Blood Bowl 2 - Xcom meets American Football, with beards

Retroid

I've played a bit but been busy his week so haven't really been able to get into it.

Not really enjoying the Campaign so far as it's still in the tutorial part (assuming it changes to normal games at some point) but hoping it will get better.

So far, it seems to be more of the same with flashier graphics and better UI which isn't a bad thing.

We should try and get a friendly Muk league set up if we have enough players.

As people are thinking about buying this, I have been playing it since Saturday and I don't have any feeling of progress. It might improve against human opponents but I am not enjoying the game enough to expose friends to it, especially with the time it would take to get them up to speed. I do have an issue with a videogame that takes longer to play than the boardgame version.

Not really.

The campaign so far is, you take control of the Reikland Reavers human team who are on a down turn. You play the first game (which is barely a game as none of the rules are in effect) with the prebuilt team. Win this game and you get to buy a full new team.

The game then spends the next however many games slowly introducing all the rules of the game, piecemeal.

I still haven't got to the point where the training wheels come off but I've only played about five games so crossing fingers for it happening soon.

Other than that it looks like online leagues and friendlies only.

Yeah, as far as I can tell the campaign is there as a glorified tutorial; the meat of the game is in the leagues you can play. Which, it should be noted, are completely offline enabled, so you don't need to go online if you don't want to, and come in a variety of formats, from quick knockouts to lengthy campaigns. And I believe any teams you create are persistent - so, you can play a league, complete it, then use the same team for future leagues.

But yeah, it's not a management game - you hire and fire team members, and they gradually level up through play, but 'staff' is limited to simple upgrades (extra rerolls; cheerleaders and assistant coaches to help up the odds of a good roll at kick-off).

I'd be up for a 'muk league, mainly because the online games I've been playing with my Wood Elves so far have been decidedly mixed. Had a fantastic high-scoring game against a High Elf team which pretty much involved us trading touchdowns, me running the ball and him passing it. And then I play a Russian guy who makes no attempt to score, and whose caging Dwarf team kills three of my players and injures another.

Great.

In fairness, that's pretty much the playbook tactic for dwarves against elves: play to draw and maim, hope to do enough damage that you scare the opponent into leaving you free to score by the end, or simply clear the field of his players. Particularly effective in league play, of course, where the lasting damage can benefit you in future.

I went with the PC version, because a) the community almost certainly wont die a death as quickly as the PS4 one will, b) it'll probably get the patches it needs quicker and more often then then console versions will (which probably causes point a) and c) it woz cheaper.

And yeah, fuck dwarves. Effective sure, but if I was in the same room as some who just gave the ball to their STR4, Sure Hands/Block/Fend player and then literally surrounded him with players like some sort of bearded phalanx, *and then* made no attempt to score but instead set out to hurt as much of my team as possible, I would not be in that room for much longer.

Man, FUCK dwarves.

If you hate dwarves for that you must love the actually-bashy teams at the higher levels, once they've actually got tackle across the their players and can fuck up your elves. At least dwarves are ridiculously slow - your best bet as an elf is to hang back when they have the ball, and wait for opportunities rather than harry them - and if they're not trying to score then brilliant, just leave alone, because once you've got the ball (i.e. after half-time) they should be completely incapable of stopping you: all you need to do then is get one player through their line and they've no chance of chasing you down.

Against the other teams you've got much less opportunity to avoid trouble thanks to them having movement that isn't completely awful, and even higher odds of flattening you thanks to their higher strength and injury-inducing abilities. Chaos, orks, lizardmen, dark elves with tackle are just the worst. Dwarves quickly become obsolete as the leagues wear on, as with most of the skills-based races.

Oh, I can't stand playing as them,* all my favoured teams tend towards fast (wood elves, lizardmen, dark elves, skaven...) and, er, squishy (with the exception of a third of the lizardmen). But I don't expect any less of dwarf players!

*though I've actually been using them in single player, but my god they're so slow it's unbearable

I was pretty interested in this, but looking at the history of the first game, it seems like I'd be better off waiting for the "definitive edition" with all teams etc whenever that happens to be unfortunately. If it ends up getting discounted relatively soon, I might pick it up though. So many games between now Xmas tho...

I loved the 1st game but I'm struggling to justify purchasing this. They're asking quite a bit for a game that looks like a graphical update with less teams and while it looks like they've got a better model for adding extra teams this time, the cost for each 1 looks far too steep.

OK guys only got the four teams so far so I've created the Muk Inaugural Tourney for the four of us so we can get to playing and if anyone else joins the league we can look at expanding the next one.

As there's only four I've set it up as a round robin so we all play each other once.

As soon as everyone is registered I'll kick it off.