Instant Hero [iOS] - New FREE game from Rllmuk people, OUT NOW, new trailer added!

jon_cybernet

There is sound. Is there skill? I'm basically firing at random at the moment, and doing at least as well as when I try to aim.

Definitely more so the more you play. I guess I'd liken to Peggle or pool - you can usually plan the first two or three bounces, but more than that and it's in the lap of physics and chance.

You can also try and aim for power ups, and ignore the monsters, although this strategy can backfire too.

There are also strategies like going up the side to do levels quickly and build up your multiplier - the trade off being that boss battles are really tough.

Playing on iPhone6.Few notes:

- One thing I am struggling with is how I fail during a level? Sometimes I set my man off and he dies the first time I bump into something. Other times he bumps off the baddies and makes it to the end. Is the idea to level up with easier monsters first and build up or simply avoid all enemies?

- Connected to this perhaps a way to measure the relative strength of baddies so I can plan my route if I need to hit weaker enemies first?

- Bosses, i cant seem to move left and right during boss fights? is this on purpose?

Apart from that very slick so far...

Yeah, basically the smallest monsters have one attack, then two then three etc.

You need to hit two of the smallest ones to start, then the next biggest and the next biggest and so on. Do you think the tutorial needs to be clearer?

And yes, the bosses are just about timing, no left/right movement.

I'm not sure how i know what is going to kill me or not either.

Plays a lot like one tap rpg that came out a few months back, this has more content and variety though, that was just a one screen game.

If i recall they had to add some extra tapping in as the levels lasted a lot longer and you just watched it play out after setting your character off.

Its nicely presented but, like one tap rpg, a bit lacking in player involvement (apologies if it varies it up after a few screens, only played a little bit)

Do you have iTunes playing something? That'll override in game sound. Or there's a terrible bug.

I don't, no. No sound at all.

I wonder if my phone is broken.

EDIT: Works with headphones. Arse.

EDIT 2: iTunes works without headphones. Phew. Erm, not sure what that means for your app.

Yeah, basically the smallest monsters have one attack, then two then three etc.

You need to hit two of the smallest ones to start, then the next biggest and the next biggest and so on. Do you think the tutorial needs to be clearer?

And yes, the bosses are just about timing, no left/right movement.

Personally I didn't pick this up from the tutorial (but it could just be me).

Perhaps also an in game representation of what you can/can't destroy would help:

- your level number / mob level number above heads

- a colour system, red surround for enemies you can't kill, green surround for enemies you can kill

- or something more elegant!

For me (again this could just be me) I noticed the swords in the top right but didn't correlate the number of swords to the type of mob's I could kill on screen. With hindsight I now remember the tutorial telling me about this.

When you are watching your charachter move up the screen I focused on the action of him heading up screen. If there was a way to indicate when you look at this area if you could destroy a mob you are moving towards it could help (such as previously mentioned colour system or perhaps the swords above your charachter/mob head rather than top left)

However admittedly now I know how to play it's not relevant. It's just those first few plays were slightly confusing.

Some thoughts:

I didnt't mind the banner ad, but the 3-second unskippable world of tanks ad played music which clashed with the game music and sounded terrible as well as being intrusive.

It took me a while to work out how things worked, but I got there in the end. That said, it's still not clear which monsters I can kill when.

I don't know what any of the power ups do. When I clicked on the shield in the top right corner to try and find out, my man set off and died.

I have a baseball cap, but again I don't know why or what it does.

Do I level up faster against stronger enemies?

I like the tutorial, but as a fun intro, not a tutorial. A tutorial should emphasise the fact you need to kill smaller monsters to level up to kill larger monsters by having you do so, and telling you this is what you're doing.

My first experience of the game beyond the tutorial was- pressing the screen, my man setting off missing the smaller monsters and dying, game over screen appearing, pushing continue and being asked for money. That's an offputting first minute. I think you need a much gentler first play or free continues in the first world.

Does strength carry over? I assume it doesn't and so always took the outside route, was finished off by main levels, not bosses. Seems to random to bother with trying to bounce, especially with only one life.

I'll post more tomorrow. Cheers

Right, First impressions. I love the art style and the music, the humour is pretty entertaining. The ads are pretty in your face (but as you say, they are turned up to max so you'd expect that) and I have hit them by accident also.

Having the ads at the bottom of the screen, where you Control your character from, does increase the likelihood of unintentional taps. Which wouldn't be as big an annoyance if it didn't mean you lost your progress. Not that I've got very far, but if I had, and ended up back at the title screen after an accidental ad tap... I'd be pretty fed up.

It is kind of frustrating dying all the time and having to start over. Which I guess is the point of the continues system. Too tired to figure out how to test the IAPs out right now but I would like to see how that works.

On another note, carleton were you the programmer on Alert Safety Boom? Because I really liked that game.

Thanks for the feedback people. I'm surprised that people are struggling with the premise as we though the tutorial was quite specific. I am aware most people don't actually bother reading what's there though. Here's part of the tutorial script:

VILLAGER This is a small monster. You kill these by walking into them.
VILLAGER Kill two of these smallest monsters to start raising your attack level!
VILLAGER Keep killing and raising your attack as you go!
VILLAGER The higher your attack, the bigger the monsters you can kill.
Clearly this isn't working. I don't think it's worth changing the tutorial as I don't think people look.
Some options:
1) Some in game extra tutorial which re-emphasises the smaller to bigger aspect
2) A bigger deal made out of levelling up (sword grows to middle of screen, shoots to top right)
3) Dave the shepherd gives tips on the game over screen
4) A how to play button at game over with a simple explanation of the basics
I'm not so sure a game needs to tell you everything from the get-go but I do think you need to understand the basic rules. Do you think it's important to know what the spells do or learn through playing? I find constant nagging a pain. An optional how to play instruction screen could have this info though.
You can control the character by touching anywhere on screen, not just the man himself. I realise that isn't made clear and isn't intuitive though.
I didn't realise adverts played music, in development you just get a basic static image. So thanks for that Google. I'll mute our music during ads.
If you have continues Dave the Shepherd won't let you use one on level one and tells you not to waste them. I allowed the IAP to kick in if you had adverts on as I thought people might like that but yeah, it sounds bad in your situation. I'll make Dave do his little speech no matter what.
The whole point off attacking monsters is to get a good score which is pretty much the point of the game. I only realised last night though that we don't have your high score displayed if you don't use Game Center.
Adverts shouldn't take you back to the main menu, they pop-up in game but return you where you were. Or at least they should. Can you confirm you were kicked out?
And no, I didn't do Altert! Safety! Boom! although I remember enjoying it back then and it's still a slick product now. I think I spoke to the developer at the time about it. I've not done as many games as I'd like in the past few years as I have a different app I work on which keeps the wolf from the door. Instant Hero is an attempt to use my spare time to get back writing games.

Having played a bit more, here are my initial thoughts.

It seems a bit unclear what the money is for. Is it just score? It seems frustrating if so: games in general and f2p games in particular have taught me that money is used for stuff: buying things to improve your character, for example. Especially so in an RPG setting. I know the conceit is that we're paying off Dave the Shepherd, but it's a bit abstract in game. When you die, you get told you've paid off x amount of gold, but there's no "out of 1,000,000" to put it in context, and since the tutorial isn't mandatory it's not going to be clear for all players.

What are the spells? Those books? I'd no idea what they did until I read here that there were spells and then I started looking at the icons more. I still don't know what half of them do just by looking at them.

There's no sense of progression. Peggle has different levels/worlds to work through, and the player has choice of which to do. There doesn't seem any choice here - you always start back at the very first level. It makes playing feel a bit pointless to me, unfortunately. This isn't just down to the continue system you have - even if I had ten continues I wouldn't bother using them because when I run out I'll have to start at the beginning again. If there's some sort of system like Peggle has, where once you've completed five levels (or something) you get to start at a different level, that isn't clear at the moment. But it would definitely make me more inclined to use a continue if I knew I was on level 4 of 5 in that 'world' and that once I beat level 5, I'd start on a new world and be able to choose that world when starting a new game.

When you defeat a boss, you go back to being level one. I understand why, but again, it feels like you're going backwards. With the RPG trappings you've got, it feels like you should be improving your character all the time, not starting over and over again.

What's the point in ranking up? I got a baseball cap when I ranked up, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Are the levels randomised in terms of enemy placement? They seem to be, and that makes it frustrating because it's impossible to make a strategy to finish the level. After one or two bounces it's completely random. Again, looking at Peggle, you had more than one life so you could strategise more.

All that said though, I'm enjoying it. I probably wouldn't play it for more than a week though, and I definitely wouldn't spend any money on IAPs. I don't find the ads intrusive though, and I've never pressed one by accident.

I'd echo much of what Scribblor says above.

The game has obviously had time and care put into it but unfortunately for me the weakest part is what I get to do as the player, its just so slight.

Peggle somehow manages to make me as a player feel that even after 6 bounces around the screen to take out the final peg it was a skillshot I planned all along, in this once I've set my character off I don't feel any connection to what happens after the first contact.

The bosses add variety but the fact I have to constantly repeat them has already made them a chore, and the levels aren't really different (that I've seen so far) beyond skinning of the creatures and level graphics. I'm not getting any sense of progression other than a running coin total by virtue of the fact I'm always sent back to the start.

I said before that the gameplay is the same as one tap RPG (this is a much better game btw) - that got the same critiscism in the reviews on the app store about the players not having much to do - they added a boost function to speed up your man whilst in the level but it was pretty limited.

I buy a lot of ios games and gladly lob 69p over to get rid of ads in something I like, sorry to say I wouldn't pay to do so in this and I'm with Scribblor again that I wouldn't see it staying on the phone for more than a few days.

Trying to be honest to help you guys with the product, no use just saying 'wow best game ever' as you're forumites. I like the graphics, the story is amusing, its just the gameplay that lacks for me, needs more to it (even as a cheapie iphone game)

Having played a bit more, here are my initial thoughts.

It seems a bit unclear what the money is for. Is it just score? It seems frustrating if so: games in general and f2p games in particular have taught me that money is used for stuff: buying things to improve your character, for example. Especially so in an RPG setting. I know the conceit is that we're paying off Dave the Shepherd, but it's a bit abstract in game. When you die, you get told you've paid off x amount of gold, but there's no "out of 1,000,000" to put it in context, and since the tutorial isn't mandatory it's not going to be clear for all players.

You have to pay Dave back for killing all his Sheep :P Plus it is how you level up, or at least that's what I have got from it so far.

There is a big jump from level 1 ( 3000g) to level 2 though ( 25,000) makes it bit of a daunting task having to get 5x your current amount to hit the next target at such an early level.

Yes, I know you're paying Dave back. I said that in my post.

I still stand by what I said. Because the tutorial isn't compulsory, you'll get players not knowing this, and since there's no "out of 1,000,000" when you get told how much you've 'repaid' it lacks context. Actually, does anything happen if you get to a million? I hope so.

I know it's how you level up, too. But as I also said, what's the point in levelling up? I got a cap, but it doesn't seem to have done anything else.

I got a Beanie for hitting level 2.

Managed to make it to stage 5, that 4th boss is my fave so far.

Had a little glitch on the first level boss, just as I entered the arena, one of the fortune 500 thingy ad's popped up, upon closing it the boss was missing and the game had frozen , after about 30 seconds the game continued, gave me my Beanie for leveling up and went on to level 2.

The tutorial is compulsory though? If you weren't forced to see it on your first run, then that's a bug.

Ah, okay. I selected the tutorial first, so it looked like when I chose 'Start Quest' and went straight into the game that the tutorial wasn't compulsory.

I got a Beanie for hitting level 2.

Managed to make it to stage 5, that 4th boss is my fave so far.

Had a little glitch on the first level boss, just as I entered the arena, one of the fortune 500 thingy ad's popped up, upon closing it the boss was missing and the game had frozen , after about 30 seconds the game continued, gave me my Beanie for leveling up and went on to level 2.

We'll look into that, definitely. Are you enjoying the game?