rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Robo_1

Sony Pre-TGS Presser: P5, YS, DQ...

A lacklustre show still managed to deliver some quality content, the highlights of which were:

YS
Everyone's Golf
God Eater 2
New Gundam
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Yakuza 0
Kingdom Under Fire 2
Disagea 5
Dead or Alive 5
Resident Evil Revelations 2
P5
Dragon Quest: Heroes

You can watch a dubbed version of the conference at the U-Stream link below:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sceja-press-conference-english?ftcnt=ps:com_sceja_en

Pre-Conference Intro:

Last year Sony delivered an impressive pre-TGS press conference, announcing new PS4 games such as Guilty Gear Xrd, Lily Bergamo, Natural Doctrine and a new Gundam, as well as a healthy mix of Vita titles, such as Phantasy Star Nova, Yakuza Ishin, Danganronpa: Another Episode and Terraria.

They also found time to reveal the Vita Slim and surprised everyone by announcing a new console in the form of Vita TV (now rebranded as Playstation.TV in the West).

For those who would like to catch up with everything that was announced last year, you can watch the conferences and coverage here:

Five Hour IGN Coverage:

Gamespot Conference Coverage:

With PS4, (and indeed the entire home console business) struggling in Japan, all eyes will be on Sony's ability to deliver knockout titles for their new console and get sales moving.

A fresh look at the new Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts sounds like a safe bet, Gravity Rush 2 seems like a cert, and there's whispers that we'll be seeing some big announcements from Team Ninja along with what Famitsu is teasing as a "Godzilla sized announcement" during their presser.

Sony themselves are saying that new game reveals were held back from Gamescom to be shown at TGS, and whilst Shu has conceded that there won't be any further news about The Last Guardian, he is promising a PS4 focussed event with lots of new game announcements. It's also likely that we'll see the first fruits of the Japanese indie scene on PS4/Vita, which Sony has been quietly championing.

We'll get a better idea at what Japanese indies are bringing to Playstation during the last night of TGS, when Playism Games will be hosting the Playstation x Playism Indie Stream. During this event (which sounds more like a party for indie developers to meet up and discuss ideas) we are promised a look at what Sony's plans are for Japanese indies, as well as a few big announcements.

Sony's presser will also be coming off the back of their sponsorship of Japan's popular Hatsune Miku Magical Mirai show, which makes use of PS4's new Dynamic Lighting AR Tech. The tech looks very sophisticated, and its hopeful that it will make an appearance in game form during the keynote.

So all in all, it sounds like Sony have a lot to show this year. Alarm clocks at the ready. :)

Neither Nintendo or Microsoft will be hosting a TGS press conference this year.

• Upvote 6

I wonder if consoles can ever recover in Japan? The move to mobile devices has been so overwhelming I don't think it's a certainty at all. I suspect the next big gaming-on-TV wave will be when they're streaming services requiring no console at all.

Titles that might help like Youkai Watch, Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest are tricky to envisage getting any sort of home on PS4. Maybe across PS3, Vita and PS4?

A fresh look at the new Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts sounds like a safe bet, Gravity Rush 2 seems like a cert, and there's whispers that we'll be seeing some big announcements from Team Ninja along with what Famitsu is teasing as a "Godzilla sized announcement" during their presser.

Monster Hunter 5, cross buy/play?

I wonder if consoles can ever recover in Japan? The move to mobile devices has been so overwhelming I don't think it's a certainty at all. I suspect the next big gaming-on-TV wave will be when they're streaming services requiring no console at all.

I wouldn't say it's a certainty, no. Have Sony actually announced their Playstation.Now plans for Japan, as it could well be the best way to get console quality gaming back into the hearts and minds of the Japanese gamer. I'll be interested to see if the Japanese Indie scene will have much effect on the health of home consoles, as well as just being generally interested in what Japanese Indies produce.

Monster Hunter 5, cross buy/play?

Now that would be quite an announcement, and could very possibly live up to the Godzilla like claims. Would also be a double win for both Sony platforms... it would make for a sensible if costly move.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say it's a certainty, no. Have Sony actually announced their Playstation.Now plans for Japan, as it could well be the best way to get console quality gaming back into the hearts and minds of the Japanese gamer.

They're building it directly into TV's aren't they? Don't know if that's rolled out yet but I see that as the future of living-room gaming sooner or later.

In for Persona 5. (I can dream right?)

Kidding aside, hopefully we'll have a few more Vita bits than E3 and Gamescom have had - Gravity Rush 2 alone would make me happy. :)

In for Gravity Daze 2, more Bloodborne and cool surprises.

I just want a definitive release date for Bloodborne and I want it to be early 2015.

Can't wait to see what they have in store for 2017 and beyond.

In 2017 they'll reveal the PS4 version of The Last Guardian and it will be glorious. And it will come out in 2020.

Just to keep some life flowing through this thread until the actual conference, a new video for Deep Down has emerged:

The similarities to Dark Souls are undeniable, but the whole free to play thing continues to dull my interest.

• Upvote 1

It's a real shame that Squeenix seem uninterested in getting Dragon Quest X released in the west for Wii/Wii U/3DS, would love to see Sony step in and champion an English language version. Cross play/buy on all playstation platforms would be best.