Jump to content
rllmuk
JohnC

Studio Ghibli - All films on Netflix

Recommended Posts

Yeah, the first 45 minutes felt very drawn out to me. I liked the initial set up but as far as I can tell it's a film about a girl who needs to listen to the advice of her cat. Even my son got bored of it, and he's 3 and relatively happy with anything you put on the TV.

 

One of my colleagues told me that it's her favourite though and she used to watch it all the time as a kid, so I'm determined to finish it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiki is still my favourite, and my wife ended watching the whole too after catching the end with me. It's wonderful.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes I watch a movie that’s generally well received and bounce off it, so I get it, and I would say if any movie is deserving of a second run up it’s Kiki’s Delivery Service. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finished Kiki’s and I really liked the latter half a lot more than the first, but still feel I’m missing something.

 

It’s a wonderfully animated film which is a bit twee at times and goes at a very leisurely pace, without any obvious protagonist/antagonist stuff, which I can see being part of the appeal, but am still a bit perplexed for all the apparent love for it. What am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any recommendations for what to watch next? All the three I’ve seen are Miyazaki films. The others I quite like the look of are Castle in the Sky, My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away, which are also by him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Any recommendations for what to watch next? All the three I’ve seen are Miyazaki films. The others I quite like the look of are Castle in the Sky, My Neighbour Totoro and Spirited Away, which are also by him. 

 

Totoro is probably my favourite. It's just beautiful. It's quite relaxed too.

 

Have you seen Nausicaa? That's great and well paced. More of a traditional story arc too.

 

Spirited Away is totally weird but also amazing. Took me a couple of views to really grow to love it.

 

Castle in the Sky is a little long, but it's also amazing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t seen Nausicaa, no, but read a bit about it earlier. It looks great. Definitely going to give that a go. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I haven’t seen Nausicaa, no, but read a bit about it earlier. It looks great. Definitely going to give that a go. 

 

It is. 

 

It's a star amongst the Ghibli catalogue, which is saying something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whisper of the Heart was not the film I expected it to be and now I wish I'd seen it years ago.

 

The two things I knew about the film (Country Roads and that cat person) were so off-putting in my head yet not indictative of what the movie is actually about. Looking at when it was released, it really feels like the last of the old-school Ghibli movies.

 

I found the dialogue is written in such a mature tone with implication rather than explanation. The sense of location too is very well realised and gave me that feeling of nostalgia for a type of place I've never lived (much like Kiki). The passage of time is really well done too.

 

I've now seen all Ghibli up-to 2001 and nearly everything I'd want to see (but yes, I will see them all eventually).

 

This might be a top 3 for me.

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Whisper of the Heart was not the film I expected it to be and now I wish I'd seen it years ago.

 

The two things I knew about the film (Country Roads and that cat person) were so off-putting in my head yet not indictative of what the movie is actually about. Looking at when it was released, it really feels like the last of the old-school Ghibli movies.

 

I found the dialogue is written in such a mature tone with implication rather than explanation. The sense of location too is very well realised and gave me that feeling of nostalgia for a type of place I've never lived (much like Kiki). The passage of time is really well done too.

 

I've now seen all Ghibli up-to 2001 and nearly everything I'd want to see (but yes, I will see them all eventually).

 

This might be a top 3 for me.

 

I know you said you're going to watch them all but why is up to 2001 all you want to see? There's some wonderful films post Spirited Away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/06/2020 at 22:28, HarryBizzle said:

 

  Hide contents

The war for example. Suliman just calls it off at the end for no reason I could discern.

 

The plot with Turnip Head was a bit random as well. "I'm the missing prince from the neighbouring kingdom!" Was that mentioned elsewhere in the film?

 

 

Spoiler

Turniphead is the missing Prince (which is mentioned) and he calls an end to the war.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes there is so much more greatness - The Tale of Princess Kaguya is one of the most beautiful Ghibli films ever made.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

 

I know you said you're going to watch them all but why is up to 2001 all you want to see? There's some wonderful films post Spirited Away.

 

Slightly worded wrongly - I have seen the vast majority. I very much enjoyed The Wind Rises and Howl. The only films left for me to watch I have even more strong preconceptions about due to source material or the director.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MW_Jimmy It's probably easiest to list which ones you still have left to see!

 

Of course, whichever ones you list, someone will reply with with "Oh don't ignore _______ , that one's great!"

 

(Except Earthsea obviously.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In recent years I've found myself gravitating towards the less fantastical Ghibli films. Been shouting about Only Yesterday for years so I won't be repeat myself there, but there's just something about the way they capture the mundanity of the everyday that I utterly adore. It even accounts for my favourite parts of the more fantastical films; Kiki watching the world pass her by while waiting in the bakery, Mei trying to find stuff to do around the house and garden while her father works etc. Takahata's side of the catalogue is rich in this material, that slice of the everyday that a whole bunch of the old Japanese masters also showcased. I was just reminded of this by MW_Jimmy's post about Whisper of the Heart, and I could absolutely go for watching that again. I find something comforting about these stories that ultimately are about simple day-to-day life and experiences.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cheyenne - absolutely! The bits of quiet reality are what I really like. There is a lot of sitting around in Whisper and I absolutely adore it.

 

@Nick R Well yeah - I don't think any of the ones left will be a new favourite but could be wrong:

 

Cat Returns

Earthsea

Ponyo

Arrietty

Poppy Hill

Princess Kaguya

When Marnie Was There

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of those I reckon Arrietty will sneak up on you. Same with Marnie actually, Yonebayashi is a real one to watch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

@Cheyenne - absolutely! The bits of quiet reality are what I really like. There is a lot of sitting around in Whisper and I absolutely adore it.

 

@Nick R Well yeah - I don't think any of the ones left will be a new favourite but could be wrong:

 

Cat Returns

Earthsea

Ponyo

Arrietty

Poppy Hill

Princess Kaguya

When Marnie Was There


Ponyo is easily one of my top 5 Ghiblis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

@Cheyenne - absolutely! The bits of quiet reality are what I really like. There is a lot of sitting around in Whisper and I absolutely adore it.

 

@Nick R Well yeah - I don't think any of the ones left will be a new favourite but could be wrong:

 

Cat Returns

Earthsea

Ponyo

Arrietty

Poppy Hill

Princess Kaguya

When Marnie Was There


There are at least four top of the rankings Ghibli flicks in this list.

 

And I am including The Cat Returns. :quote:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:


Ponyo is easily one of my top 5 Ghiblis. 

 

1 hour ago, smac said:

Ponyo is simply lovely.

 

Ponyo is amazing.  Some excellent, huge action sequences, but on the flip side has incredible attention to detail: I love how Sōsuke acts, a proper little boy...the food...the sea life...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2020 at 11:31, Nick R said:

@MW_Jimmy It's probably easiest to list which ones you still have left to see!

 

Of course, whichever ones you list, someone will reply with with "Oh don't ignore _______ , that one's great!"

 

(Except Earthsea obviously.)

 

I've owned all Ghibli films on DVD for many years now. I've still not bothered with Tales from Earthsea.

 

@MW_Jimmy you should check out Castle of Cagliostro and The Red Turtle. They're bascially Ghibli in all but name. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Red Turtle is one of the finest films of the last decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ponyo will forever be etched in my memory for the pop culture effect it had on the Japanese kids I was teaching English to at its time of release - couldn’t move for children singing the bloody theme tune! That really elevated it’s impact for me - because I was fortunate enough to have the experience of seeing it through their eyes. It’s a lovely movie, great even; but to experience it through the target audience, to see how it enthused and excited them, is something really special indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/07/2020 at 16:31, Mitchell said:

Ponyo is amazing.  Some excellent, huge action sequences, but on the flip side has incredible attention to detail: I love how Sōsuke acts, a proper little boy...the food...the sea life...

The scene of Sosuke and his mother using the signal to message his father out to sea is one of my favourite scenes in all of cinema. Completely unnecessary to the story but a beautiful, delicate scene of a family's life. The piece from the soundtrack (Night/Flash Signal) is a delight too, one of Hisaishi's best pieces in my opinion.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.