Return of the Obra Dinn

20 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

In relation to that, figuring out who is the person you initially thought them to be can involve some really nice attention to detail and looking for extra pieces of information in supposedly unrelated scenes.

I figured that one out by:

Spoiler

Seeing him standing near the bosun in a couple of scenes - dragging off the guy who cut off that guy's leg, and following the Bosun with a gun in Soldiers of the Sea. I also looked at his shirt and thought it looked quite French.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I figured that one out by:

Reveal hidden contents

Seeing him standing near the bosun in a couple of scenes - dragging off the guy who cut off that guy's leg, and following the Bosun with a gun in Soldiers of the Sea. I also looked at his shirt and thought it looked quite French.

Also:

Spoiler

In the scene where the Bosun is mortally wounded - battling side-by-side.

6 hours ago, smac said:

Also:

Hide contents

In the scene where the Bosun is mortally wounded - battling side-by-side.

I love how many quests there are to solve this game. I got it a completely different way.

Spoiler

I got it because he’s french and shouts ‘En deamon!’ during one of the attacks and he was one of the only ones in the scene I wasn’t pretty sure of.

I think I’ve only got 6 (possibly 9) left, but I feel very stuck. Two of them have uncertain deaths, the rest of them I’m fairly sure about, but can’t get a triplet to validate. 

I have three guys who I think are Chinese, but only two Chinese people left. :wacko:

Finished it now. 

Spoiler

The guys who fell overboard, mainly. I wasn’t sure if they drowned or got crushed, or even if they somehow survived. 

Also the guy behind the gunner - he disappears in the chapter he actually dies in, so I wasn’t sure if he’d been blasted or fell out the window. 

And that Hamadou guy does not look like he’s from Sierra Leone to me.

Anyway, what a game. I think it ran out a bit of puff at the end as there’s a couple of people who you essentially just need to brute force, I think. There’s no way to tell which of a few characters is which, except for trying different combinations, for example.

Re: the ending-

Spoiler

Chapter 8 was also a slight letdown, I think. It didn’t really add anything to the plot, as you’ve pretty much figured most of it out, anyway. 

Still, absolutely brilliant. 

Re ending:

Spoiler

I was initially disappointed by the ending too. I didn't completely appreciate its purpose until the GMTK video and that Lucas Pope quote about how the abnormally high number of deaths in one place needs some kind of general explanation. I hadn't really questioned that! Everyone needs to die so that the game can happen, I just kinda accepted it.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Finished it now. 

Hide contents

The guys who fell overboard, mainly. I wasn’t sure if they drowned or got crushed, or even if they somehow survived. 

Also the guy behind the gunner - he disappears in the chapter he actually dies in, so I wasn’t sure if he’d been blasted or fell out the window. 

And that Hamadou guy does not look like he’s from Sierra Leone to me.

Anyway, what a game. I think it ran out a bit of puff at the end as there’s a couple of people who you essentially just need to brute force, I think. There’s no way to tell which of a few characters is which, except for trying different combinations, for example.

Re: the ending-

Hide contents

Chapter 8 was also a slight letdown, I think. It didn’t really add anything to the plot, as you’ve pretty much figured most of it out, anyway. 

Still, absolutely brilliant. 

There's a couple I took punts on, but my understanding is there's actually nothing you need to brute force at all.

I had one of the Topmen

Spoiler

Nicholas Topperil

who had one triangle mark for a fair bit of the game but i couldn’t see the obvious clue I was missing from the memories he appears in. He ended up being one of the last guys I identified and only managed it by 

Spoiler

Bunk numbers and comparison of footwear/leggings between him and the other non-Chinese Topman/seaman I had left to find.

Didn’t seem like a 1 triangle so there must have been something easier I completely overlooked.

I'm pretty sure he was one of my first solutions, possibly the first after the initial trio. I spotted him because

Spoiler

he's named in an audio segment that mentions his death, as 'Nick'.

One of the simplest!

I love the concept and presentation of this, though I find the way the compass leads you round the ship to be confusing. 

For some reason I am also finding it really challenging to get anywhere. We've done the first bunch if ID's but am struggling to hit a flow that leads us to find more. 

12 hours ago, therearerules said:

There's a couple I took punts on, but my understanding is there's actually nothing you need to brute force at all.

Yep. I had a look at the wiki and the two I was struggling with do indeed have (quite obscure) clues which allow you to deduce who they are.

I expect there will not be a sequel, but I'd love to see more of this kind of game.

Rattled through a bunch pretty quickly last night and I've got about 5 characters left and I'm really really stumped 

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the bald guy with the stripy shirt last seen in The Doom fighting a tentacle with a pointed stick is the Bosun's mate - but it's just not clicking.  I feel as though I'm brute forcing a wee bit... I've got the two stewards down as the guys with the kind of apron thing.  One gets shot by the Bosun's mate during the fight with the spider crab demons... but again, nothing clicking through.  I must've got something wrong.

Have you got

Spoiler

all of the stewards? There's one for each of the officers, then there's a ship's steward listed slightly apart from the main bunch. Maybe swap the names of the two stewards you have, as well.

Maybe you have a fate wrong, too.

Left it for a few days

I now have nothing left to do on the Obra Dinn!!

Spoiler

Turns out I’d had the same fate for two remaining Chinese guys. Twiddled that till it worked. Finding the Bosun’s mate was the key for me. The remaining few I kinda brute forced. I’ve no idea how you manage to work out Hanadou Dion or Alexander Booth any other way.

So, someone, in some other thread, recommended this as a game to play co-op.

I bought it at release, and loved it, but wasn't in a place to give it the thought it needed (new born baby ahoy), but me and my wife have had an absolutely delightful series of nights playing it together. 

We are at 39 fates solved, but starting over to pay attention to when faces stop being blurry to work on the final solutions. (and secretly just to delay it some more).

It really scratches the same itch as watching some great tv together. 

I bought this last night, as it's on sale on PS4. Really enjoying it, albeit pretty overwhelmed by the UI and the constant (and occasionally mandatory) jumps in and out of the past.

Daft question - I've been rampaging through the ship, opening up new scenes and finding corpses without doing much detection. Is it worth sticking with a particular chapter and trying to figure it out as much as possible, or is it worth opening the game up as much as possible? Or will that be information overload? I've solved at least six fates so far, and I think have gotten as far back as Chapter V.

You can go back through every scene as often as you like. It can get tricky remembering how to track through the entire chapter in the right order as you stack up bodies on deck.  Make a note of the first corpse you use the watch with in order to start a new chapter.

I preferred trying to solve as much as I could, specifically looking for incidental detail away from the initial focus of the action in each scene. Get as familiar as I could with the action before moving on.

Having got to 12 or 15 fates solved a few weeks ago, and unlocked all the chapters, I got out of the habit of playing this. I fired it up again last night and had completely forgotten where everything was, then I remembered that the old geezer in the rowing boat had told me he was ready to go when I was. So off I went. I wasn't sure what I expected to happen next but it definitely wasn't what eventually did.

Spoiler

I assume all the scenes played out as they would if I'd solved all the fates, except the very last - "one year later" I got a letter from someone saying that the chap I'd sent the book to had sadly died - he was already ill and receiving his book in such an incomplete state pushed him over the edge. Basically I killed him by slacking off. His last words were an expression of regret that he'd ever entrusted the task to me. The letter ends "We thought you should know."

:lol:

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Was wondering what kind of game this is as someone mentioned playing through it with their wife and I thought mine might like doing that too, is it co op gameplay? 

It's a great co-op game if you're both into detective work, and one of you isn't so keen on controls.

I've hammered this over the past couple of days and just got all the fates solved in 8hrs 50 mins. Brilliant game. This and The Outer Wilds are rare shining beacons on the 'giving the player enough credit to allow them to feel like they're figuring things out on their own' front. At times it did feel a bit brute force-y but you generally get to the point where that's possible through juggling a complex process of elimination largely in your head so even when it was that way it still managed to be satisfying.

I can see why so many either bounced off it or came close though, I guess there'll be a bit of variance depending on the order you go but details feel very thin on the ground for a fair while after the first couple you get. After my first correct three I didn't even hear another name for about two hours and was really wondering if I was doing something wrong, then suddenly they all started falling and I had thirty-three done before seeing all the available memories. Weird pacing maybe but all things considered it's a miracle it works as well as it does.

Also, the ending:

Spoiler

was a bit anticlimactic, I thought there'd be some sort of twist or at least a bit of a revelation but if there was it went totally over my head.

On 20/10/2020 at 13:50, Made of Ghosts said:

I'm semi-convinced the whole game came about because Lucas Pope couldn't be bothered to do any animation.

Ha, I don't know about 'couldn't be bothered' but I've wondered a few times how much the creativity of this was borne from limitation and if the idea came from not having the budget to animate everything or if it was conceived that way from the start. The same with the look of it too I guess, I'm not sure there's any reason for the aesthetic really other than maybe 'texturing everything is expensive so let's work around that in a cool way'.