IGNORED

Daredevil - TV Series

Spleen

Finished last night. Brilliant throughout, especially the pace. I'm so glad they resisted bullshit villain of the week stuff and didn't have too many pointless fights, instead having a lot of the fights feel personal, either because of the odds Matt was fighting against or some genuine character motivation for people fighting. Loved the time taken to establish both the heroes and villains as multifaceted, human characters. Loved that he carried his wounds across episodes, loved that there wasn't a single plot thread that went unexplored or got forgotten, loved Fisk most of all.

I thought it was brilliant, so far ahead of most TV in terms of character, narrative and pacing. As a single season of TV I'd put this on a level with The Sopranos, not quite the quality of the wire but so much better than the thoughtless, over rated, childish shit most people consider to be "quality TV".

It was so good it makes the rest of Marvel's output look anaemic in comparison. Loved pretty much the whole cast and the relaxed pace that gave them all room to breathe and develop, was genuinely shocked by the showdown at the end of the penultimate episode, really dug Matt's Poundland Batman shtick and spent as much time getting patched up/recovering as he did battering chumps, Fisk and Vanessa were great (and oddly sweet, you end up rooting for this romance despite one of them being a terrifying rage-filled megabastard), and didn't find the setting up of various other threads too distracting. The weakest episodes were the one with Scott Glen and the finale (oh man, the outfit is So Bad) but I still enjoyed them. I would have liked to have a bit more on the legal side, Matt & Foggy are clearly talented lawyers but we don't really get to see much of it.

In a lot of ways it made me recall The Long Good Friday, where you see this powerful crime boss slowly unravel and struggle to maintain both his self-control and the wholly false image of big thinking class and sophistication he has tried to create for himself. Except in this case, it's not the IRA tearing him down but a blind Irish-American ninja, naturally.

About to watch episode 3 and so far it's much better than the other crap some of you have recommended (see Arrow and Person of Interest) lol. It's nothing amazing yet though mind. Just a dude going around kicking bad guys in the nuts. For what it's worth though it's executed well.

Quick post in and out to avoid spoilers:

I don't like superheroes. The deluge of films has worn me down and I'm sick of the dark, angsty aesthetic which has become clichéd.

BUT, this is fucking fantastic. I didn't expect it to be so good, especially the acting, and everyone involved in this deserves huge amounts of praise. Up to episode 6 and I've fucked my revision out of the window to finish it.

Wonderful.

Finished it and continued to love it.

Not knowing the source material, I liked how it was set-up for Karen or Vanessa to become Queen Bee and main antagonist down the line. I assume it'll continue to be Fitch but it left a lot of excellent doors open.

I love Bullseye in the DD movie, because it manages to make Colin Farrell, an actual Irish man from Ireland who speaks with an Irish accent, look like a bad LA impersonation of what they think an Irish man would be as filtered through Boston. It's magnificently terrible.

I'm on episode 12 at the moment and there is a part of me that wants another host of episodes right away. This is just brilliant.

Cox nails it and VD as Fisk is captivating. His presence on screen is amazing. Everything he does, his hand movements, his eyes. The motherfucker acts with everything. He needs to win awards for everything.

The guy who played Wesley was also superb. Great performance. They picked such a great team of actors for this. Plus his death was so unexpected.

That's my main issue with the series having finished it, the good actors are proper good (Cox, D'Onofrio, Dawson, the Wesley guy), but there's some poor casting and performances in the mix which unfortunately brings it all down.

Good series though. Not amazing, but certainly worth the time. Only main problem with the series, apart from the casting issues, is how padded out it felt towards the second half.

He is a bit one note Fisk, but he still is a very charismatic and different kind of villain, I genuinely feel for the relationship between him and his hot girlfriend.

Just finished and thought it was superb, even the final show down wasn't disappointing because I was actually emotionally engaged with the characters. Really glad it didn't go down the "villian of the week" route or focus too much on the main character coming to terms with their powers.

50% of the time Foggy was fine. That 50% was when he had to read lines fairly straight without having to display anything approaching 'charisma' or 'a personality'.

The other 50% of the time he was so thuddingly poor it was actually distracting. In the first episode I was convinced he was about to get run over walking down the street in a shock twist, as I couldn't believe they'd cast someone that bad in a major role. He did get better as time went on, but to begin with it felt like everyone else had been to rehearsals but him.

I thought Foggy worked really well with Matt but was boring and distracting whenever Matt wasn't there. Karen though, was awful throughout and is the worst thing about the show by a considerable distance.

Naaaaaaah.

I thought Karen was pretty good, unlike Foggy she appeared to have learned how to say words like she wasn't in a school drama class. He's got two modes.

1. Say words, in which he says words.

2. Joke, in which he says words while smiling like a twat.

I thought the guy who plays Foggy was alright. Didn't have to shoulder much dramatic weight, so that's really as much as I can say. I don't think they built up his and Matt's relationship very well, but I'm not sure that was his fault.

They sort of rushed through the backstory of their relationship during a single episode, and we were supposed to care about the fact that he's found out the truth. It was interesting because of the questions it raised... like him actually having to ask if he's really blind, and replaying moments in his head. But in terms of what it means for the two characters, I didn't really care too much.

I really liked this series. Marvel's films have been a bit bright and breezy so far, kind of ignoring what's been happening in comics for the past three decades. That has its place, but this showed that something a bit darker can flourish on cable tv. Even if it did go a bit over the top in terms of the violence sometimes for my taste, as if to remind you that you're not watching a network television show, perhaps this was just a symptom of the fact that they didn't really compromise on much. It really feels like they made exactly the show they wanted to make, warts and all. Very excited to see where they take it from here. Also hoping that there might be some crossover with the films; the MCU is lacking excellent bad guys besides Loki, and Fisk is another of those rare villains who you actually enjoy watching in their own right.

I quite liked Foggy. The only thing that annoyed me about his character was the completely unbelievable pairing of him with the very attractive lawyer girl friend. This is a very Annoying trend in many American films (especially Judd Apatow films) where slacker over weight scruffy buggers still have really attractive women falling for them.

4 episodes in and my wife and I are REALLY enjoying this. I didnt expect it to be so graphic either but they really dont shy away do they. It's nice to see more going on that just Daredevil going out and beating people up all night.

I really like the chemistry between him and his partner too, he provide that comic relief the show really needs in between all the blood and broken bones.

I said to my wife when The Kingpin was talking to the art lady that it's great theyre showing how he has a vulnerable side to him, something diffeent to the crazy mob boss he undoubtedly is....then later there was a car door involved.

The one critique I have is that so far it hasn't explained how he can "see" in order to move and fight. I'm hoping there's some explaining into that as the show progresses.

Just seen episode 10 and it's easily the best one yet! That flashback moment when they're just talking about their future plans was great. Some lovely character interaction there. Also, the other events were okay I guess (omfg).

This has quickly become one of my favourite shows right now.

Just finished the season. Takes a whopping six episodes to gain any traction, and the characterisation of the heroes is anaemic next to the excellent main villains, but the plot is rich and glutinous. Its a real pleasure to see Batman done this well. Did I say Batman? Ha ha, I meant Batman. Oops, no. Sorry, dont know whats wrong with me!

I like the show. Its a good vehicle for its tonally and visually dark storytelling, and feels like a throwback to a pre-60s era: low-tech, noirish shadows, secret organisations, mob rule and street-level, socially-conscious vigilantism. Its more Batman than Batmans ever been on our screens* and all the better for it.

*Disclaimer: haven't seen Gotham

Edit: negged for being positive? Guessing someone read the first couple sentences of this and made up their minds from that!