rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MW_Jimmy

Game of the Year 2014 is here! Velocity 2X! 2XPlay! 2XBuy!

Coming September 3rd, Velocity 2X is the sequel to Velocity Ultra is the remake to Velocity.

If you are unaware of what this is, it's a 2D shoot-em-up crossed with puzzle mechanics. Previous games started out simple, giving you time to learn the basic mechanics, and throughout the game kept layering more and more abilities.

I expect more of the glorious same here. 50 Levels, 25 Bonus Missions, lots of challenge.

Trailer

GOTY For

"Hi folks, I’m just gonna put this out there: Velocity 2X is a game-of-the-year winner." - futurlab

"When Futurlab posted Velocity 2X’s release date on the PlayStation Blog at the start of August along with the almost cocksure claim that their title will be a game-of-the-year winner, many (including myself) took this with a pinch of salt. After spending the last month playing this game day-in day-out, I can safely say that they have every right to make that claim. Velocity 2X certainly does feel like a true contender to that title and it is definitely one of the best games I have played on my favourite handheld to date." - The Vita Lounge

"Velocity 2X looks and plays like a Game Of The Year candidate" - Brash Games

GOTY Against

"While we hesitate to call it a game-of-the-year contender, the Vita needs more titles like Velocity 2X, a game that's equally effective when experienced in short bursts on the move, or in the kind of marathon sessions that tablet and smartphones cannot compete with." - Digital Spy

Awards

Least Disappointing Game 2014 - Chet & Jon Podcast

• Upvote 5

Velocity Ultra was fucking brilliant. I'm not entirely sold on the idea of platforming sections in between shmupping, and I'm not a fan of futurlab declaring their own game GOTY-worthy, but I'm still getting this day one (for Vita). Almost tempted to get a PS4 for it.

Forgot to mention - bradigor has been playing review code of this on PSN lately. Don't add him as a friend unless you want to be intensely jealous or if you're worried you might send him undignified messages begging him to tell you if it's any good (he refuses, by the way. What an asshole :().

• Upvote 1

I'm quite interested in the platforming sections, if only to see it add more variety. Visually, I think they have done a really good job in scaling up the experience too. Really looking forward to it.

Lucky bastards who are playing this already, like Suzzopher, do say it's one of the best games of the year and I'm not one bit surprised. Bring it.

I had to wait for at least the ps blog post to go live. So yeah it I am in agreement with Suzzopher.

That explains why I recognised Suzzophers name on the leaderboards :)

Yeah loving this game, sorry TxK I have a new first love and her name is Kai Tana.

I can't wait to see the first Kai cosplay!

So if this is GOTY 2014, can you remove it from the Olli Olli thread title please? Or just stop proclaiming everything to be GOTY. ;)

• Upvote 1

Having played it I can says its fantastic, and the platforming sections are a brilliant addition. I can definitely see this being on many peoples GOTY list.

• Upvote 3

Goddamn. I keep watching that video over and over. All those bullets.....fucking sweeeeeeeeeet

Received my Edge magazine today and it has their review for the game, I have typed up the final paragraph and score:

As a sequel, Velocity 2X is rarely short of ideas. A recurring boss has a new trick every time you meet him, while one terrific late flourish arrives just three levels before the end. If it's a lesser game than Velocity, it's not for a lack of effect on FuturLab's part. That it leaves even the faintest taste of disappointment speaks volumes about the quality of the original design, and the consistently evident talent of its makers.

Day one for me.

Gamestyle.com have our game of the year too

Do we? Considering the last time you did this was for OlliOlli I withhold my judgement till tomorrow. ;)

Do we? Considering the last time you did this was for OlliOlli I withhold my judgement till tomorrow. ;)

I need to stop liking everything

I can't quite understand what it is with a small section of discussion on here seemingly having an obsession with if a game is game-of-the-year. Is it some kind of in-joke?

Its only the beginning of September, so there's plenty more games to be released between now and the end of the year. And honestly, who really cares. I'm just glad that some decent games are getting released, I'm certainly not going to obsess over which one is the best of the best at this time of year, save it for January when there's nothing being released.

On topic, I'm really looking forward to playing this. I haven't used my vita much lately apart from a bit of TxK here and there, so it'll be nice to get stuck into something new.

Bradigor is just like a big, happy puppy who loves everything the first time he sees it. Labradigor.

I like that and it describes me to a tee when it comes to games.

• Upvote 3

I haven't played a Velocity game but seeing only 5 seconds of that trailer has me convinced that I should rectify that.

I just need to clarify one thing...

Coming September 3rd, Velocity 2X is the sequel to Velocity Ultra is the sequel to Velocity.

Wikipedia tells me that Velocity Ultra is a remake of Velocity.

How does the scoring work in this? I'm getting seemingly random amounts of points on the leaderboard. Is it just the points you got in your best run with all three targets combined, or does it take your best result for each target separately and extrapolate a score? I think it's the former but the game is being vague.

Rather liking this. I haven't got far because I just keep replaying levels over and over trying to perfect them :lol:

I'm WAY too slow with the teleporting in ship levels, unfortunately, the platforming ones feel lush though

I think it's a bit unfortunate that this is going straight to plus. I got Ultra free on Plus and have been waiting patiently to actually give Futurlab some money, but I'm not waiting a month after this is out to do it.

I think it's a bit unfortunate that this is going straight to plus. I got Ultra free on Plus and have been waiting patiently to actually give Futurlab some money, but I'm not waiting a month after this is out to do it.

You can donate on their site. :) It's what I did. That and I bought the soundtrack.

• Upvote 1

Wikipedia tells me that Velocity Ultra is a remake of Velocity.

Of course it is - I've fixed it.

TTK: I could never figure out the minutiae of the scoring mechanic on Velocity Ultra. I always found that to get Gold I had to kill every enemy.

• Upvote 1

Of course it is - I've fixed it.

TTK: I could never figure out the minutiae of the scoring mechanic on Velocity Ultra. I always found that to get Gold I had to kill every enemy.

Yeah, I can see how to score points within levels, killing every enemy or breaking everything you can break in ship levels, etc. Thing is it gives you a completely separate score for the leaderboard which is based on your time/collectibles/points and I can't quite work out how it's doing it, so I'm not really sure how to play to set the best leaderboard scores.

Like in the first level you can score 670 points in the level, but my score on the leaderboard is something like 840541.