IGNORED

Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition releasing May 22, 2018

JPR

Looks a bit more shooty shooty from that trailer but team based around different space hulks with goals and that within the level. Has upgradeable guns and armour too from the look of it but I don't think it's proper RPG like. Just guessing from the trailer though, someone probably knows better!

9 hours ago, b00dles said:

Not a deal breaker but it just stuck out a bit in that trailer, probably feels different when you're playing it anyway.

@JPR

new page.... erm. I hope all of the characters are called suitably over the top biblical type names like in the ancient Space Hulk. Loved the way they screamed out 'NATHANIEL! AZRAEL!' all the time.

BETHOR! Always seemed very cheerful compared to the others.

Hah, I remember that perfectly. :)

Anyway, seems with the just announced DoW3 we're getting a deluge of GOOD warhammer games lately. GW have been pretty fucking ambivalent about what material gets farmed out to what dev, but my god when theyre good theyre really good. Cant wait.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, Space Marine games should always be voiced in clipped, pretentious English tones, it's a perfect fit for them.

This is near the top of my wishlist, and I'll pick it up in the new year - the only reason I'm waiting (aside from a lack of funds) is my having hit my limit for games bought this year. I've loved all of the Space Marine computer game adaptations, and I really enjoyed the developer's previous definitely-not-a-space-marine-game EYE: Divine Cybermancy despite its flaws, so I really want to get my hands on this.

Yup. Knowing their previous game was EYE, I always expected this to be a bit clunky but reading the RPS Wot I Think has put me right off until they sort out a performance patch. 

Spoiler

Who am I kidding? I'm a sucker for Space Hulk. I'll hold off for as long as I can but I'll be flabbergasted (you heard) if I haven't bought it by next week.

9 hours ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, Space Marine games should always be voiced in clipped, pretentious English tones, it's a perfect fit for them.

I dunno, would be funny to have "Eh oop, lads, one o'them alien buggers is 'id up 't'ginnel"

For all of about 5 seconds.

Well I lasted two days.

The single player is great.  It really hits the right vibe with tons of po-faced exposition and what you can tell is a lovingly created look.  The attention to detail in the visuals is fantastic with the mix of gothic stonework and metallic, industrial corridors and gantries.  Movement  and combat feel suitably chunky and weighty and there's the requisite amount of blood and limbs flying everywhere.  It runs ok (on high) but the framerate definitely goes for a wander when there's lots going on, although not to unplayable levels so far. I can imagine it'll be a bit of a chore when the maps get busier later on and I can see how it'd plummet into single digits in multiplayer as is being reported all over the place.

I'm not a 40k super-nerd or anything, haven't read any of the books and know feck all of the backstory.  I just dig the whole aesthetic, and it really nails that so I'm happy enough.

TLDR - wait for a patch.

I'm been watching this from afar - like Nathan I have no knowledge (or interest, really) in the lore or any of that, but I like the look of it. How are the skill trees? Does if offer pad support? Is it purely 'kill everything' or is there a little bit of variety in what you do?

I haven't checked for pad support. Will have a look later. The skill trees look limited, it's not like an ARPG or anything. There are three of them and they each contain ten or so skills. I had enough points to unlock a new ability after completing the first mission last night, with around an hour of play. It's very much RPG-lite, but some of them sound quite interesting from the descriptions, like a vortex that sucks up and tears apart a load of space-bastards. The first mission sends you to a few places on the map to scan some stuff, pick a couple of bits up, then defend for time against waves so it gave a good sense of exploring this ancient stone and steel hulk, and you can wander around anywhere on the map looking for pick-ups etc. you're not just limited to the mission waypoints. There are doors and turrets to hack and breakable walls to punch and the various psy skills add a little extra to the gameplay. Just trooping about, soaking up the atmosphere was really cool. If you boil it down, like any FPS, of course it comes down to shooting bad dudes, but it does a decent job of disguising it with other stuff. The squad commands are quite limited but I like that. Reminds me of Republic Commando.

Enemies attack from all angles, yes. It works really well in the closed corridors and you can get properly swamped. There's a good sense of desperation when you're thoroughly bogged down in galactic-twats and you hear the click of your gun emptying so you start flailing around like a loon with your mighty chopper. The odds feel overwhelming as they should, but equally, when you're swatting the cosmic-turds away and scores of limbs are decorating the walls you feel powerful, as you should. The illusion breaks a bit in the more open areas where they do end up running at you in a conga line, but there are enough of them that a few always break rank and get to the side of you. Also, when three conga lines are steaming at you from different sides of the room, you're kept busy enough.  Playing on a harder difficulty helps. 

I'm content that I'll get my money's worth from the single player alone, because I'm doing Space Hulk. Just like wot I done on a board and on my mate's Amiga as a kid, but with glorious modern graffix so I don't have to use my ailing imagination to fill in the blanks any more.

I can understand why people that perhaps don't have that childhood investment and just wanted a cool new FPS to play might get a bit more hung up on the technical problems, because they are there.

On 15/12/2016 at 23:38, clippa said:

The whole 40k space marine mythos is like catnip to the pompous and the pedantic. It's all very regal and affected and grandiose.

That's the sound of their inner-voice.

Total biscuit is from Spennymoor, you know, in Durham? I couldn't believe it when I found out. He should have a geordie accent like me. I think eventually his ego took over and started to reject it, he began rolling his R's and never looked back.

To be fair, smirking, looking down your nose and going "why aye pet!" doesn't really fit.

tb.jpg

Ha I live pretty close to there. You're not wrong though, he's gone for the full on "Lets pretend I'm not Northern" Donna Air style. Can hear the Durham accent though, he isn't going to get away that easy ;)

This is great*!  Played on hard difficulty in a dark room with headphones on, the atmosphere is sensational. The creaks and groans of the derelict ships are properly piddle-inducing. I'm really happy with it and it's a savage game if you get swamped or cornered, which makes it super tense.  Also - I'm going to go there - it's actually running really quite well (i5 4690K, GTX970, 16gb).

If they do a decent job of the PS4 conversion I think I'll even double-dip to play with my chums over there.

*Still haven't tried multiplayer.

Edit - A lot of the problem, performance issues aside, is with the subject matter for Space Hulk games. It's incredibly limiting for the developers. Far more so than the wider 40k universe. The original board game was very narrow in scope, even taking the expansions into consideration. A video game version is always going to be bound by that or the core (incredibly vocal) fan base would be up in arms. They're in a bit of a catch 22 situation because they can't stray from the subject matter, but that isn't going to endear the game to new players.

The recent computer remake of the board game is a case in point. People whinged that it was boring, but it was the board game. It is dry and repetitive, but it's all about the setting and that one time in fifty where you actually win against the overwhelming odds. I think the developers of Deathwing have done a pretty good job of capturing that feeling and this game is destined to become a cult hit down the line.

Funnily enough I have run into my first few bugs (pffffffttttt!) post patch - not a sausage before.  One BSOD and one which resulted in me losing all control inputs except for WASD which meant I could walk but do fuck all else.  It was rendered hilarious due to happening in a dream sequence in which you can't be hurt or killed so I was surrounded by literally around a hundred space bastards all trying to moider me.  Still love it but it's so oppressive I can only play in hour-long sittings.

Edit - Unlocked the Spear of Caliban this afternoon.  It's a master crafted plasma doucheball exploder.  It makes space-twats pop. Best weapon in any FPS ever. More satisfying than the Cerebral Bore.

• 1 year later...

This is getting an enhanced edition.

Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition unveils release date with a Xenos-slaying new trailer!

Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition, the FPS from Streum On Studio, set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, arrives for PlayStation®4 and PC on May 22, 2018. Dive into today’s brand new Gameplay Trailer to celebrate the upcoming release, which brings the game to console for the first time and will be available free for all current owners on PC.

Play as a Space Marine of the Deathwing – the feared 1st Company of the secretive Dark Angels – and engage in a desperate battle against Genestealers within the confines of a Space Hulk. Grow more powerful, gain skills and abilities, and master devastating weapons as you earn experience. Play solo or in online cooperative multiplayer with up to 4 players. The Enhanced Edition brings a host of new content and upgrades, expanding upon the base game for the ultimate Space Hulk experience: Class Customization – deep progression system lets players unlock armor and weapon skins, attachments, perks and more for aesthetic and gameplay customization. Chaplain Class – the Chaplain brings a host of abilities to increase the squad’s survivability, and is more than capable of killing hordes of Xenos in melee combat. New Weapons – more melee and ranged weapons give players even more options to load out their squad in battle. New Enemy Types – new, unique Genestealer types offer greater challenge to those who dare enter the depths of the Space Hulk. Special Missions – randomized objectives and enemy spawns bring a new level of replayability.

All aspects of Class Customization are earned entirely in-game, with no microtransactions. Several of the above features have already been made freely available on PC, as part of the game’s ongoing support.

Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition arrives on PlayStation 4 and PC on May 22, with all Enhanced Edition content free for owners of the game on PC.

Looks nice but I'm already playing Vermintide and recently also tried my hand at Dawn of War 3. I can only handle so much Warhammer in my life at any given time. :P

• 3 years later...
12 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I did double dip on PS4 about a year ago when it was cheap and it was an abysmal port.  It ran so badly.  No idea if it's been fixed up.

Hmm. It’s a pretty old game, I doubt they’ll be releasing any substantial patches.