IGNORED

Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition releasing May 22, 2018

JPR

An FPS from the developers of E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, which wasn't too far from a Warhammer game itself, set for release in 2015. Devs seem a good match for this and more WH40K the better, looking forward to it.

Space Hulk: Deathwing offers players the chance to experience a desperate battle against Genestealers in the claustrophobic tunnels of a Space Hulk, as they will gain skills, new abilities and new equipment thanks to experience earned during perilous missions.

Youll take on the role of a Space Marine from one of the most secret and most feared Space Marine Companies: the Deathwing from the Dark Angels. Strap on your Terminator armour and equip the emblematic weaponry of the Space Marines to overcome the threats awaiting you in the Space Hulk.

As a Librarian, you will also master the destructive powers of the Psykers. Your skills and performance in battle grant you Fervor Points, to spend on four skill trees allowing you to improve your abilities, unlock new powers, access powerful relics and devastating new weapons.

Source

spacehulk_deathwing-04.jpg

spacehulk_deathwing-03.jpg

spacehulk_deathwing-02.jpg

spacehulk_deathwing-01.jpg

Does annoy me that they call these CGI cutscenes 'trailers' when they show nothing of the actual game.

There's certainly room for an updated, space hulk style game in the W40K universe (though I doubt we'll see the like again, too slow paced and strategic for commercial appeal) so interested to see how this develops. Just please, not another straight forward run and gun that squanders the licence, especially with something as promising as a Deathwing focus.

My concern is that the blurb suggests that this is a FPS based on a single character. After the wonderful X-Com a couple of years ago it would be great to see something like that within the Space Hulk franchise, rewarding careful methodical gameplay and resource management with a scary as hell motion sensor thrown in. I want to feel a hollow loss when my carefully crafted squad member Azrael gets ripped apart due to a flamer malfunction, not watch a cutscene as the squad leader tells his team to finish the mission as he heroically sacrifices himself to cover their escape. This may deliver, but the trailer suggests Gears of Warhammer 40K rather then X-Com: ohfucksomanyGenestealers.

I doubt very much that it's going to be Gears of Warhammer, after playing through E.Y.E.

We've had a recent Space Hulk turn based update, no need for another one so soon. I'm really looking forward to this, E.Y.E. was really rough around the edges, but in a lot of ways was an excellent match or the strange atmosphere I imagine the Imperium having. Probably would have been better as a Mechanicus game, but the Marines are the poster boys, I guess.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Some new in-game shots and details:

Team up and shoot Genestealers in the face in Space Hulk: Deathwing, Streum On's FPS adaptation on PC and consoles of Games Workshop's classic boardgame, now revealed in all new screenshots.

Additionally to its solo game mode, Space Hulk: Deathwing features class-based cooperative team-play and will demand not only savvy hand-eye coordination, but also clever use of squad tactics coordinated by the Librarian; the leader of your Terminator squad. Each player will make use of their role and specialization to wade through swarms of approaching Genestealers, and reach objectives as you advance through the story.

With a narrative written by renowned Black Library author Gav Thorpe, the game takes players on a grand and immersive journey through the infested hallways of a labyrinth of space ships.

As a Librarian, players will be able to make use of powerful psychic abilities, and give orders to their squad to avoid being flanked, secure doorways...

Streum On Studio have crafted a dynamic AI system that scales attacks depending on the ability of the player squad, ensuring players will always be challenged. If you're doing well, the Genestealers will intensify their assault, but as you begin to weaken, they'll not unnecessarily risk their numbers. You'll have to work as a team in multiplayer - or give the right orders to your AI squad in single player - to survive the harsh realities of war in a Space Hulk.

Space Hulk: Deathwing will release in 2016 on PC and consoles.

i1S5tyn.jpg

CXo5LOC.jpg

ASiXj3i.jpg

djhe3gP.jpg

• 10 months later...
13 hours ago, b00dles said:

That does look good but the screen "bob" when you walk looks off puttingly OTT in a way.

People had similar complaints about E.Y.E but it had an option to turn it off, hopefully they'll have kept it.

Not a deal breaker but it just stuck out a bit in that trailer, probably feels different when you're playing it anyway.

@JPR

new page.... erm. I hope all of the characters are called suitably over the top biblical type names like in the ancient Space Hulk. Loved the way they screamed out 'NATHANIEL! AZRAEL!' all the time.