IGNORED

Has anyone done research about whether gamers (or internet users) gamify interactions in real life?

Thread Owner

Having read about the Sarkeesian and Quinn stuff, and thinking more generally about trolling and the way people behave in online gaming spaces, I wondered if there is any research that has been done about what (if anything) differentiates people who act abusively in online spaces, what reinforces or reduces such behaviour, and whether any research has looked at whether people who play games or use websites (particularly those that score posts, or show view figures) change how they behave in real life at all? I am curious about whether people find themselves going for the easy quip or the offensive/provocative position in person, or making judgements about real life situations the way they do in preferred video games?

It seems quite an interesting topic to research - not that I'd want to risk exposing myself to the current culture by being doing such research myself, as a woman, and given there isn't any obvious way to get such research funded.

I think it is an interesting subject especially when you look at something like fitocracy which has managed to gamify exercise, essentially building leveling, quests and achievements into working out. They don't seem to have much on their blog about it though, which is a shame.

There are numerous studies on the links between gaming and violence (rejected by supreme court and thoroughly discredited if memory serves), might want to look at those as a starting point for how videogames influence behaviour.

Though obviously Anita comes more to it as a pop culture critic, you sound like you're considering a scientific approach, the difficulty there is that you'll need to decide on what you are measuring and then carry out research level analysis from data you produce, or use existing data and a causal link to prove some hypothesis. Might want to look at how corporations attempt to gamify behaviour, I recall reading about it a few years back and some strange emergent behaviour happens when normal working conditions are gamified.

I'm sure most of us have stories similar to that. After extensive Just Cause 2 play, I couldn't look at a petrol station, radio tower, or anything with a star on it without an instinctive thought that it must be destroyed.

That's an example of the Tetris Effect. What Geekette's talking about, I think, would be more to do with actual behaviour rather than simple thought processes, and the treating of real life as just another game with points to be scored, and bonuses for amplification or style.

I tried to get into skateboarding after I completed Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 & 2 back to back. spent 2 and a half hours one morning learning to ride, my balance and control improved but the pain in my hips over the next 3 days put me off doing it again. Fucking good exercise like.

Also I did piss about with speed running after playing assassins creed 2 (also watched a lot of Ninja Warrior around this time I think) but quickly gave up when I found out that my town wasn't built to be climbed over.