IGNORED

Captain America: Civil War

4 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Aye, I'm gonna buy the blu-ray on monday, but I downloaded the 1080p rip to watch this weekend.  My film of the year, it's fucking brilliant.

This is why I pre-order with HMV. 99% of pre-orders are sent out on the Friday before release and arrive next day. 

IMG_20160903_235228.jpg

14 hours ago, Gabe said:

I watched Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition recently (I strongly disliked the theatrical cut when I saw that and, unrelated, I thought the added material did help) - but that at least embraced the fact that normal people suffer for these heroes' acts and started the series on that note (with Man of Steel) rather than retrofitting it into some tame clips as they did in this. And it's not all about killing people, but at least making it appear that these superheroes exist in the same world as the civilians - and I don't think Marvel have conveyed that well at all.

This is a joke right? Man of Steel never makes even the slightest attempt to deal with the destruction, Superman is heroically kissing his girlfriend at the end in a pile of corpses. All of that stuff is retrofitted into BvS with the flashback at the start. And even worse, the message in the movie is that even if Superman doubts that he was right to kill thousands of people to defeat Zod, it was definitely the right thing to do. Both of his parents and Lois literally tell him that he can do whatever he wants and it's none of anyone else's business. Which means that after retrofitting those "consequences" of Man of Steel is actually just Snyder pretending to deal with that criticism by making it part of the plot, then having that plot be that actually all those nasty people who said that the last film was too violent were wrong and that actually Zac Snyder is very clever.

I kind of agree with the retrofitting in CW, but you literally couldn't have picked a worse example to compare it to. They're exactly the same in that aspect, BvS is just more ham fisted because the people who created it are incompetent.

On 03/09/2016 at 19:08, Captain LeChuck said:

Aye, I'm gonna buy the blu-ray on monday, but I downloaded the 1080p rip to watch this weekend.  My film of the year, it's fucking brilliant.

On 03/09/2016 at 23:48, Douche Bigelow said:

This is why I pre-order with HMV. 99% of pre-orders are sent out on the Friday before release and arrive next day. 

I pre-ordered from Amazon. Free release day delivery via Amazon Prime, with it sometimes coming on the Sunday before.

Never failed me.

... Until today.

For some reason, Amazon sent it out via Royal Mail, instead of the usual "man in a van" it uses for Prime.

Nothing came.

Amazon's site says it's still out for delivery and will be here today. Which is of course bullshit, as the postie has already been this morning and doesn't make a second fucking delivery in the evening.

Fuckers.

12 hours ago, Charles said:

I couldn't stop myself wasting good money on the Steel nook from Zavvi so it'll probably arrive next year some time.... 

Mine arrived yesterday. First time Zavvi have ever delivered something to me on the day of release as far as I can remember. It's lovely. I've also just ordered the Avengers Double Pack Steelbook as it's on offer today only for £17.99 Click go to Bargain! (thanks to Postabargain for the heads up on that!)

• 2 weeks later...

Have to be honest, this didn't really do anything for me. Perhaps it's Superhero Movie Fatigue, but I was really disappointed by it. 

Don't get me wrong, some nice things in there, Paul Rudd stole the show, IMO, with Spidey a close second, but the whole thing felt so laboured, like a few more weeks in the editing room wouldn't have killed it. 

Maybe I'll feel different after another viewing, but I'm not rushing back to it anytime soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...