Fish & Chips

Gotters

If we can manage 60 pages of chatter about burgers hopeful there is something to say about F&Cs

I'm off work next week and planning a trip to take in the finest F&C's in the country, not sure where to go yet though.

Can see the Quayside in Whitby won the most recent award but wondered if anybody got any recomendations a bit nearer London ?

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jan/23/britains-best-fish-and-chip-shops

My rules for this trip though are you have to be able to eat in, and it has to be by the sea.

My current local fave F&C is Burlingtons in Enfield, for post Arsenal scoff, but hoping to go a bit further afield next week.

Bailey's on Dawes Road in Fulham gets excellent ratings.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d2719908-Reviews-Baileys_Fish_and_Chips-London_England.html#REVIEWS

I've only had chips from there a couple of times but they were very good! Also excellent, and nearby, is a small chippy at the Fulham Palace End of Greyhound Road - top chips, and they've improved their slightly-soggy saveloys from a few years back.

Bailey's on Dawes Road in Fulham gets excellent ratings.

I was just about to mention Bailey's, which I only discovered the week before they closed Putney Bridge so is sadly now an arse for me to get to. I've only eaten there once but it was bloody great, the best normal take-away fish and chips I've had. Apparently the bothers that own it used to run a chippy in Putney, which was also highly regarded, but they sold that on (and it has since gone downhill) and opened Bailey's.

The portions are massive, by the way. One large cod with a large chips can feed two quite easily.

Golden Galleon in Aldeburgh, Suffolk for eating in, although I've only ever been to the other two places for takeaway. Should be the same in theory though, ie really nice.

http://www.aldeburghfishandchips.co.uk/

Papa's Barn in Ditton, Kent is really nice, but it's not by the sea.

Went to a nice place in Helensburgh called the Wee Kelpie on holiday last year, perhaps a bit far to go specifically for fish & chips though.

Golden Galleon in Aldeburgh, Suffolk for eating in, although I've only ever been to the other two places for takeaway. Should be the same in theory though, ie really nice.

http://www.aldeburghfishandchips.co.uk/

Papa's Barn in Ditton, Kent is really nice, but it's not by the sea.

Went to a nice place in Helensburgh called the Wee Kelpie on holiday last year, perhaps a bit far to go specifically for fish & chips though.

thanks for the Aldeburgh tip, that looks really good and is only a 90m drive from me

thanks for the Aldeburgh tip, that looks really good and is only a 90m drive from me

Yeah, recommended. I worked in the town a few years back and it was common to see people queued down the road to eat there.

You could also take in southwold and the adnams brewery that way if you are thus inclined. May not be far in distance but the roads are a single lane extravaganza mostly.

Yeah. If you want good fish and chips, go on a road trip up the East Coast to Northumberland. Stop at Whitby, South Shields, North Shields, Gateshead and Newcastle. Your pleasure shall be limited only by the size of your stomach.

If they're not fried in beef dripping AVOID. Can vouch for Sir Horribleman's tips, the North East/North Yorkshire is the place to go. Always been disappointed with Whitby though, it's a nice little place but there are much better shops (and it's a fish shop not a "bar") that don't rest on laurels.

Why sit in too? Half the fun is getting them and eating them on your lap overlooking the sea - preferably with a can of fizzy pop balanced on the dashboard, windows wet with steam one side, rain the other - or on a bench dedicated to long dead parents while under diving attack from shite hawks.

If they're not fried in beef dripping AVOID.

A friend of mine owns a chippy -- two hundred miles away, alas -- and he had beef dripping on as an experiment the other day. It's really expensive apparently and the economics don't work out for him where he is.

He also sent me a picture of some beer-battered bacon. Looked ace.

When I visited it I got to fry my own fish. The technique involves brushing your fingers just a half-inch over the bubbling oil in the fryer. It's extremely intimidating. I didn't do very well...

Yeah, recommended. I worked in the town a few years back and it was common to see people queued down the road to eat there.

You could also take in southwold and the adnams brewery that way if you are thus inclined. May not be far in distance but the roads are a single lane extravaganza mostly.

Yeah every time I've been to the takeaway places it's been excellent. Nice little town too but it does get rammed with tourists on hot summer days. Aldeburgh also has Lawson's Deli which is very good, and huts on the beach selling freshly-caught fish.

Other good Suffolk coast foodie places:

- British Larder, Bromeswell: Nice restaurant between Woodbridge and Orford

- Orford: Lots of stuff in this picturesque little town. The Crown & Castle does a cracking Sunday roast; there's a couple of good smokehouses and oyster bars; and Pump St Bakery is a really excellent cafe

- Emmett's, Peasenhall: Amazing ham and bacon cured and smoked on site, plus other deli bits including ludicrously expensive but incredibly delicious Spanish chocolate. There's also another good butchers in Peasenhall too

- The Crown, Southwold: Nice hotel with excellent Adnams-focused bar, good food, drink and surroundings

- Alder Carr Farm, Needham Market: Ok this isn't really on the coast, but their homemade damson ice cream is worth the detour. Good local-focused deli on site and a nice cafe in one of the barns

Love the Magpie in Whitby. So good.

Never found amazing chips in the midlands. Would love to know of a top chippy in Nottingham.

One thing I really missed in Australia was proper fish and chips. Every attempt I had was piss poor.

George's in Belper. I lived in Nottingham for seven years and no chip shop stands out. Curry houses, yes; chip shops, no.

Belper isn't exactly close to Nottingham, but the food is great. We used to have one just down the road from where I live in Derby, but it was bought out by a chain and hasn't really been the same since.

The ones in Ripley, West Bridgeford and Ilkeston might be within travelling distance?

https://www.georgestradition.co.uk/

I've only been to the one in Belper. West Bridegeford would be the best bet for Dizogg.

PS. NEVER go to Il'son

Nowt wrong with Ilson, but to keep it on topic don't go out your way to go George's, average, you really do need to go out to the coast for decent fish and chips, which might be naive on my part as imagine a lot of the fish is frozen now where ever you go but for me, North East is always where I've eaten the best fish and chips.

Yeah. If you want good fish and chips, go on a road trip up the East Coast to Northumberland. Stop at Whitby, South Shields, North Shields, Gateshead and Newcastle. Your pleasure shall be limited only by the size of your stomach.

Add Durham to that list (grew up with Bells fish and chips and it's always the first thing I eat when I go back).

Hull has some lovely fish and chips places as well, and of course they also have their local delicacy called a pattie, which is basically mash potato with some sage covered in batter and deep fried. It's actually pretty nice really and also they have serve another local delicacy on their chips called chip spice.

Rick Stein's Seafood Restaurant does amazing beer battered cod and chips, although I may be a bit biased as I spent a year there slinging it out.

I was really disappointed with it, really greasy and the chips were awful. The Chip van up by Tescos was a lot better (and cheaper).

Had some at Quayside in Whitby last week, really nice as usual but a bit pricier than I remember. Good thick but light batter, didn't go soggy at all. Almost worth the three hours it took to get there, fuck you A64. Hadley's and Mr. Chips over the bridge have always been good too.

Down the coast at Filey there's Inghams which is probably the best there although it's not amazing. What is amazing is the size of the largest one they do, it's just silly.

Parents-in-law have had them at Rick Stein's and said they were shite.