IGNORED

Master System Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

55 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yeah, I didn't include that or Dragon's Trap as although they're platformers they're more adventurey

Monster Land is less adventurey, although it's got some RPG elements to it. The game is still fairly linear and you can tell it was originally a coin op.

• 3 months later...

Well, I finally got round to playing Penguin Land, and... it's fucking shit.

Or I am.

Am I missing something? It seems way too hard, sometimes stepping on your egg breaks it and other times it doesn't (and there's seemingly no way of telling which). You also only seem to be able to break blocks diagonally down-left or down-right of you, making it far too easy to end up in an impossible situation.

In other news, I played and completed Running Battle. Oh my.

It's been a long time since I played the game, but I think standing on your egg only cracks it if there's nowhere for it to roll to, e.g. (egg!) it's in a single square hole. Dropping the egg only breaks it if it falls past the flashing depth-carat thing. The diagonals-only thing sounds right, though.

I remember it being hard, but good.

Just wanted to say - I frigging love the Master System. I have over 50 physical games (including some Brazilian ones) and can't help but get all wistful when I think back at memories of playing them back in the day. Funnily enough, I didn't actually own one until the early 2000s, but played them a ton at friends'/relatives' places prior to that. The Mega Drive (which I did own growing up) still pips it for me overall, but it was definitely a fantastic system.

I'm planning on going back and giving the catalogue the once-over during the Christmas period, so may post some thoughts up here then!

Oh yeah, and I still laugh when I remember that - back in the day - someone told me you could play SMS carts on the BBC by plugging them into the RAM slots, but I (probably luckily) never owned any to actually try it out. Good times.

• 1 year later...

I'm getting the band back together.

*imagine a picture of Phantasy Star 1 here because posting pictures on the forum from mobile without Tapatalk is apparently impossible*

Put about an hour in last night - playing the SMS Power translation on my JP MD2 with a Mega Everdrive X7 providing FM sound, all through my Framemeister. It's bloody great! Never played on real hardware with FM before. 

I even used a real SMS pad for authenticity, but TBH the D-Pad is so bad that I think I'll revert to my usual weapon of choice (JP Mega Drive 6-button pad). 

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

To post images you just tap "click to choose files", same as on a desktop.

IMG_7870.thumb.JPG.45d1d5c559eae2b314ed52958a3560c3.JPG

Like that.

Then get a message saying it's limited to 2mb, when all iPhone photos are considerably heftier than that.

Tapatalk just worked. I can't use Photobucket anymore, and OneDrive links don't work as image links on this forum.

46 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Then get a message saying it's limited to 2mb, when all iPhone photos are considerably heftier than that.

Tapatalk just worked. I can't use Photobucket anymore, and OneDrive links don't work as image links on this forum.

That's an iPhone photo.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

That's an iPhone photo.

A crop, presumably? The photo I'm trying to upload is an uncropped, square iPhone 6S image, which seems to be 6Mb+. Tapatalk would just automatically resize them, and everyone was happy. Guess I'll have to find an image resizing app. Grumble grumble, cheese moved etc. The mobile view of the new forum is merely OK, not as good as Xenoforo or Tapatalk.

2 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

A crop, presumably? The photo I'm trying to upload is an uncropped, square iPhone 6S image, which seems to be 6Mb+. Tapatalk would just automatically resize them, and everyone was happy. Guess I'll have to find an image resizing app. Grumble grumble, cheese moved etc. The mobile view of the new forum is merely OK, not as good as Xenoforo or Tapatalk.

Ah, yes. Hadn't realised at the time but it is cropped, yes.

59 minutes ago, SeanR said:

be honest, a cheap R-Type on the master system, should I bother if I have the PC engine version, and have played it on nearly every home system it's ever been released on*?

* MSX and sharp 68000 be damned! PC-8801 neither...

Yes. I loved it to bits as a kid, it's no Enduro Racer though.

R-Type on the Master System is still essential even if you have access to the PC Engine version, for the following reasons:

- It's a stunning port with its own personality

- It was developed by Compile. Everyone needs more 8/16 bit Compile in their lives

- It's FM arrangements are probably the finest versions of R-Type music anywhere

- It has a secret extra level and full sound test

- A Master System collection without R-Type is a sad thing indeed

8 minutes ago, SeanR said:

but the SMS version of enduro racer isn't anything like the version I grew up playing

Nope, but it's better than the arcade version, which is definitely the runt of the super-scaler litter. By turning it into a completely different game, they made something lovely.

Play the Japanese version though, the western release was literally cut in half (half the ROM size, half the levels).

5 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I can't help but think I got a cart only enduro race the other month... back in a mo.

Takes real skill to get the insane higher speeds, press down just as you hit the bottom of a ramp. Try to chain them repeatedly... prepare to be blown away by some amazing speed especially when you upgrade the engine 8-)

ok, r-type and enduro racer (boxed) on the way. I was contemplating a  master everdrive, but... well, you know. Piracy and stuff...

It's not even my master system. She'll know I've added games to the collection, as she only had 3 or 4 to start with.

14 minutes ago, SeanR said:

ok, r-type and enduro racer (boxed) on the way. I was contemplating a  master everdrive, but... well, you know. Piracy and stuff...

It's not even my master system. She'll know I've added games to the collection, as she only had 3 or 4 to start with.

Go for an everdrive, awesome bit of kit... plus it lets you play the full Japanese version of Enduro Racer (Pal was a budget rerelease with half the tracks cut!).

9 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Are you turning off live photo on the picture you want to use before trying to upload? I've never used Tapatalk on my 6S but have managed to upload and post pics.