IGNORED

Styx: Master of Shadows - a stealthgame actually about stealth

Mr. Gerbik

Bought this on pS4 purely on the back of Gerbik's excellent write up. It's so, so good:) Buy it!

Only other thing I would recommend for any first time players, try turning off the objective markers. It forces you to use the map to navigate, which doesn't have a big flashing "you are here" mark, but does show certain memorable landmarks, forcing you to map read to reach your objective.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm amazed that this thread hasn't had more interest since Styx has been on PS+.

I've just finished the chapter called Akenash's Atrium and I think I've learnt most of the game's idiocyncracies.

It's a very odd game, and certain aspects are incredibly janky and poorly explained (the save system is awful) but it's surprisingly well written and the game itself works very well.

Well worth giving a shot. Just save often (manually).

• 2 months later...

Anyone had any trouble getting this to run on PC? A few seconds after launching the game (after the splashscreen has appeared) I get a hissing sound then the .EXE crashes.

I've followed instructions on the net to repair the runtime files, and have tried launching in safe mode but no luck :(

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying this. It's very rough around the edges - and it surprises me there is not one patch available for PS4 - but also very enjoyable. Little handholding, good stealth, multiple paths. Looking forward to the sequel.

• 11 months later...

I finally got around to starting this since installing it when it was free with Gold months ago and I'm also really enjoying it. It's packed full of character and humour and reminds me quite a bit of the Terry Pratchett Discworld novels for some reason which is always a good thing (apart from all the swear words; I had a good laugh when a guard glimpsed me and said "What... THE FUCK... was that?" very realistically).

Anyway, if anyone is in two minds about giving this a go I'd heartily recommend jumping in. I actually persevered through completing TRON:Evolution just before starting and this is so much better it restores my faith in Games with Gold's selections, cracking stuff! ^_^