, but I'm not campaigning for him to be banned from football altogether. (I am of course not equating their past offences.)

The most annoying thing is pundits that frantically pat their own backs when they get something right, even when it's the most rudimentary thing.

Michael Owen came out with the fascinating insight that Lukaku was more likely to score if he was in the box, despite Everton's being pushed back by West Ham meaning he literally (literally!) couldn't be in the box without being offside. A cross comes in late on which Lukaku converts from close range and Owen starts orgasming and saying how right he was and how Lukaku should take note.

A couple of years ago when Atleti smashed Chelsea 4-1 in the Super Cup final Radamel Falcao scored a hat trick. Andy Townsend was treated like Nostradamus by the rest of the panel for predicting that a €40m striker who had just had a 40 goal season might be the opposition player Chelsea would be most troubled by. With razor sharp insight and a deep knowledge of the European game like that I am stunned that Sky haven't picked him up to replace Gary Neville, but as they haven't (yet) how will we all know which Swedish striker might cause Chelsea problems when they play PSG next month?

Cracking game between Chelsea and Newcastle so far. Really attacking and Newcastle have been thoroughly on top. Mourinho will flay his lot at half time; they've carried straight on from the Spurs game and Terry is playing like he's about 45 today.

Cracking game between Chelsea and Newcastle so far. Really attacking and Newcastle have been thoroughly on top. Mourinho will flay his lot at half time; they've carried straight on from the Spurs game and Terry is playing like he's about 45 today.

:sherlock: Sign him up ITV.

Back from Burnley vs QPR. That was the worst performance from the Clarets that I've seen in a season and a half and they still should have won by four or five. Austin won a pen and hit the post, both from Burnley mistakes rather than anything else - when scoring the pen he did the ostentatious not celebrating thing which is massively annoying. Either walk back to the centre circle or go celebrate.

Ings missed two one on ones, Green clawed a couple away and we were breaking through the back line of Hill, Caulker and Dunne (combined age 127) for fun.

How the hell Harry Redknapp is still in a job I have no idea. That back line, with Tarrabt on the wing (is it unfit any more) and Karl Henry in the middle, then substituting the latter for Zarate to get some more attacking on the pitch and... taking off Vargas? The man is clueless. Burnleys worst enemy today was complacency, and Arfield scoring early didn't help. Still three points is three points. Palace at home next week, then Sunderland (A) and West Brom (H).

yup! The Saints are staying up.. the saints are staying up.....

As soon as I saw 5 mins of Fergie time I thought "here we go, the granny fucker will notch 2 now..."

Quite where that 5 mins came from I have no idea.... deserved it anyway, especially after the home game last moth where we completely outplayed them yet managed to somehow lose 2 -1

Well, it was going to be four minutes, but then Tadic decided to have a lie down. Not that we did a great deal with that precious extra minute anyway.

It's very odd that, given how their team was raided over the summer, that Schneiderlin is still at Southampton. It looks like it's going to be them, Arsenal and United in a three-way tussle for two CL spots. On this form he'd walk into either of their rivals' teams, surely. He particularly seems like he would've been a total no-brainer for Arsenal.

If you keep defending how you have been, you'll definitely be top four come the end, and if you keep Schneiderlin in January you have a decent chance of that, surely?

Obviously it's nice and easy to type that out and it's a lot harder in practice, but Southampton are the only team challenging for those last two places who actually consistently have played well this season.