IGNORED

Ez Flash Advance

Jack

Mine came in the post today, having ordered it on Sunday. It's incredibly easy to set up. Just do the following:

• Download the latest software from the website
  • Unzip it to a folder
  • Insert the included USB cable to the PC and GBA, and turn the GBA on
  • Install the driver from the folder you unzipped to
  • That's it!

Flashed four games to the cart (Wario Ware, Top Gear Rally, Advance Wars 2, and Love Hina Advance), and they were all done in a couple of minutes, with a fair bit of space left. Lovely. Turn it on, and up comes a lovely menu with a real time clock ticking away, and all the games there and ready to boot. Choosing any of them launches you straight into the game, without any loading or decompressing to wait through. Testing each of them in turn, the save game was still there after turning on and off, and the clock was correct right down the exact second. I'm liking this. Only £90 for a 256Mbit cart and linker from GBAX.com. Go there now, they're quick with delivery and based in the UK so you won't get stiffed by import tax.

P.S. The cart has "All Copyleft Reserved" written on it. ;)

Excellent! Hardcore Nintyboys encouraging other gamers to stiff the company they love. Delicious.

04fr.gif

If you must buy one of these, at least buy Mario & Luigi and Final Fantasy Tactics properly before you become a pirate. That's all I ask

Got both. Hurrah.

I wouldn't absolve myself of non-piracy guilt, however I do chuckle immensely at the thought of some people posting endlessly here about Nintendo, and all the shit rumours, defending the harsh scores and dribbling over the screenshots, in total awaiting the latest releases--only to turn around and essentially nick them.

There's a dash of ;) in what I'm saying, but not much.

Actually, if you look at my EZ-F Advance now, it's got a shedload of public domain ROMs and tools on it. There's a surprising amount you can do on these carts, it's like an Xbox chip. Almost. http://www.caimans.net/ has a good dealy for JPEG slideshows, and some GBA sized videos.

If your interested and have the motivation, you can do a spot of programming too. See the Development folder where this topic was discussed recently.

How long does the GBA battery last whilst running these flash carts?

I have read that it can reduce battery performance by 30% compared to a 'legal' cart.

I want one but I don't want to fuck around recharging my GBA every five minutes*. So exactly how bad is this issue, if at all?

*shocking exaggeration.

How long does the GBA battery last whilst running these flash carts?

I have read that it can reduce battery performance by 30% compared to a 'legal' cart.

I want one but I don't want to fuck around recharging my GBA every five minutes*. So exactly how bad is this issue, if at all?

I actually tested this when I got my flash cart about 18 months ago (yep, I am that sad).

the same rechargable batteries lasted just over 8 hours on a full charge with a legit copy of mario kart and a rom version on the flashcart, so as far as I can tell, it's a load of balls.

OOI why the extreme negativity towards both GBAX and the USB device? Surely the USB hammers Parallel in performance and as for GBAX, I thought that they were reasonably priced.

Of course, I could be wrong on both counts...

Wouldn't be the first time.

it's been a while, but last time I took an interest in the gba scene there were loads of people moaning about problems with the usb linkers (compatibility issues with some games, the sofware being a nightmare etc), as for gbax they cancelled my GP32 order and then took a couple of months to actually give me my money back, but that was probably a one off.

Get an F2A Linker instead. They are the best with the best software supports, the best brand and reputation - Bung is a well known brand and has been for several years - and coders such as Flubba from the PocketNES team usually use the F2A to test rather than the others. Only thing is lacks is a real time clock, but I can live without that.

As for the whole battery life thing, that was true a few generations ago. My Flash Advance Linker 128mbit cart (bigger than a regular GBA cart) uses power quite a bit quicker but that's just because it's an old design. The newer revisions don't suffer from this problem.

These are EZF linkers and not EZ-Flash. Don't get the two confused - one is good and one is utter shite.