rllmuk
JohnC

Studio Ghibli - All films on Netflix

I watched The Wind Rises for the first time yesterday.

Other than the knowledge that it's one of Ghibli's less fantastical films, based on a real person, and vague awareness of some controversy and criticism of the way it addresses Japan's actions in WW2, I didn't know much about it.

Probably because I'd heard it was less fantastical than usual, I'd always imagined it as a "minor", less essential Ghibli film, a quite irrational perception it shares with From Up On Poppy Hill (which I've seen) and When Marnie Was There (which I haven't).

I liked it a lot!

It came across to me like a combination of Porco Rosso (the focus on aeroplane flight), Whisper of the Heart (the fantasy is restricted to dream sequences) and Only Yesterday (the sense that someone is looking back on how they've lived their life - though in this case that's Miyazaki, not the main character).

Spoiler

The earthquake sequence is brief, but amazing.

I really liked the way that a lot of the sound effects - mostly the planes in the dream sequences, but some of the "real-world" noises too - seem to be made by human voices.

• Upvote 2

Wind Rises is brilliant, one of the top tier for me.

Along with all the others...

• Upvote 2

I was bored stiff watching The Wind Rises in the cinema. I probably should re-watch it. Maybe I had a really bad day.

13 minutes ago, Shoes said:

I was bored stiff watching The Wind Rises in the cinema. I probably should re-watch it. Maybe I had a really bad day.

I watched it for the first time the other week and whilst beautiful to look at, I didn't care for the stories or characters at all. The pace of it is all over the place too.

7 hours ago, Stigweard said:

I watched it for the first time the other week and whilst beautiful to look at, I didn't care for the stories or characters at all. The pace of it is all over the place too.

As with all latter period Miyazaki.

Is everyone watching the subbed versions of these, or has anyone braved the dubs? I heard Only Yesterday's was a good one?

22 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

Is everyone watching the subbed versions of these, or has anyone braved the dubs? I heard Only Yesterday's was a good one?

I used to watch the dubbed versions until I watched the Japanese version of Your Name, and then when I saw the rubbish English dub of that I decided to always watch these type of films in Japanese when it wasn't with my kids.

Although, I'm a massive fan of the Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle dubs. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Rudderless said:

I've been watching the dubs so far, saving the subs for a rewatch later down the line. There's so much to take in visually that I didn't want to miss anything through reading subs, and I've been quite impressed so far anyway. 

I had a look around the internet yesterday to see what the general opinion was on Ghibli dubs, and it seems even Miyazaki is a fan, which is good enough for me. 

Just now, Mogster said:

I had a look around the internet yesterday to see what the general opinion was on Ghibli dubs, and it seems even Miyazaki is a fan, which is good enough for me. 

A good chunk of them have really famous and great actors doing voices. 

Just now, Stigweard said:

A good chunk of them have really famous and great actors doing voices. 

Yep! I was surprised to find Mark Hamil voicing a role in Castle In The Sky. :D

I saw Kiki's Delivery Service for the first time yesterday, which is probably my favourite Ghibli movie so far. The dub's excellent too.

From memory, the Howl dub has a soldier near the start saying something in a crowd scene about the prince being missing, which was utterly absent from the sub on my DVD, but makes the ending be a lot less WTF. 

I’m guessing that was an accidental omission from the sub, rather than something added to the dub, mind. There may be a revised sub now. 

The only dub I hate is Laputa, because of that Dawson'S Creek guy doing a child's voice is laughable.

2 hours ago, Purin said:

The only dub I hate is Laputa, because of that Dawson'S Creek guy doing a child's voice is laughable.

I thought that, but I soon got used to it. On the flipside you also get Mark Hamil. :D

9 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

From memory, the Howl dub has a soldier near the start saying something in a crowd scene about the prince being missing, which was utterly absent from the sub on my DVD, but makes the ending be a lot less WTF. 

I’m guessing that was an accidental omission from the sub, rather than something added to the dub, mind. There may be a revised sub now. 

It is possible it was added to the dub. The only one I’ve got direct dub experience with is Totoro, IIRC. The subs I first saw that with were based on the dub rather than the Japanese. Turned out there was loads of dialogue added to the dub where there was no dialogue in the Japanese. It was weird reading conversations happening when there was nobody talking in Japanese. I think whoever made the dub at the time was afraid of short attentions spans or something so didn’t want too much silence. I think it may have been redone later with subs based on the Japanese rather then the dub to stop that weirdness. 

The Disney Ghibli dubs are great! I prefer them! 
As mentioned, voices are recorded last with anime like this, so it’s kinda subjective as it which is best. 

I normally watch them in Japanese with English subtitles - but I often rewind to see how certain bits were handled on the other audio track. e.g. with The Wind Rises the other day, I checked to see how the English dub handled the brief sections of Italian and German dialogue (and the German singing, which didn't get subtitles).

Sometimes with anime, the English subtitles provide a literal translation from Japanese while the English dub is reworded to fit the mouth movements, and each source provides information that the other does not. This means that I sometimes play the English dub with the English-translated-from-Japanese subtitles. I don't really do this with Ghibli, but I did it with both Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, and though it was distracting and led to frequent rewinding, it meant I was getting all the information that was needed to catch every nuance of each episode's plot! :sherlock:

• Upvote 1

Watching Totoro again. It's... there are no words. A true masterpiece.

Mei is my favourite character in all of cinema. Mimicking Satsuki, doing it with so much gusto. Falling on her arse running about the house :lol: 

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Upvote 9

Bucking the trend of trying to order Ghibli films into a ranked list, I’m just going to share my ratings for those I’ve watched recently (all dubs except Nausicaa which I have watched both sub and dub). 

Lupin 3rd Castle of Cagliostro 3/5

Nausicaa 4/5

Castle in the Sky 4/5

My Neighbour Totoro 5/5

Whisper of the Heart 3/5

Spirited Away 4/5

The two 3 star ratings are films I didn’t manage to sit and watch in one sitting with full concentration. I definitely feel like Whisper has potential to be at least a four. 

Sidenote - The Netflix versions look even better than my DVD copies. Any indication as to how long they will be on Netflix?

• Upvote 1

I think Totoro and Kiki's are the epitome of them. Totoro is more magical and Kiki's deals with a few more growing up issues but they are both utterly incredible movies. 

• Upvote 1

I liked what I saw. But that was across three sessions and the kids were as loud as the dialog during at least one of those!

Any other Lupin stuff worth watching? I see Amazon have a new series based on the female protagonist on prime. 

3 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

I see Amazon have a new series based on the female protagonist on prime. 

If that's the Fujiko series, that's a much more adult show.

• Upvote 1

What films would be suitable for a 6 year old after Totoro, Kiki and Castle In The Sky? 

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What films would be suitable for a 6 year old after Totoro, Kiki and Castle In The Sky? 

Ponyo!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Howls Moving Castle too

Those blob men are proper nightmare fuel, mind. 

2 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Bucking the trend of trying to order Ghibli films into a ranked list, I’m just going to share my ratings for those I’ve watched recently (all dubs except Nausicaa which I have watched both sub and dub). 

Lupin 3rd Castle of Cagliostro 3/5

Nausicaa 4/5

Castle in the Sky 4/5

My Neighbour Totoro 5/5

Whisper of the Heart 3/5

Spirited Away 4/5

The two 3 star ratings are films I didn’t manage to sit and watch in one sitting with full concentration. I definitely feel like Whisper has potential to be at least a four. 

Sidenote - The Netflix versions look even better than my DVD copies. Any indication as to how long they will be on Netflix?

Whisper of the Heart and Castle of Catigliostro are both 5/5, and the best in that list.

Considering you are also watching dubs, as your lawyer I am obliged to inform you that you are probably facing a very long prison sentence, and it would be wise to report yourself to the police now in the hope of some leniency when this case comes to court.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Those blob men are proper nightmare fuel, mind. 

My 6 year old watched it at 4 and was fine. 

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

Whisper of the Heart and Castle of Catigliostro are both 5/5, and the best in that list.

Considering you are also watching dubs, as your lawyer I am obliged to inform you that you are probably facing a very long prison sentence, and it would be wise to report yourself to the police now in the hope of some leniency when this case comes to court.

The dubs are absolutely fine, you big weeb. 

• Upvote 3