IGNORED

Return of the Obra Dinn

TheSlugFormerlyKnownAsNap

5 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I thought I’d read you could see bios and backstories of all the characters at the end of the game but I couldn’t see this option. Am I mistaken?

You are mistaken, sadly. All you get is

Spoiler

the insurance listing when you get off the boat, which just says what each crew member's crime/gallantry was and their penalty/reward.

10 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I would love to have my memory of this game erased so I could play it all over again. I think I would still remember too much of it right now. 

I’ve finished it twice, and feel like playing it again after these latest posts. While you remember some of the methods for discovering the identities, and it’s easier than the first time you played it, it still feels fresh enough on a second play through. I gave it a good couple of years though.

45 down now and the first four chapters clear…

Spoiler

Finally spotted who had a pipe! 

Not sure what the trick is with the Chinese top men… definitely need to look at their stories more deeply

Aaand all fates solved aside from the hidden chapter. Hoping there’s a nice weird surprise to finish. This has been brilliant. 

Edit. Done. This will be going in the GOTY section B for sure. Astonishing

So picked this up yesterday....not entirely sure why but I've been really enjoying it and I'm glad I went in fairly blind as the way it went was quite a suprise, and the subsequent reveals were pretty cool in an "I didnt expect that at all".

Spoiler

So as early as the second part being revealed....and theres a giant freakin kraken/squid thing wrecking shit!! Then a bit later and theres some freaky spider things attacking people with horrible huge spindly legs and spiking people?? And wait....there are things riding the fuckers?

Some of this is pretty messed up and the way it reveals everything is really well done.  I wasnt getting that many fates, but I wanted to keep going just to see what happened, and how this all came about.  Also, the way that you only hear whats happening (with silent movie style text cards as well) is really scene setting, and some of the noises are genuinely pretty nasty sounding.  It really sells the horror of some of the events that happened.

I have played most of it now and ended up watching a video that summed up things pretty well of why it works, which is that a lot of detective games dont really allow you do deduce much, because they script the answers, show you what evidence you need in each scene, which means you're almost always suggesting what the game allows you to and can often lead you to the answer that you wouldnt have otherwise suggested.  The CSI games were almost always click on everything in the scene, then process any "evidence" and select the right multiple choice answer occasionally.  By allowing you as much freedom in your answers here, theres a much greater need to deduct things rather than slowly doing tasks till you get the answer the game wants to lead you to.

I completed this yesterday, after picking it up based on recommendations in this thread. It's clearly an incredible achievement - not necessarily for the complex interweaving of the various murder mysteries, but for giving the player the tools to work out the answers with a solid user interface and simple controls. There's plenty of extremely smart people out there that could build the murder mystery part, but the combination of the notebook, name list, images and all the rest is really inspired. 

The personal downside for me is essentially the total lack of hand-holding. It's a deliberate feature of the game and the genre, especially given in this game you're sometimes essentially trying to 'defeat' the developer who is trying to mislead you on some of the more ambiguous fates. I'll never be a detective for sure - getting them all took me a while, though partly due to the below. 

For me (not being immersed in the genre at all) that lack of hand-holding meant I missed a critical set of information that led to me brute-forcing the last few fates. For anyone working on the last few fates, I'll put what I missed in the first spoiler below without saying why it's important (with the second spoiler being very spoilery!)

Spoiler

The sailors are in their bunks in both Part 2.1 and in Part 7.2.

I think if I played a few of this kind of murder mystery game I'd be aware of things a bit more and pay attention in the right places - whereas to begin with I was treating it as a narrative and not a tableau of clues.  

Spoiler

I only found the bunks in Part 2.1 - clearly because I wasn't paying enough attention; in Part 7 they even say "the whole ship will be up!" in the memories implying that everyone's in bed. 

I was able to sort out quite a lot with those bunks - the Russians, the guy with his arm hanging out who has a tattoo of a woman, the Chinese topman with stripy socks. 

But I wanted to cross-reference who was still alive later on using their bunks, but because I didn't go back through all the memories to find out when they were accessible I just brute-forced the final few. It's definitely on me, but it's a very unforgiving game in that respect which I'm not sure I'm hard enough for. 

I was also surprised that the "Bargain" didn't involve any human sacrifice. What a let-down :D 

I finished this a few days ago, and although the game itself is utterly fantastic, I can't help being slightly disappointed by the conclusion:

Spoiler

A few people getting fined for murder felt off.

The Captain didn't do anything wrong, as far as I can tell. The 'murders' he committed were during an attempted mutiny when the other crew were trying to kill him. Similarly, the guy who accidentally shot the already-dying fella through the bulkhead in the port walk shouldn't be classed as murder.

There were a couple more I can't recall right now, but if I were actually an insurance assessor I'd be arguing the EIC's report.

For me the only flaw is that it’s a bit of a pain in the arse finding bodies to play the snippets again. I get why, otherwise once you’ve found them all the game would just turn into selecting things from a menu, but some that are closely linked and require cross-referencing can be quite far apart. Not sure what the best solution would be for that.

Picked this up a few days ago and finished it last night. As many others have mentioned - brilliant game. The art style, music, atmosphere etc. are all fantastic and really enjoyed the sleuthing overall (some gripes with naming the lesser-titled folks aside).

I had heard about it but never really more than ‘this is great/Papers Please dude’, so it was really nice to be able to go in with basically zero expectations or knowledge other than that. Would definitely welcome some sort of sequel or similar romp (the former preferably as the setting really was a big component of what made it great). Yes there are some QoL issues that could be addressed but otherwise, loved it.

Oh and something I really wished they’d done is some sort of animation piecing all of the chapters together at the end - would have been the cherry on the cake. Obviously a lot more work, though.

On 08/01/2022 at 18:59, Sureshot said:

Oh and something I really wished they’d done is some sort of animation piecing all of the chapters together at the end - would have been the cherry on the cake. Obviously a lot more work, though.

I would've loved this.

On 06/01/2022 at 12:45, Scribblor said:

I finished this a few days ago, and although the game itself is utterly fantastic, I can't help being slightly disappointed by the conclusion:

Hide contents

A few people getting fined for murder felt off.

The Captain didn't do anything wrong, as far as I can tell. The 'murders' he committed were during an attempted mutiny when the other crew were trying to kill him. Similarly, the guy who accidentally shot the already-dying fella through the bulkhead in the port walk shouldn't be classed as murder.

There were a couple more I can't recall right now, but if I were actually an insurance assessor I'd be arguing the EIC's report.

I think the point is 

Spoiler

the public will never really know the truth of what happened on the Obra Dinn, the captain will go down in history as a bad captain and killer, rather than the tragic hero that he was.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

After playing this through at Christmas, I ordered this which has just arrived…

A8AF845A-0395-4D89-9C87-619B4E88A93E.thumb.jpeg.d6343e8f88128c7ab9db88a1bd9bbb47.jpeg
262BEFDC-C2A5-4D6E-8544-8431CDB7D14A.thumb.jpeg.986dda643664f1967a1dccff764017aa.jpeg

5BB62C79-E8DB-444E-96C1-A2104C874B64.thumb.jpeg.4f7c5bbd6aa6d7a61b72a804e412feb1.jpeg

Really well made, and also came with a couple of fold out inserts of the map and the drawings of life onboard. 

That is amazing. Are you going to actually make notes in it? 

• 1 month later...

That book is amazing. Would buy it if it weren't sold out. I think I know the DS print that Jamie is talking about, it's also great, but a bit too long for where I'd put it.

I'd love a good Sekiro print, but can't find a good one. This is a decent wallpaper, but wouldn't put it on the wall:

poNvNWo.png

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

That's well cool @Bushtopher. Shame the book is now sold out!

Which DS print do you have? Is it the vertical one where all the areas are sort of stacked on top of each other?

Yup, that’s the one….

F2C46D85-8E84-43DA-8B9C-B24124309A48.thumb.jpeg.be3936fc00b3f56825e755125df84c3c.jpeg

Think this was the medium size.

1 minute ago, Bushtopher said:

Yup, that’s the one….

F2C46D85-8E84-43DA-8B9C-B24124309A48.thumb.jpeg.be3936fc00b3f56825e755125df84c3c.jpeg

Think this was the medium size.

Schweet. I've been meaning to get it myself. Not to derail the thread, but where did you buy it? I've seen them on import sites but if prefer something more local.

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Schweet. I've been meaning to get it myself. Not to derail the thread, but where did you buy it? I've seen them on import sites but if prefer something more local.

I’ve just had a look and it turns out I got it from Fangamer - same place I got the Obra Dinn book. Hadn’t made the conndd we cation previously. Should probably avoid browsing that site further in case I see other stuff I want to buy. 

Link: https://www.fangamer.com/products/laudate-solis?