Sega Saturn 20th Anniversary in Japan

Riven

I bought one at launch instead of a Playstation because I'd always been a Sega fan boy. I remember the regret when I went round to a friends house and he fired up FF7 and Ridge Racer both just fried my brain. Just didn't have the money to buy the other back then :(

Well, if everyone who bought and loved the Saturn started a new thread about it, we'd have.... Well, we'd have this thread, wouldn't we?

*dons flame-proof suit*

Your lucky I have a good sense of humour. :eyebrows: That and the fact that even fire resistant material burns at hot enough temp temperature Mwhahahahahahahah.

Even I'll admit the Saturn lanuch was terrible in all regions, Clockwork Knight had to be split into two games, Virtua Fighter was a rushed port (many say the 32X version is better and I think I agree) and then that first port of Daytona USA no thank you.

In the long run we got the better games, I've been lucky enough to compare most of the Saturn and PlayStation exclusive games and while the PlayStation has a lot more, the Saturn just wins hands down in terms of best in the genre. We may have lost the playgrounds, but we had the last laugh.

Sega could've made the Saturn much more successful, even against the all-conquering PlayStation behemoth, but honestly, they pissed it all away. Weak hardware with difficult-to-use architecture didn't help, as did not pushing their widely-recognised 16-bit era IP (Sonic!) into 32-bit, and this is back when Sega hadn't irreversibly sullied most of their popular games series. Worse-looking games on significantly more expensive hardware, and few or no classic Sega characters, it was hobbled from the start.

I actually like the Saturn quite a bit, I'd rather own one in 2014 than the PS1, but honestly it's a near-miracle that it just about pulled itself up into a position to be remembered as anything more than a Jaguar-style megaflop. IMO the best way to think of it is a spiritual successor to the PC Engine, a machine receiving good conversions of 2D Japanese arcade games.

I bought one at launch instead of a Playstation because I'd always been a Sega fan boy. I remember the regret when I went round to a friends house and he fired up FF7 and Ridge Racer both just fried my brain. Just didn't have the money to buy the other back then

Same here. But in hindsight I think it doesn't hold up too well. There were some truly sterling games on it after all.

When I was at college there was this older guy I got to know from Taiwan and he was quite into his gaming. Eventually he had to go back home and gave me his Saturn plus about 100 "silvers" . He'si modded the Saturn to play them somehow ( recall some tape over the cd button sensor or something.)

Anyway I remember spending a whole day just going through all here discs. I had no idea what they were as most had Chinese / Japanese writing on the discs. Found some fun games that probably never got released outside of Asia alhough there were several that we did get over here ( die hard triology was fun) and sonic jam was entertaining me for a while.

It was all good until I found some seriously disturbing video CDs in the mix though..

Despite actually owning one, the Saturn really passed me by. I was already working for Sony before I saw one and my immediate thought was that it seriously paled in comparison to the PS1 stuff I was seeing every day. My brother and I went halves on one that someone we worked with was selling (for about £80 Iirc. This was probably late 95, early 96). We played Virtua Cop and Darkstalkers on it and that was it.

Sorry if I seem like I'm trolling, but I find it slightly telling that no one has really mentioned any games so far in this thread, where you would pretty much expect it to be a list thread by now.

To me, the Saturn seemed to be caught between generations. It was a modern, CD based system, with a focus on "old hat" 2D games. And it just seemed to lack that killer exclusive title - there didn't seem to be that must have Ridge Racer / Tekken / Mario 64 game that made you feel like you were missing out by not owning one.

I sold mine to someone on here probably 10 years ago. I don't miss it, but feel the need to be wrong about that...

The Saturn tugs my nostalgia strings more than any other console!

I bought one just after Sega Rally came out. I'd previously owned a 3do and the extra power of the Saturn was noticeable. Comparing FIFA 96 to FIFA 3DO for instance.

And then the good games lol! Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon, then I fired up Sega Rally and knew I'd found the perfect racing game!

I was in 5th / 6th year at school, so could only afford a new game once a month, but my mates and I skived a lot of school to play Saturn games!

Back then I wasn't into 2D stuff like Guardian Heroes, or shmups, but the Saturn kept me entertained until the N64 was released.

These days I often revisit Saturn Bomberman (my wife's favourite game ever!), Athlete Kings, VF2 and Sega Rally.

I prefer the Saturn versions to the arcade for some reason, even though I've got the Model 2 emulator running on my MAME cab along with a FFB wheel for Rally.

To me, the Saturn seemed to be caught between generations. It was a modern, CD based system, with a focus on "old hat" 2D games. And it just seemed to lack that killer exclusive title - there didn't seem to be that must have Ridge Racer / Tekken / Mario 64 game that made you feel like you were missing out by not owning one.

The early years weren't great for the saturn but once it got going it kicked arse, just look at all the imports I listed in the Saturn import list but for PAL games we had this fine selection. Ridge Racer 1~4 & Tekken 1-3 got taken to pieces by Sega Rally & Virtua Fighter 2 but by then it was to late. I do think the Saturn lacked a Mario 64 platformer, but Bug! was very good as was Astral.

I think the 32bit war was really won in the first year of the PlayStation's release, which is a shame as a lot of the big graphical PlayStation titles haven't aged well.

Athlete Kings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHobrdITHRQ

The Story of Thor 2

Dark Saviour

Steep Slop Sliders

Along with games like:

Virtual Cop 1 & 2

Winter Heat

Panzer Dragoon 1 & 2

Baku Baku Animal : World Zookeeper Contest

Clockwork Knight 1 & 2

Virtua Fighter 2

Daytona USA Circuit Edition (Daytona USA CCE)

Shining Force III

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On

Last Bronx

Guardian Heroes

Bug!

Nights into Dreams

Christmas Nights into Dreams...

Fighters Megamix

Sonic R

Panzer Dragon Saga

Sega Rally Championship

Mystara: The realm of lore

Dragon Force

Manx TT

Surely it was because the Saturn was actually made as a massively powerful 2D console and then upon hearing the playstation sported new 3d technology , the saturn was rushed out with 3d features added on at a later stage in order to compete.

This resulted in most 3rd parties only have access to the 2d tools and early 3d tools. Due to the poor architecture of the console most developers seemingly passed on the console.

The mega cd/32x had pretty much destroyed sega's reputation at this point anyway.

Despite actually owning one, the Saturn really passed me by. I was already working for Sony before I saw one and my immediate thought was that it seriously paled in comparison to the PS1 stuff I was seeing every day. My brother and I went halves on one that someone we worked with was selling (for about £80 Iirc. This was probably late 95, early 96). We played Virtua Cop and Darkstalkers on it and that was it.

Sorry if I seem like I'm trolling, but I find it slightly telling that no one has really mentioned any games so far in this thread, where you would pretty much expect it to be a list thread by now.

I sold mine to someone on here probably 10 years ago. I don't miss it, but feel the need to be wrong about that...

No killer exclusive title?

Nights, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Guardian Heroes, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Fighter 2, Saturn Bomberman!

It was the console I had at Uni, so many many long hours of Sega Rally, and long Sunday come-down days playing Shining the Holy Ark (my missus' favourite game). In fact it'set up now next to my PS3 and Wii U, it's the best console ever

Nights, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Guardian Heroes, Fighters Megamix, Virtua Fighter 2, Saturn Bomberman!

And this is why I'm not entitled to an opinion on the Saturn and shouldn't be allowed to post in here.

I've played Virtua Fighter 2; I know what Nights, Bomberman and Fighters Megamix are; the rest I couldn't even tell you what genre they are.

Again, maybe that was part of the Saturn's problem? Not mainstream enough?

I think SEGA were in their peak during the Saturn to Dreamcast years. Everything from their games was just top notch, they gave us the most creative, imaginative and revolutionary games around. They never played it safe like Nintendo instead they focused on creating new games which gave fresh experiences.

From Nights to Shenmue their soundtracks have always been killer.

The Saturn is a fantastic console with loads of great games, but none of those titles are system sellers to match the likes of Ridge Racer, Final Fantasy VII, Mario 64 or Ocarina Of Time. Sega needed a big Sonic title to get the Saturn into people's homes, THEN they could have been pleasantly surprised by all the new IP.