Master System Appreciation Thread

32 minutes ago, RastanSaga said:

I'll give impressions....I've seen you mention it lots....I'm excited about it :)

It'll be tough at first, just remember to tap down when you hit the base of those ramps repeatedly and watch the speed begin to build! Bliss.

11 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

Weirdly enough perhaps the last new-to-me SMS game I recall being legitimately impressed by was Renegade - a game @Lorfarius found pretty naff (which I found incredibly amusing). I'm not sure what my problem is as over time I've loved engaging with a tonne of undiscovered games on other retro systems. It's like the SMS is specifically a nostalgia box.

Maybe choosing to play SMS on a Mega Drive via a flashcart these days is something to do with it..I don't know.

Regardless I love how this thread lives on and is frequented by passionate collectors.

Thanks for indulging my ramble.

My preference will always be the NES but once I fire up a few games I can never seem to put them down.  None of the other systems have the same effect, I mostly put it down to Enduro Racer.

11 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

It'll be tough at first, just remember to tap down when you hit the base of those ramps repeatedly and watch the speed begin to build! Bliss.

I played the arcade game in the 80's but not as much as hang on. My memory is pretty vague...I'm sure I played an enduro racer on a stand up cab with handle bars...(I might have this wrong)

1 minute ago, RastanSaga said:

I played the arcade game in the 80's but not as much as hang on. My memory is pretty vague...I'm sure I played an enduro racer on a stand up cab with handle bars...(I might have this wrong)

Those were all Hang On style games. This is completely isometric and a different game entirely. Not even sure why they went down this route! Probably because they already had Hang On built in and needed something in a different style.

Pretty sure Enduro Racer had a stand up version (as did Hang On). Glorious games.

I remember begging (sending an email and a tweet to) M2 back around 2014 to consider porting the original Enduro Racer to the 3DS as part of their 3D remasters series.

Unless I'm mistaken it's only Yu Suzuki classic at this point to never have received a perfect port anywhere.

32 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

Maybe choosing to play SMS on a Mega Drive via a flashcart these days is something to do with it..I don't know.

Regardless I love how this thread lives on and is frequented by passionate collectors.

Thanks for indulging my ramble.

I think it is, I'm the same with emulated collections, I rarely play any single thing a lot.  It's one of the reasons I'm enjoying collecting carts, the SMS is currently in a different room to the games and I only have 2 or 3 in there with it at any time.

It's also the reason I'm loving the evercade.

15 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Those were all Hang On style games. This is completely isometric and a different game entirely. Not even sure why they went down this route! Probably because they already had Hang On built in and needed something in a different style.

Off to YouTube now I got my headphones on. Will check it out :)

2 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Pretty sure Enduro Racer had a stand up version (as did Hang On). Glorious games.

I remember begging (sending an email and a tweet to) M2 back around 2014 to consider porting the original Enduro Racer to the 3DS as part of their 3D remasters series.

Unless I'm mistaken it's only Yu Suzuki classic at this point to never have received a perfect port anywhere.

I think I did also play it on a sit-down at Drayton manor...but my memory is hazy....I do remember mad dag and its 12 foot screen! I promised myself at Some point I'll play some of these games on the Sega CD....I get it was new tech and age hasn't been kind to them either. They were ropey to begin with. I'd get  something out of them I'm sure!

I need Virtua racing, thinking of getting it on switch. £4 right now.

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I think it is, I'm the same with emulated collections, I rarely play any single thing a lot.  It's one of the reasons I'm enjoying collecting carts, the SMS is currently in a different room to the games and I only have 2 or 3 in there with it at any time.

It's also the reason I'm loving the evercade.

Yeah I can see this as being something affecting enjoyment now..but I do enjoy playing, usually only one or two games at a time..a lot. Just not much in the way of commercial games that I didn't have as a kid.

I couldn't fathom not having ready access to homebrew, hacks and translations though. I probably play examples of these more than anything else.

If I pulled an SMS out of storage (I have a model 1 & 2) I know for certainty I'd be looking to install a 60hz switch and shelling out for an everdrive..and probably look to trying to eliminate jail bars and get it outputting video as clean and crisp as my model 1 MD. It's a hole I really don't want to get into.

11 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

I need Virtua racing, thinking of getting it on switch. £4 right now.

its been £4 since forever. thats the price i paid in... April

14 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Weirdly enough perhaps the last new-to-me SMS game I recall being legitimately impressed by was Renegade - a game @Lorfarius found pretty naff (

Funny you should mention these things.  One of these arrived this morning from *checks notes* Lorfarius.

1118921290_2020-10-2612_50_21.jpg

I love lost stars! I know It often gets criticized for its simplicity, but that's one of the reasons I find it so endearing.

Anyway....Put that to one side for now as I'm really into asterix....which I'll be playing shortly.

I did pick up a boxed fake Hang On cover for my Sega card. Manual feels a bit tatty so I will probably pick up another eventually, just looks so much better on the shelf in an actual case! The card cases are really thin and different from the standard sizes so really tough to find them.

2.jpg222.jpg

I had a magical session with this last night. Playing this in a tidy sms2 console...on a decent consumer crt, In 2020. Was all kinds of magical.

Going to look at picking up a shoot em up to rotate with my platformers.

Last thing I do want though is too many unfinished games...

With a poor camera and no light in my room/sorry.

IMG_20201028_111652.jpg

I was going to suggest Power Strike II, having enjoyed it a lot on the Game Gear... And just saw how much it goes for now on either system. So glad my mum threw out my Game Gear collection :(

2 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I almost bought Power Stone II a few weeks back.. then common sense kicked in and I bought more games instead :lol:

Power Stone Ii is a beautiful game on the Dreamcast. Capcom magic again.

Can't speak for the releases on Sony..

I used to think Power Strike II on the Game Gear was superior to the SMS game because of the luscious colour palettes and fancy visual effects..but it really isn't. It has virtually no challenge (even on harder difficulty levels) and is kinda ruined by its overpowered weapons.

SMS Power Strike II is crazy good. A masterpiece no less..but it's kinda broken at 60hz, way too fast bordering on unplayable and the music loses a lot of its charm by being unnaturally sped up.

I can't think of any other SMS game that demands play at 50hz like this one. My whole relationship with it changed once I finally played it properly.

Power Strike III will probably be the best looking Game Gear game ever made, judging from the trailer. I'm excited anyway.