IGNORED

Ez Flash Advance

Jack

EZF carts flash faster than F2A carts. Anyway, I'm not too keen on the F2A carts, as they have all kinds of problems with the GBA SP, I hear, and some of the carts need to be sanded down to fit into the SP.

Early F2A carts had problems with the European GBA Link port for uploading roms. Newer ones have no problems - problems with these F2A linkers can be solved by buying a linker. Some carts do need to be sanded down to fit the Sp. Those purchased back in 2001 that is - mine is one of those.

The F2A is the best linker. No doubt about it.

Can anyone clear up what one to get? One that works via USB and with Win XP.

Also, If the best one is the one without an internal clock (not sure if that is the best one), what would I lose by not having a clock?

Thanks.

I would say the F2A one simply for the fact that Bung are a well known brand, and the software is well supported. Bung's copiers generally have a lower depreciation (as they are generally considered to be "the best") and are regarded to be the most reliable. As far as these dodgy companies go, I'd trust Bung more than any other.

Note that a new version of Flash2Advance - the Flash2Advance Ultra - has just been released incorporating a Real Time Clock function with sizes upto 1 gigabit (upto 128 megabytes) so I would say the F2A Ultra is the one to get. It also supports all the save types now so no more patching and uploading has been sped up so the F2A Ultra is definately the best one out there.

The RTC is the Real-time Clock. This means you can't play the GBA Pokemon games on 'em, as they need an internal clock. I'm pretty sure they are the only games needing it.

Both linkers work via USB with Windows XP although there are people who have problems getting both linkers working.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. it's here.

GBAX helpfully didn't send me an instruction sheet with it, so it's taken me the best part of the day to get it going.

Now it's up and running, but the provided sw is very clunky. I've downloaded the XG2Flash 2.0 version, but can't get that working either - moans about "XG-Writer not found".

Anyone got any tips?

Ok, I took the plunge. Black GBA SP and 256Mb EZ-F.

The EZ-F was out of stock though so they're letting me have the more expensive XG2 instead.

Arrives tomorrow! *excitement*

My suggestion? Return it and get them to give you the better EZFA cart.

Got mine about ten days ago.

Fantastic stuff.

I've been playing Harvest Moon (which I'll buy when it comes out over here), Elite, Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner, Android 2 (which I had forgotten but nearly made me cry with nostalgia when I saw it) Monty Mole and more. I've also burned The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Animal Farm on to it for some light reading in between gaming bouts.

How did I live without this product?

I've been playing Harvest Moon (which I'll buy when it comes out over here), Elite, Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner, Android 2 (which I had forgotten but nearly made me cry with nostalgia when I saw it)

Android 2, what a great game! Whatever happened to Costa Panayi? Truly one of the unsung heroes of the 8-bit era.

Must resist buying one of these flash things...

But... but... [clutching at straws] isn't the resolution of the GBA screen too low for Speccy games? Can you really play Android 2 on one of these things?

The man makes a good point, you're missing 32 pixels off a spectrum screen length (160 for the GBA, and 192 for the Spectrum). My guess is perhaps they miss the occassional line off, like the NES emulator that Nintendo use for Animal Crossing etc, does.

You sod have sold it to me. I got a EZ Flash Advance which should arrive tues / wed. I just hope it gonna be easy and no fiddiling about. Mainly looking forward to playing some NES Rpg's so keeping em crossed it goes without any hiches...then again i always got my back up gurus....you lot !

The man makes a good point, you're missing 32 pixels off a spectrum screen length (160 for the GBA, and 192 for the Spectrum). My guess is perhaps they miss the occassional line off, like the NES emulator that Nintendo use for Animal Crossing etc, does.

The ZXAdvance emulator will squash the picture for you (probably using the method you propose). It's not perfect but it's as near as.