Football League Championship Season 2014/15

Timmo

Fixtures are out! The hunt for paying more to watch your team lose every week in the Premiership is back on.

9th August 2014

Blackburn v Cardiff
Brentford v Charlton
Brighton v Sheff Wed
Derby v Rotherham
Huddersfield v Bournemouth
Ipswich v Fulham
Middlesbrough v Birmingham
Millwall v Leeds
Nottm Forest v Blackpool
Watford v Bolton
Wigan v Reading
Wolves v Norwich

Early predictions:

Top 6: Wigan, Cardiff, Derby, Wolves, Ipswich, Middlesbrough

Bottom 3: Blackpool, Birmingham, Rotherham

Taken from last year's thread, so we know who everyone is talking about should they say 'we'. (Please don't do that.) If you're not on here, please post and I'll add you.

Baring - Middlesbrough
CJ - Millwall
Dan_tm - Sheffield Wednesday
DeadRussian - Nottingham Forest
Elmo - Millwall
Elseb - Birmingham City
emjay2k - Middlesbrough
Hellsbells - Sheffield Wednesday
Kensei - Leeds United
McMond - Sheffield Wednesday
Merman - Ipswich Town
Milko - Leeds United
Mirodo - Sheffield Wednesday
Monobrow - Nottingham Forest
Moosden25 - Huddersfield Town
OneDaveBamber - Blackpool

Pants McSkill - Millwall

PC Master Race - Brentford

Rev - Sheffield Wednesday
Rsdio - Huddersfield Town
Smithstock - Middlesbrough
SomethingWitty - Ipswich Town
Steely - Middlesbrough
Timmo - Derby County
Waddie - Sheffield Wednesday

I'll do a Derby write up later.

Edited by Timmo

Done a bit of a preview for Derby, please do the same for your team!

Derby_County_F.C._logo.png

What happened last season?

After yet another mediocre start, Nigel Clough was finally shown the exit, much to the consternation of thousands of Derby fans who went to the games for a sleep. In fairness to Clough, he'd put together a solid foundation and all it needed was an enthusiastic Steve McClaren to get the side firing on all cylinders. He asked one fullback to stay back while the other to pretty much become an extra midfielder, encouraged midfielders to get into the box and gave purpose to a team which at times had looked a little aimless. The football flowed and Derby ended as the top scorers in the division. It wasn't as if the defence had been compromised, either, under McClaren the goals against column rose at a lower rate. Form under McClaren throughout the entire season would have given Derby automatic promotion instead of Playoff heartbreak.

Changes?

Not too many, hopefully. Talk of Burnley or QPR activating a £750k release clause on Craig Bryson is rife, and disturbingly hasn't been denied. If that clause is in the contract and Bryson leaves for that amount, then someone needs a firm slap.

So far we've signed a backup 'keeper, and Alban Bunjaku, a 20 year old attacking midfielder who didn't fit in at Arsenal or Sevilla. No idea what to expect from him but he should at least give Paul Coutts competition for the bench.

We've been linked with McCormack but that seems extremely unlikely.

My biggest hope is that we sign George Thorne. He became my favourite player in the closing stages last season and he evidently loved his time here, handing in a transfer request to join us. Unfortunately it was rejected and West Brom are playing hardball. Influential deep midfielder, exceptional passer.

Other than that we need a right back to replace Wisdom (who was brilliant), and a striker to challenge Martin. A couple more signings to boost a thin squad have also been promised.

Likely Lineup:

GK: Lee Grant

RB: ?????

CB: Richard Keogh

CB: Jake Buxton

LB: Craig Forsyth

DM: George Thorne/?????

CM: Will Hughes

CM: Jeff Hendrick

RW: Jamie Ward

ST: Chris Martin

LW: Jonny Russell

Notable subs: Craig Bryson (please), Simon Dawkins, Paul Coutts, Alban Bunjaku, John Eustace

Key players:

Chris Martin. Derby's most important player by a distance and the first to score 20 league goals since Dean Sturridge. He may move in slow motion, but his finishing and passing are both superb. Everything goes through him or ends with him. The few games we missed him we looked clueless. Please don't get injured, ever.

Craig Forsyth. The outlet. Our most improved player by far, and a mean crosser. Always finds space.

Will Hughes. Could be quite a telling season for Hughes. Despite getting young player of the season in 13/14, he wasn't that good. Getting stronger and increasing in stature and influence, he should be lighting the division up.

Prospects?

Provided there aren't too many changes, anything other than a top 6 finish would be disaster, and we should be aiming for top 2. I'm gonna predict 4th.

Just avoided relegation, just avoided relegation, 10th, sacked after poor start...

In the conference.

They are an optimism killing machine. The best I can hope for is that Cellino is mad enough to be entertaining.

Still, plan to get over sometime this season. Will be happy with not being relegated.

Brentford here, got my nicely price bumped season ticket all set to go. I'm expecting a nice relegation scrap to be honest, I'll be more than happy to avoid going straight back down. Giving Fulham a good kicking would be a nice bonus though. :D

Not too many, hopefully. Talk of Burnley or QPR activating a £750k release clause on Craig Bryson is rife, and disturbingly hasn't been denied. If that clause is in the contract and Bryson leaves for that amount, then someone needs a firm slap.

Word is that Burnley will announce the Bryson signing today. Er... sorry about that... *looks at feet, embarrassed*

Bryson bid rejected. At least that confirms the £750k release doesn't exist.

Still expect him to go but I reckon it'll take £3m - £4m.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/derby-county-turn-down-bid-for-craig-bryson-1677035.aspx#7BCPGLryzC8MCDrJ.99

From the Clarets camp, it seems that the £750k is a minimum bid to get permission to talk to the player, with a full bid to follow if he is interested.

I'm reading that as "we'll sell, but you have to meet our asking price". If he wasn't for sale, I wouldn't expect to see such a public statement. £4m would be our club record, I think.

Brentford here, got my nicely price bumped season ticket all set to go. I'm expecting a nice relegation scrap to be honest, I'll be more than happy to avoid going straight back down. Giving Fulham a good kicking would be a nice bonus though. :D

Me too. Including the season ticket.

Same expectations as you and I'm slightly worried about the lack of signings and the loss of our top scorer to a Championship rival this week. But so many exciting new fixtures this year.

Charlton

Birmingham

Fulham

Millwall

Wigan(Uwe comes back)

I'm really looking forward to it. Just a shame QPR couldn't fuck it up. Otherwise it would have been perfect.

Ipswich signed winger Alex Henshall after Man City released him. He was on loan with us at the end of last season but did not get on the pitch - but he impressed McCarthy and was told he was wanted for the future.

Surprised we released Scott Loach though, best of luck to him at Rotherham.

Bournemouth have signed Junior Stanislas from Burnley on a three year deal. Stanislas was offered a new contract by the Clarets, but moved to get regular first team football. Personally, I think he is a little lightweight when it comes to the physical side of the game but he is undoubtedly skilful and may work in Eddie Howes attacking setup.

He'll never be forgotten for doing this.

Annoyed. Sky and BBC saying that Cresswell is going to West Ham. £2 million is ridiculously cheap.

Oh, and Celini at Leeds is mental. Paddy Kenny sacked because his birthdate is May 17th and the chairman thinks that's his unlucky number...

Everything's undisclosed as usual but it's being widely reported that Fulham paid Leeds £11m for Ross McCormack. So that's your parachute payment insanity for the day.

Bournemouth (average gate: 9,000, posted a loss of £15m last season) also seem to have paid upwards of £3m for Callum Wilson. I know they got a big chunk of Lallana's fee but they also went out and paid £2.5m for another striker last summer too. It'd be interesting to see how they're managing to square up those fees and wages with FFP (lol).