rllmuk

Tusk - New horror from Kevin Smith - Trailer

Apparently born from a joke on a podcast he did last year, Kevin Smith presents his next directorial foray in to horror - Tusk.

Justin Long plays a guy who collects weird and wonderful stories for a podcast. Intrigued by a letter, he visits an old man (Michael Phelps) with a unique tale to tell, and a very worrying obsession...

It's certainly an intriguing trailer...

• Upvote 4
  • 4 months later...

Wow. Bizarre film. Is it any good? I'm not really sure. It has it's moments and is a bit messed up but certainly has some twisted humor.

Personally thought all of the scenes with the drunk detective guy (johnny depp)where boring and probably should have been cut down but that's just my view.

Yeah, apparently Smith agrees, but a big part of Depp wanting to do the movie was the opportunity to act with Parks so he kept some stuff in out of respect (and to get him to come back for the rest of the "true north trilogy!")

I enjoyed the first half well enough, but the payoff comes half way through the movie and there wasn't much to keep me engaged for the rest. Also, for a guy who runs a podcast empire and knows the appeal is that it's a few friends sitting around talking naturally...why were the podcasters in this movie a couple of OTT shock jock sounding dudes?

edit: After re-reading that opening post I now want to see the movie where Justin Long goes to interview a walrus-obsessed olympic swimming gold medalist.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it got a wide release over here. I didn't see it around anywhere when it was out in the states anyway. It hit streaming services and less legitimate corners of the web a few days ago.

I was looking forward to seeing it in the cinema too! Kevin says the movie had made its money back before release, but the US theatrical run didn't exactly push it much past that.

It wasn't as good as I was hoping, but he's certainly come a long way as a director. The camera moved and everything!

Yeah, the UK release was meant to be 5th December but that date disappeared off the charts. Sony UK have the distribution rights- wish they'd hurry up and work out what they're going to do with it. Hopefully it'll show up on iTunes soon or something.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, finally got to watch this. Parts of it I really liked- Michael Parks is excellent, basically every time he's on the screen it's a great movie. Kurtzman's creature effects were great as well, and I liked the chopped up structure of it and how it wasn't afraid to chuck in a non-linear moment to enhance what you knew.

But... the Johnny Depp bit is terrible (at least his long monologue and the pointless flashback- when he's actually moving around and interacting properly with people he's much better- the Big Lebowski bit got a laugh from me) and grinds the film to a halt by having a character explain for ten minutes what the audience already knows. Do wish sometimes Smith would get someone other than himself to edit his films- just feels it needs that outside view to cut out the chaff.

Uneven is the word for it, I guess. There's some terrible writing and acting and directing, and some great writing, acting and direction. Overall I'm kind of glad a weird movie like this exists and would loved to have seen it blind without knowing anything about it. I sort of think if it was a Japanese film critics would have been a lot kinder to it- it's got some glaring flaws, but I find it hard not to feel some affection towards it's total commitment to seeing it's central idea through to the end.

makkuwata is spot on about the podcast stuff though- it felt very off and I was surprised how someone who spends so much time podcasting (Smith, not makkuwata, I've no idea what he does) could manage to fumble that one so badly.

It's an odd one. I really liked it; but then I really like SModcast and I think this was quintessentially a SModcast film: it has the same looseness in term of tone that the podcasts do, and the same sense of fun nonsense. It really feels like one long in-joke for fans of the podcast.

In one sense that's a dumb choice for Smith to make - he's relying on a really specific knowledge in his audience. But then I remember him complaining before he ever made Red State that he was sick of people trying to get him to appeal to a wider audience when he wanted to entertain the audience he already has. I can completely understand people not liking it. It doesn't make any concessions for people who aren't already completely on board, the pacing is weird, some of the acting is pretty iffy, Johnny Depp appears to just be dicking about (and Guy laPointe is funnier whenever Smith or Mosier are doing him on the podcast) but it definitely felt to me like the film he wanted to make and an accurate filmic representation of the podcast. And that's what I wanted from it.

It's an odd one. I really liked it; but then I really like SModcast and I think this was quintessentially a SModcast film: it has the same looseness in term of tone that the podcasts do, and the same sense of fun nonsense. It really feels like one long in-joke for fans of the podcast.

As a fan of Babble-On I cringed at the ringtone, but wonder if a non fan would give a second thought.

Yeah, the ringtone means nothing to me at all. I don't think it matters one way or the other, I definitely think the movie works (or doesn't work for some people) on it's own. I think whatever in-jokes there are easter eggs rather than a necessity.

Having had a few days to think about it, I reckon it's his best since Clerks- sure it's got some big flaws, but two of the scenes at least are genuinely brilliant, (the 'doctor is on his rounds' one and the dinner table one) - maybe because they're a bit more stripped down, no lengthy dialogues, and Michael Park is really raises the level as well.

It's one of those films that the more I think about it, the more I like it. At least the first half anyway.

How are people watching this?

I got the DVD off Amazon, it's the American one. Think the Blu Ray is out as well.

Yeah, the ringtone means nothing to me at all. I don't think it matters one way or the other, I definitely think the movie works (or doesn't work for some people) on it's own. I think whatever in-jokes there are easter eggs rather than a necessity.

About 30% of Babble-On ends up being Ralph Garman doing impressions. Most of the inside jokes didn't bother me, but the ringtone made me bristle a little as it plays a key role in a tense scene, and all I'm hearing is the intro music to one of the weekly podcast segments.

Thanks for the info, although I was hoping for some sort of VoD option so I could watch it tonight. For all the talk Mr Smith gives about changing how his films are made the distribution model is quite archaic.

Yeah, I just had a look and it's on YouTube as well in full right now as well- there's probably some reason why the UK distributors are sitting on it (or maybe they don't have the rights when it comes to DVD / Blu Ray / streaming in this territory... I've no idea how that all works for this) but it does feel like a missed opportunity to make some money on it.

It is pretty stupid. When he talks about how much he dislikes the Hollywood 'machine', he never seems to have any issues with selling international distribution rights. And then no matter what interesting things he might do in the US, it all goes out of the window as soon as you're talking about other territories.