If You Became A Billionare Tomorow..

NEG

If anything at all?

I'd start up my own gaming developer/publisher ( Shock NEG Inc sounds catchy enough ) and hire the best people from every developer like Miyamoto,Yuji Naka, VJ creator, and so on. Oh and of course every single Rllmuk poster. Just for the "Ideas" Department.

Then I'll release the NEG console. With a little Mini-NEG model so the retro among us can develop for that.

And everyone in the world will be happy!

One slight problem with that though...where would I get the billions?

( NEG )

EDIT: Company to developer/publisher

Then I'd bankroll a few decent games, and then, get this, RELEASE THEM IN AUGUST

It would mark the end of videogames as we know it! I'd probably give a bit of cash to developers so they could protect their damn code a bit better. And then not have to delay a game for 8 goddamn months! That's nearly a year for cying out loud.

I'd get a crew of filmmakers, musicians, programmers and 3D artists together to produce the David Lynch's Eraserhead inspired game I've got haunting in my head for years now. Take Silent Hill 3, add 700 years of European continental history and mix it with traditional artforms like opera and film and you might get an idea what it would end up like. It would be unlike anything you've ever seen. And it probably would sell 2 copies: one to my mum, and one to my girlfriend.

Id create a big publishing company, then get rid of all the good people, hire all the grads for low money and long hours, have people making important discions when they dont know what they are talking about and just be a complete bitch to work for...like most games companies.

Well, I'd open a game store/arcade combination, like that one discussed a while back, with ALOT of booths for people to try games out on, and some jukebox system, as well as a cushioned seating area with even more consoles, these would prolly be xboxes tho hooked up to live... that would be large too, and a bar, and small clusters of arcade cabinets about the place...

I would also produce a magazine, obviously I wouldn't write for it, but, I'd make sure people who can actually write are employed, I'd try and fund a magazine up to the standards of the best film and book review articles and magazines...

Also, I'd gag Stuart Campbell...

With billions, you could do what you liked. I'd put together an MMORPG:- the main expenditure would come in from funding research to develop a distributed network architecture. I'd then buy up (or partner with the makers of) the leading tools and middleware apps, and give them away free. Basically setting up a steering organisation or think tank with the goal of standardising the technical foundations. Kind of like the Symbian board, OpenGL, or the Mozilla Foundation. Except more sinister.

If the starting figure was merely millions, I'd start a publishing house (possibly in collaboration with an established non-gaming company/group) with a more adventurous release strategy, amortised by exploiting new methods of distribution and targetted marketing.

One 'label' would publish the Japanese and Korean games that the current crop of European publishers (most notably Infogrames) have shown themselves to be not equipped or simply unwilling to deal with.

The other label would be based on the 'Gathering of Developers' ethos, except not limited to the PC platform. Fostering competently managed relationships with UK and EU developers, with sane business practices, contracts signed up front, and a guarantee that finished titles would be marketed and distributed properly. The relationship would work in both directions - we would actively invest in (possibly buy outright) development studios, and ensure that they didn't waste years and millions of pounds on games with no audience. As Daikatana-era Jon Romero (and any number of games with 'cool' protagonists, space marines or sub-Tolkien settings) has shown, developers are not necessarily businessmen or in touch with the public's tastes.

Me I set up a gaming shop like Borders in Bull Ring and set up a chain of quality import shops and smash the competitions apart :huh:

Buy play-asia.com, tronixweb.com, playusa.com and play.com and merge them all and allow imports :blink:

Set up a publishing house and allow Developers to develop games for GC/XBOX/PS2 and start a trend of 20 quid games. I will also restore great british gaming industry by buying every companies but Rare and Rockstart North and codemaster

Fund a SI games and buy Konami Toyko and make them work together to produce CM 4/WE 7 online combination football game

Set up a quality gaming publishing magazine for hardcore gamers with free DVD previews.

Outbid EA for ideal license and only release games when it is ready.

Guest Penguin_Lad
Too lazy to do anything like start my own developer, I would just manipulate the charts and buy up all videogames that I think should be popular and would like to see sequels of. Might buy a new coat too.

You ARE EA!

I'd sit down, relax, stop working toward a shit job and a pointless degree, and make my bloody football game the way I believe it should be done.

Then I will release it for free while I hire the best people in the business to recreate the game in 3D, get all the required licenses to give it that further spark of realism, and make it massively multiplayer online.

One player to a team. Think of the possibilities....

Guest Penguin_Lad
I'd sit down, relax, stop working toward a shit job and a pointless degree, and make my bloody football game the way I believe it should be done.

Then I will release it for free while I hire the best people in the business to recreate the game in 3D, get all the required licenses to give it that further spark of realism, and make it massively multiplayer online.

One player to a team. Think of the possibilities....

...and everyone running around underneath the ball like school kids, to the cries of "STOP BUNCHING!"

:huh:

Guest Penguin_Lad
One player to a team.

As in one gamesplayer per team.

Proper 11-a-side would never work.

Oh sorry I read that wrong. God I'm rubbish. Not Undertaker God. It's late you know.

I'd start up an information archive not too dissimilar from the IMDB. As much as I like Mobygames, I think it's lacking quite a few categories, and there's a few things I don't like (the voting system, for one). I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to documenting things like games.

Actually I was thinking of doing it despite the fact I'm not a billionaire :huh:

I'd create a Primetime TV Video Games Show, With the intellect and maturity towards games that Edge represents. Justin Timberlake would be comissioned to write the theme tune.

I'd also get games consoles fitted in all schools with games like Ico, Rez, PoP, Monkey Ball, and Wario Ware for kids to play as part of an optional after school club where supervisors(teachers) are on hand to discuss the games with the children and maybe as part of a club whereby they can come up with designs of their own. The best ideas can be put forward Jim'll Fix It style to the gameshow and small demo's can be created by an employed games team, these are published on the web and are available for a small fee, the best ones of which then get made into finished games.

Development of games that aid teaching subjects such as maths or foreign languages to be used in schools with the provided consoles would be funded.

The money made from these games funds the system and also A-level and degree courses for all aspects of Electronic entertainment.