IGNORED

Captain America: Civil War

Space Renegade Ulala

26 minutes ago, DogEyedBoy said:

Thinking about it they probably used an image of Dominic Cooper instead of John Slattery (who they got back for Ant-Man) so as not to confuse the plebs coming into The Winter Soldier only having seen The First Avenger.

I'm not quite sure I get the whole 'Why did they use a young photo' point.  Isn't this fairly normal in Obituaries? 

I've just pulled a few recent ones, just to check I wasn't going to crazy, and lots of them using pictures of the person when much younger:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/17/mark-lane-obituary

http://www.theweek.co.uk/63679/bb-king-dead-at-89-the-bluesman-who-influenced-a-generation

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/15/christy-o-connor-sr-obituary

Those all seem to be pictures from when they were most well known and famous though. Howard Stark's younger years involving WW2 and S.H.I.E.L.D. are surely his least recognisable years from an appearance and achievement (because most of them are secret) perspective.

Just look at the photos used here.

1 hour ago, DogEyedBoy said:

Those all seem to be pictures from when they were most well known and famous though. Howard Stark's younger years involving WW2 and S.H.I.E.L.D. are surely his least recognisable years from an appearance and achievement (because most of them are secret) perspective.

Just look at the photos used here.

Young Howard Stark was an infamous playboy and society celebrity, even aside from his science and spy shenanigans. That stuff is more thoroughly explored in Agent Carter though.

I read it yesterday and it's actually a good issue and the end is really well done.

Speculation

Spoiler

There's at least 5 mentions of the Cosmic Cube/Sentient Cube throughout the issue so it seems to me that this is going to be a story where Hydra did a Skynet and sent back the woman to recruit Steve's Mum back in the day...

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally watched this film.

I happened to watch it straight after Dawn of Justice. And so was really looking forward to some light-hearted,secretly intellectually sophisticated, easy watching. And then the first half was literally as bad as Dawn of Justice. Just grimdark nonsense and stupid expository dialogue and people punching each other all over the screen. Then they introduced Spidey. Holey shit. After that it was like a totally different film. DEFINITELY the best incarnation of Spider-Man on film - I literally never knew I was a fan of Spider-Man till now. Also, Ant-Man. Brilliant. Still have no clue how I feel about the overall movie, or the paternalistic messaging. But Spider-Man and Ant-Man (and the obviously brilliant dialogue) managed to transform this from a grimdark car-crash into something worth watching. 

Ummm. in case anyone was interested in my opinion...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So Captain America at the end of Civil War....

(Major spoilers/speculation)

Spoiler

Loses his shield and gives up his costume and title.  When he did this in the comic books, he came back as "The Nomad" who was very anti-government.. 

Do you think it's possible that when we see him return in Infinity War, he'll be this Nomad character, and pass the shield on to someone else like Bucky Barnes?

Or do you think he'll simply come back as Steve Rogers for infinity war and by the time part 2 comes around, he'll be Captain America again?

I suspect a lot will depend on Chris Evans' contracts with Marvel and how he feels about continuing in the role. Infinity War will line up with a lot of people's contracts expiring and is heavily rumoured to be the time when Marvel will shake up the whole project. It reminds me of Babylon 5, the way JMS wrote in "trap doors" to let actors escape the show without ruining the plot.

I get the feeling they're going to do Dark Reign maybe after the next Avengers - they've destroyed SHIELD, split the Avengers and in the comics Ragnarok killed off the Gods, all of which were ways of weakening the "good guys" ahead of that event. Have a whole phase where the villains are in power and the Secret Avengers are hiding and fighting rather than globetrotting on a billionaires budget.

You know, I do lap up the Marvel stuff but the most immediate observation I can think of throughout this film is that for all the characters and the occasional slowness of story, everyone feels HEROIC. Like all the time. Even the shit characters. Even though throughout there's not that much to be heroey about, they still are. And the fight choreography (of which there is plenty) is nicely thumping, there's a lot of weight to it although less of the shakey cam would be nice, but it's fast and frequent and that itself keeps me on the edge of my seat and I don't have too much time to think about any potential plot nonsense - of which there must be some even though it's fucking miles above the utter crap that was the motivation behind the comic book civil war arc - as a result. It's completely the opposite of what Batman v Superman managed, and makes me feel sad for what that could and should have been.

On 18 June 2016 at 09:26, Tourist said:

So I finally watched this film.

I happened to watch it straight after Dawn of Justice. And so was really looking forward to some light-hearted,secretly intellectually sophisticated, easy watching. And then the first half was literally as bad as Dawn of Justice. Just grimdark nonsense and stupid expository dialogue and people punching each other all over the screen. Then they introduced Spidey. Holey shit. After that it was like a totally different film. DEFINITELY the best incarnation of Spider-Man on film - I literally never knew I was a fan of Spider-Man till now. Also, Ant-Man. Brilliant. Still have no clue how I feel about the overall movie, or the paternalistic messaging. But Spider-Man and Ant-Man (and the obviously brilliant dialogue) managed to transform this from a grimdark car-crash into something worth watching. 

Ummm. in case anyone was interested in my opinion...

nhOHBsN.gif

I'm not sure how any of Civil War is 'grim dark'...as for the comparison to DoJ, see gif.

I dunno it just seemed like a lot of people hitting  each other. I mean, I realise that is what happens in all of the marvel movies but this was the first one that I felt didn't really have a proper subtext. Till Spidey and Ant man turned up, like I say.

I agree, Winter Soldier was kind of more grounded and it was a tone that really suited, Civil War amped up the grittiness a little too much - the opening action sequence with Crossbones is a good example for tone, especially when he comes across as a rather adolescent edgy villain like everyone in BvS. It does relax from there.

giphy.gif

I love when they throw Cap around like a ragdoll, and then he just gets up and keeps going.

I thought the action looked really obviously fake in comparison to Winter Soldier. People moved faster than inertia and gravity would allow for, Black Panther especially looked very CG. A real step back for Marvel, especially considering how awesome the action sequences have been in Daredevil.

It's tremendous. I put it down again this week and it totally holds up. And as if it even needs saying, it continues to put BvS to shame on every level. Our heroes sitting round a table discussing the Accords offers more interesting performances and motivations than the entirety of DCs effort. It moves forward and flows superbly for a relatively long film, and when it's punctuated by action that action is fun and thrilling, not exhausting.

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

I thought the action looked really obviously fake in comparison to Winter Soldier. People moved faster than inertia and gravity would allow for, Black Panther especially looked very CG. A real step back for Marvel, especially considering how awesome the action sequences have been in Daredevil.

The chase sequence was a great example, with Bucky running faster than all the traffic, the legs weren't moving fast enough compared to his motion.

Anyway, I watched this again recently and it was better on second viewing but I still never really felt there was any real tension between the sides, the stakes didn't feel particularly high - the whole 'war' amounted to nothing more than a scuffle in an empty airport - and to me it didn't feel like it really set up anything bigger for down the line.

I'm a bit tired of all the Marvel films, to be honest, and this was the first Marvel film I saw at the cinema since Ultron (I skipped all of the Phase 2 stuff). GotG was great (even though I saw it on a plane), but none of the others have grabbed me since the original Avengers, despite being really quite excited to see this (I went in fairly blind). I've said in many of the other film threads that I find all the Marvel titles lack peril and are all too safe and that's always been a failing for me, especially when it is meant to be a central tenet here.

I watched Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition recently (I strongly disliked the theatrical cut when I saw that and, unrelated, I thought the added material did help) - but that at least embraced the fact that normal people suffer for these heroes' acts and started the series on that note (with Man of Steel) rather than retrofitting it into some tame clips as they did in this. And it's not all about killing people, but at least making it appear that these superheroes exist in the same world as the civilians - and I don't think Marvel have conveyed that well at all.