IGNORED

RLLMUK Hearthstone Tournament

John0

I'm in favor of free for all, the cards are made to be used, else what's the point, etc.

While I can understand a few not having a lot of the cards, it's for fun.

I would recommend 3 decks for each player thingy though, like the streamed tournies seem to do. Winner using the same deck I think?

Id suggest that we keep it simple to start with, say each match up is a best of 3, you can use what ever deck you like.

If you only have 1 deck you are comfortable with, fine, just play with that one. Dont want to force people into loosing matches just because they have no idea how a deck works.

Not too bothered about limits on cards by rarity. I have some legendaries but don't actually run any in my main decks (priest and warlock).

Do most tournaments force losing players to switch decks? They always seem to but sometimes that feels odd to me if it was a close game.

Yeah most tournaments seem to require the player to submit three decks.. then force switching decks after a loss. At least, the ones I have watched seem to do that. I think it would be cool to try something similar, but not fussed if people want to keep it simple.

Let's give it a few more days for people to post their thoughts and we'll try and come up with something based on the majority of opinions...

My preference would be for something relatively simple. I've only really got 2 decks that I'm completely comfortable with, and I don't quite understand the logic of the loser having to switch decks (whilst presumably the winner gets to keep his first choice). I don't mind whether it's a free for all or restricted number of legendaries. In some ways it would be quite nice to see the fancy cards others have unlocked, even if it means taking a beating. All that said, I don't have any really strong views. Happy to go with the consensus.

The default class decks, so that way everyone has the same pool of cards, you just pick your favourite 3 characters.

There's plenty of scope for messing about sure, but a vanilla tourney would be interesting i reckon. I'd have to go back and figure out why is in the default decks for a start.

Could be pretty dull though over an entire tournament. Me and a friend got bored pretty quickly just playing casuals with them. Pauper decks work in magic because the pool is so wide you can restrict matches to only one class of cards. Maybe have one vanilla league or one all card pool league? That way you get the best of both worlds as you can choose to play in one or the other or maybe both depending on what you want.

Are we talking the actual as given class decks (I.e. no construction at all) or only basic cards? Either way, I think the games a bit dull with such a small collection of cards. Whilst I understand levelling the field a bit going all basic seems like its stripping out half the game.

I reckon we should get a poll going. General consensus seems to be one of the following options

• Free for All - Use whatever cards you like

• Free to play - No rares, epics or legendaries.

• Dont care - Just a bit of fun

So either we have "boring" parity or willy waving mega decks. Is there nothing in between?

This is turning into a faff.

Let's just do free for all first then once us plebs have been destroyed by the decks comprised of nothing but legendaries we can bicker over some rules.

Well, let's say 2 legendaries max, anything else goes. If anyone really disagrees then speak now or forever etc :)

I'll try and set up some sort of bracket on Challonge.com (as was suggested) at some point today. We have 18 people on the sign up.. so the tournament might be a bit lopsided but I reckon it's more important to include everyone. This might make double elimination impossible, but I'll see what I can do.

In the interests of minimizing faff I say we don't bother submitting decks or anything and just say play what you want whenever. Could say you have to play more than one class per game or something?

Oh, and best of 3 or best of 5..? So many rule decisions!

Edit: How's this...? http://challonge.com/rllmukhearthstone

All looks good to me.

What we could do if you want to do a best of 3 (which I do think we should do, due to the pure randomness of the game sometimes) is run the each leg of the tournament over the space of a few days. let the 2 people who are paired against each other arrange a time that suits them both. So if they have time for 3 matches in a row they can, or if they need to play one match at lunchtime over 3 days then that sorts them out too.

If we can get at least one person recording each match we can set up a youtube channel and see how everyone got on!

Just a heads up! I'm in hospital for an op next week, from Tuesday afternoon till Thursday, but will be up and about (well, sitting at my deask at home) playing a lot so hope you all agree I can still take part. I'll be able to post from the hospital if it turns out I'll be for longer (which I shouldn't be), but don't have an iPad, only an Android, so couldn't play from there :)