rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Don't Die Mr Robot - Switch version coming soon

There's a new indie game coming out next week on Vita that all you zone gaming score attack guys are going to want to check out. Disclaimer. I'm friends with one of the two man development team but I didn't plan on making a thread unless I actually liked the game. Spoilers. I did. The gentleman Barry Island kindly gave me a code for it and I've just started playing. Fuck me it's good.

You play a robot (Mr Robot) in an arena and your job is not to die. You do this by avoiding or killing enemies. You kill enemies by picking up fruit. Fruit explodes when you pick it up and you can do some nice chains for bonus points. One life.

Full honesty here. I was worried about this game. From the videos and screenshots I've seen of it through development I thought it looked like it lacked something. It turns out videos and screenshots do not do it justice. The game looks lovely and razor sharp on the Vita screen. Music and sound design is excellent (Headphones are recommended).

It was a bit confusing to start with since it only had remix mode open and I didn't know why. That appears to be the tutorial and once you play through two levels of that (One to teach dodging and one to teach killing) everything else opens up.

There's a blog post up at Sony

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/10/21/arcade-dodge-em-dont-die-mr-robot-hits-ps-vita-month/?adbid=524576735082201088&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785&emcid=social_20141021_34130647

http://infinitestategames.com/

I'm trying to find out how much it'll be but not much is what I understand. I'll see if I can find out in the morning.

Starting to figure out how to make good chains now. You have to build up as much fruit on the screen as possible before you detonate. Each fruit that explodes increases the score multiplier. It also seems to have powerups that you buy with coins you earn in the levels. Shield, speed, magnet explosion size.

156k so far. From what I'd seen during development I honestly did not think I would like this anywhere as near as much as I do. I'm noticing loads of nice effects in the background. I really hope they do well out of this one. I'm actually annoyed with myself for accepting a code now. They deserve my money. Ah well. The cunt never gave me my PSP battery back anyway :)

So it's like that Geomentry Wars mode, but with a Pac-Man retro twist ;)

Blimey, that video is so fast you can't tell what is going on.

If you mean pacifist mode then sortof. You still need to kill things to score. The powerups seem to last per game (But are pretty cheap) and really help. I wonder if they'll patch in a hardcore leaderboard for no powerup runs.

While it looks solidly retro and "pixelly" in the vids it actually isn't. I can't really describe it but is sharp and clear.

The soundtrack is up on Bandcamp if anyone fancies a listen

http://barryisland.bandcamp.com/album/dont-die-mr-robot-soundtrack

I don't think the video sells it at all. I know Barry has been giving out codes to some Youtubers in the hope they'll like it enough to review it. It feels like a classic zone game like the kind Jeff Minter would do. Pure.

I think he'd like that. Check your PMs. He's actually been having trouble getting game sites interested in covering it. As I said I don't think the videos and screenshots sell it. It looks very different on a Vita screen running at the correct frame rate.

In all honesty you think it will be a bit naff because the visual style is very basic, but by golly it works. It feels exactly like GeoWars pacifist mode where you go through the gates to kill the enemies.

This is living proof of GamerGate ethicsinjournalismcorruption!, you're gonna get doxxed!

Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help I'm being repressed!

This is living proof of GamerGate ethicsinjournalismcorruption!, you're gonna get doxxed!

Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help I'm being repressed!

What.

What.

Just me being silly that someone put up some info about a game a friend made, much like what apparently all the GG nonsense is about and nothing to do with being dicks towards women. Then I put in a quote from Holy Grail as it comes from an equally paranoid character in that...

Sorry, game does look fun, I'll give it a whirl.

No I know, this has all gone a bit wrong.... was just a tiny throwaway little gag, I know it's not remotely the same but that was also kind of why I did it, after seeing the GG lot misunderstanding the onion piece, logic isn't relevant.

Apologies for the derail, as you were :)

I'm reviewing it and I let him fuck me for 1 point Extra.

What the fool didn't realise is that I liked it anyway and he really didn't have to. Hahaha

But you like everything as long as you get it sent for free, Brad.

I tend to like the stuff I buy more though. As I kind of have to justify the cost to myself.

Reminder. This is out tomorrow. I sat down for a quick couple of goes. Ended up beating my high score by about 85k. About an hour later I've just put it down. I'm not really that good generally at arcade score chasers but I can feel myself getting better and better at this one.

So, noting that there's been no mention of this on the PS Blog I added a comment to the page it did get the other week which then disappeared after it said "post is awaiting moderation". I only questioned why there's been no advertising for it given they forgot it last week and that theoretically it should be out tomorrow. Either my post will turn up (I snuck in another positive response to see if things were working) or it's a massive conspiracy! Or plain incompetence. Or something.