Master System Appreciation Thread

9 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I used to think Power Strike II on the Game Gear was superior to the SMS game because of the luscious colour palettes and fancy visual effects..but it really isn't. It has virtually no challenge (even on harder difficulty levels) and is kinda ruined by its overpowered weapons.

SMS Power Strike II is crazy good. A masterpiece no less..but it's kinda broken at 60hz, way too fast bordering on unplayable and the music loses a lot of its charm by being unnaturally sped up.

I can't think of any other SMS game that demands play at 50hz like this one. My whole relationship with it changed once I finally played it properly.

Power Strike III will probably be the best looking Game Gear game ever made, judging from the trailer. I'm excited anyway.

If you have a Mega SG you can reduce the speed on games to PAL.

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

If you have a Mega SG you can reduce the speed on games to PAL.

It's all good. I put switches in my MD so running it at 50hz is no problem. 

Mega SGs are obviously awesome but gaming on a HDTV isn't really for me.

On another note, here's a game I never stopped enjoying: Secret Command. Idiosyncratic commando rip-off on the face of it but runs like a dream, has what I consider some of the best composed music on the system, a nicely ramping difficulty curve and satisfying gameplay.

I don't always get to see the credits but I did today.

I also like how the US version has a proper Rambo licence (which just amounts to some different graphics and an alternate music track), and the Japanese version is basically Hard Mode with some much tougher enemies.

The stages all use varied, bright palettes and the sense of progression is strong with unique cut scenes and enemy types - including my favourite onean urban area populated with cowboys and murderous police of several types (including one kind which continuously chuck grenades from their motorbikes). In prior levels you can gain some explosive arrow stocks by destroying huts housing POWs - but in this one you destroy cop cars and accept arrows as a gift from the houses they're parked in front of. Very cool.

All in all, another great super-early SMS game which does so much more with its 1 Mega Power than it ought to have done. 

Recently picked up this beaut for £60, its often double that with the manual alone so was happy to get it on the cheap. For games like this which are mega books I'm not too bothered about using repro manuals as it's only for me. I've ordered one from the US which had amazing reviews on Etsy and seems to be in the typical gloss/paper you get in the actual games. Cost me around £26 so still better than buying the original! Will take some pics when it turns up.

I remember completing Zelda as a kid around a friends house on his NES (sequel too!) and was disappointed that there wasn't anything like it on the SMS for ages. I saw this in a couple of mags but no matter how hard i tried I just couldn't find it anywhere. Pretty sure I had my mum try to buy it on mail order but they had sold out too. Probably why its so rare today as Sega didn't produce many copies.

IMG_20201022_181550902123.jpg

Ahh, I've always been faintly curious about Golden Axe Warrior. That and Ax Battler being unashamed clones of Zelda I and II respectively always amuses me. Clearly the latter-day Golden Axe games should have gone the same way; had that awful Beast Rider game that came out on PS2 be a Wind Waker clone instead of... whatever it was meant to be.

I'll give it a proper play once the manual arrives. Whenever I played it in the past I always got lost as there's no map.. turns out its just like Zelda and there's one in the manual! Will play it properly!

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

It's no Zelda substitute, it actually came out as the lowest rated game in an issue of Mean Machines but it's not as bad as that.

Excellent Theme tune though.

I recall it wasn't exactly popular back in the day - certainly not as loved as Golvellius - but I'm curious about what makes it an inadequate Zelda clone. Its reputation these days seems to be in decent standing, from what I've gleaned.

22 minutes ago, spanky debrest said:

I recall it wasn't exactly popular back in the day - certainly not as loved as Golvellius - but I'm curious about what makes it an inadequate Zelda clone. Its reputation these days seems to be in decent standing, from what I've gleaned.

Mainly that there's so much less to it.

And it did irritate me that while it didn't respawn monsters, it does place you miles away from where you were when you died, so you just spend the time trekking your way back with no resistance.

As someone who hasn't got around to playing GAW or the original Zelda there are probably things I'd find fairly irritating too, I'd imagine. It feels like a privilege in a way to enjoy the fruits of game design that was strongly influenced by a ground-breaker like the Legend of Zelda without having to endure its rougher edges (full disclosure: I am not a fan of Zelda adventures as a rule of thumb).

Anyway I'm compelled to share a video review of Golden Axe Warrior that I remember enjoying a lot, that might not be a waste of time to watch for someone completely in the dark:

Just completed Alex Kidd The lost stars. I really really enjoyed it.

Not too difficult, but certainly not devoid of challenge.

left to right platformers, without too much collecting or puzzling work with me!

really enjoyable, I'd certainly recommend it for a playthrough.

I'll be starting Shinobi or Asterix again next...

or sonic!

12 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

As someone who hasn't got around to playing GAW or the original Zelda there are probably things I'd find fairly irritating too, I'd imagine. It feels like a privilege in a way to enjoy the fruits of game design that was strongly influenced by a ground-breaker like the Legend of Zelda without having to endure its rougher edges (full disclosure: I am not a fan of Zelda adventures as a rule of thumb).

Anyway I'm compelled to share a video review of Golden Axe Warrior that I remember enjoying a lot, that might not be a waste of time to watch for someone completely in the dark:

Oh yeah, and I was a hell of a lot kinder to it than Mean Machines were.

I will absolutely go as far as saying it's the best Golden Axe game on the Master System.

Rastan is one of my all time fav MS carts, as close as you can get to Enduro Racer. That opening levels theme is glorious and jumping about, hacking n slashing like a loon is always fun. Still not got a copy! :lol:

Ghoul's n Ghosts is pretty good, being a unique take on the game. Levels & bosses are a bit chopped up (lots of portals to step through) and it runs on the slower side - but the main difference is the power up system involving a shop-type item selection menu and linear weapon/armour upgrade paths.

Out of Dudley's latest haul it's nice to see Dragon Crystal. Great game, one of the best that nobody talks about. I've had a some really excellent sessions with it, and it's far superior to the Mega Drive's Fatal Labyrinth (with which it shares DNA with), IMO.

Unfortunately, Thanks to CoVID  (both pay cut and getting that shit) I had to get rid of my most prized games and one was Phantasy Star :( (I also has Psychic World, action fighter and Aztec adventure)

Hello thread, what is a good cable for the Master System 2? I got a boxed system from a charity shop a while back and the RF cable included predictably looks like shite.

Is there a modern solution available?

6 minutes ago, Duckula said:

Hello thread, what is a good cable for the Master System 2? I got a boxed system from a charity shop a while back and the RF cable included predictably looks like shite.

Rgb mod....not sure how complex this is though...

17 minutes ago, Duckula said:

Without modding the system, no.  A good RF cable might be marginally less shite but only marginally I'm afraid.

The SMS1 has the same AV out as the Mega Drive and thus supports lovely RGB SCART but the SMS2 being a budget machine had it removed.

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Without modding the system, no.  A good RF cable might be marginally less shite but only marginally I'm afraid.

The SMS1 has the same AV out as the Mega Drive and thus supports lovely RGB SCART but the SMS2 being a budget machine had it removed.

Ahh, that clears things up. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a model 1.