Master System Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, Alexlotl said:

Before you know it, you'll be paying five hundred quid for a Smurfs game.

Those have french covers, but are on my UK release list.

Do we know for a fact they got UK releases? I'm also suspicious of Buggy Run for which I can only ever see Portuguese ones.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Those have french covers, but are on my UK release list.

Do we know for a fact they got UK releases? I'm also suspicious of Buggy Run for which I can only ever see Portuguese ones.

No Smurfs didn't. Good place to confirm things like this is here and on their forum

Another bump for the collection but one I've been waiting to get my hands on for months. I'd never played any of the other Alex Kidd games before I managed to pick this from the shelf in Toys R Us many a moon ago. I have very distinct memories of being addicted to trying to complete it and when I'd finally done it constantly going back to finish it in an early time. The whole game is very strange and a mix of platform/explorer. The manual spins a crazy tale about it being the future but beyond the mention of the Sega arcade there isn't much tech seen beyond the odd bit of text and its a pure historical set game. 

Sega were always trying to out and out copy Nintendo back then so I always felt like this was their version of Zelda 2. It's not by far but something that always stuck with me for years. I was surprised to see the title screen of 1989 because I thought I'd got my hands on it years before, was only 9 years old so no surprise it's a bit of a jumbled mess in my head. But I thanks to the crazy number of replays I can still see every section and not very long after I was well on my way into the second level. I always had a fondness for this that not many appreciated over the years with it feeling like a proper world to explore so I think it will be sat in the system for a fair while.

Its riddled with some very unfair sections and the one life rule is a pain on the first level. Just going the wrong way can give you a restart but luckily the castle area isn't too big once you know your way around. It's put me in the mood for some Shinobi World next and I've got a big trip planned to a retro gaming store tomorrow so fingers crossed I can find a copy.

IMG_20200912_213752171.jpgIMG_20200916_104653306.jpgIMG_20200916_104840012.jpgIMG_20200916_105010107.jpgIMG_20200916_105355767.jpg

Wasn't that one originally an Anime tie-in on the Mark III in Japan, but got turned into an Alex Kidd game for the west? I've never played it, the Alex Kidd series kind of passed me by (although I did play a few bits of built-in Miracle World on friend's SMSes).

Was going through the  homebrew list on the smspower site and came across Heroes Against Demons. It's a simple Puzzle Quest style puzzler but its ssoo addictive. I can make it all the way to the fifth enemy but it becomes so difficult. Not the fault of the game I just need to get better :lol: Stuff like this I'd love to own on a cart rather than load it from my SD card. Always on the look out for places that sell decent homebrew conversions.

This is all being played and my lovely new (well off eBay) 32" Samsung HDMI TV. Got all the right ports on the back and I think they make some of the best gaming flat screens going for a cheap price.

135-142/ now 267...

Still not hitting the ones that go for measureable money though, although I got very lucky on one of the very few the didn't see the UK last night by spotting it being listed.

2020-09-17_16_06_38.jpg

2020-09-15_11_05_11.jpg

11 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Still not hitting the ones that go for measureable money though, although I got very lucky on one of the very few the didn't see the UK last night by spotting it being listed.

Enduro Racer Limited edition?

I'm certainly not super sorry I don't have to get hold of that one.

Really this and King's Quest are the only two I want and the 2nd one of those is because it's an incredibly unique version of a game of my childhood.

But King's Quest goes for fairly silly money so I doubt I ever will.  

image.png.c782c2120a15c90cd2efd9119c6c040c.png

Just won this for £38 +£10 shipping! Looking forward to it's arrival now and really want to pick up a card game at some point, will have to have a look to see what came out and is worth it. Looking at auctions im actually surprised how many of the big mega drive titles actually came out on this with whats actually really good aproxmiations considering the fan base size and the tech specs.

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

Just won this for £38 +£10 shipping! Looking forward to it's arrival now and really want to pick up a card game at some point, will have to have a look to see what came out and is worth it.

Enduro Racer should be on the top of your list.

3 hours ago, Ketchup said:

im actually surprised how many of the big mega drive titles actually came out on this with whats actually really good aproxmiations considering the fan base size and the tech specs.

Just noticed you've got one there that is if anything higher rated than the SMD version in Castle of Illusion.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's not the pureists choice but a mega drive controller, ideally a new Retrobit one should probably be close behind...

What's built into that one?

TBH im not totally sure but i think its the light gun safari game?

4 hours ago, Ketchup said:

TBH im not totally sure but i think its the light gun safari game?

Yeah if its got Safari Hunt its got Hang On.

Which is a really good version.

And on some like that if you hold up 1 and 2 when you turn it on and keep it held down you get the snail maze game from the original sms1s too.

That's the chap.

I've got one of those but it's my Alex Kidd one plugged in right now because quite frankly there's more of that model available if it breaks, although I obviously used my series 1 "no built in game" version for the video last week about Snail Maze.