IGNORED

Just Cause 3

gospvg

On 09/08/2017 at 16:20, Stanley said:

This is pretty enjoyable it has to be said. A bit rough around the edges for sure (that map) But you can forgive It when there's so much freedom on offer, although once again I'm reminded that post Zelda not being able to climb any surface feels glitchy. 

The tether mechanic and the physics work well, I look forward to messing about with it more. 

Been playing this quite solidly the last couple of days.  This is such fun the freedom it gives and the crazy ways you can play.  I just love the over the top action it provides.  A couple of times I wished there was a movie maker mode which captured the crazy antics. 

Conversely to the above I played a bit of Zelda afterwards and I almost clicked one of the shoulder buttons to use a grapple to scale up the mountain.  For the first time in Zelda I felt weirdly restricted and wondered when I'm going to get the grapple hook like in the previous Zelda's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just having so much fun with this game.  Its probably been my favourite this game I've played this year.  The wing suit is such a fantastic addition to the grapple hook and parachute.  I cannot wait to see what they do with Just Cause 4.  My wishlist would be better destruction physics so every building and object can be flattened or destroyed including deforming the terrain, bigger explosions, the amount of vehicles and toys (weapons), having weather to influence play,  submarines with nukes.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, on the Xbox One S this is a bit of a mess.  Lovely looking game but it does have a tendency for extreme slow down when things start getting exciting.

They got so much right that it is a shame it was released in this condition.  Hopefully we will get a Just Cause 4 at some point.  Frankly a refinement is all that is needed rather than a total overhaul.  The actual gameplay mechanics are pretty good, just sort out the technical issues and spend a bit more time of the location (all the different places are all pretty samey to be honest) and you've got a proper winner. 

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

Frankly a refinement is all that is needed rather than a total overhaul.  The actual gameplay mechanics are pretty good, just sort out the technical issues and spend a bit more time of the location (all the different places are all pretty samey to be honest) and you've got a proper winner. 

With all those explosions, it's one of those games that really benefits from a beefy CPU. An i7 is recommended - that's why the consoles struggle.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Seems alright on my og bone maybe I'm not as sensitive to this as others are though. 

Some people are more critical of JC3 than others, I never had too many problems on the OG PS4 and even managed to platinum it which indicates how "unplayable" it is.  :)

I actually think Just Cause is a bit of a underrated gem. 

Unfortunately when it came out it was a buggy, slow mess and it took a couple of patches to get it better.  Now on Xbox One X it is actually fine to play but I think a lot of good will was lost in the early days and it's reputation never really recovered even though the patches did make sizeable improvements. 

As for the game itself, it is basically an ode to messing around and the creators just want you to have a good time.  It is also a stunningly pretty game really and a shame we've not had a 4K HDR version yet. Multiple tethers is a fun addition, the supply drop situation is much quicker than Just Cause 2 and it has got some bat shit crazy ideas, particularly in the DLC. 

It does have some issues though.  The landscape never becomes memorable and just seems to be the same stock scenery everywhere you go.  Somehow the island on Just Cause 2 was much better with a proper city to explore and a big airport along with all the other landscapes they had.  Just Cause 3 is just a bland of nothingness really.  The actual combat is good in its own way but you are almost too overpowered.  Some of the best GTA moments are when you are legging it from the Police and really feel like you've about to get taken down at any moment.  Here you never feel threatened by the enemy and it takes a long time to really get the threat level elevated and then it disappears far too quickly as well. The actual missions too aren't terribly exciting or innovative. It is much more fun just bombing about the place blowing things up than actually progressing with the story line. Finally, I think a lack of multiplayer is finally hurting the series.  I enjoy one player games but a co-op mode or a multiplayer mode where you can come across other players on the island would have given the game a bit more longevity and could have been good fun. 

Still, a really fun game most of the time but it could have been much more.  They nail the foundations of the game but fall a bit short on the nuances which would have made it a classic. 

• 4 months later...

Finally approaching the end of this after getting massively distracted in a 'gotta liberate 'em all' quest. I haven't really bothered with a lot of the challenges as most of the available bonuses don't really seem to add much, but gradually working my way around the map has been a joy, the grapple/para/wingsuit combo is genius and I will never ever get tired of blowing up petrol stations. The towns and outposts themselves are a little samey (although I loved the quarries introduced towards the end) but you are given so much freedom in terms of how to approach taking them down it's hard to get bored.

The missions themselves so far have understandably suffered in comparison as they are often a bit more linear - they are easier to fail if you try and improvise. The story is rather rambling and the characters are barely sketched out, but it's hard to hate such a fun game. I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea but I am really glad stuff like this is still being made.

Yeah I picked it up with the expansions cheap in a sale a while back and had an absolute blast with it, loved taking out the towns and outposts and messing around within the game world. There were a couple of missions that were a bit annoying, mostly the protect ones but other than that it was so much fun,

The lightning gun was a favourite of mine as it was hugely overpowered, and the bavarium wingsuit made getting around so much quicker.

• 1 year later...

had a fantastic time rattling through this the last week or so. Considering it's built around chaos and destruction it's proper chill-out fun.

Some stand-outs:

* the music (especially the piece for the wingsuit challenges) is really nice

* the wingsuit itself being a joy to use, especially once you unlock the reel-in speed boost.

* the devs have been good about unlockables and not having to 5-star every single challenge to get them. 

* flying kicking nuns

Anyhoo, I was going to get the DLC season pass but it's £13 and the XXL Edition of the game is only £5.99 in the current PSN sale. What are the chances the saves between that version and the PS+ version aren't compatible?

Edit, NVM, you can’t buy the XXL edition if you own it from ps+ but the season pass is down to 3 quid

• 11 months later...

Just started this again and having much fun blowing up small Mediterranean towns. Seems to run really well on my Series S too. 

I made sure to unlock the Bavarium Wing Suit as early as I could to make getting around a lot easier.