IGNORED

Suicide Squad - Will Smith, Margot Robbie & Jared Leto

Goose

Unless I missed something - they government didn't even seem to have a plan to stop the Sorceress.

Spoiler

Squad only sent in to get Waller, they do this then Joker turns up, then Waller goes to leave and says she'll send another helicopter to pick the squad up.

If the Joker hadn't turned up/Waller's helicopter hadn't been brought down - then I assume Waller would have just gone to the Gotham equivalent of DC and the Squad on their way back to jail and ???? would have gone and stopped the Sorceress?

So I went to see this as I had some time to kill, and I'd been wanting to see it for a while, hoping that the general opinion didn't match how I'd feel about it.  Yes I should have known better, especially since the main thing that interested me - the Harley/Joker relationship - was something I knew was barely part of it.  But I went in with low expectations, hoping that like X Men Apocolypse it may surprise me.  What I actually got was not just the worst film I've seen at the cinema this year, but something that was at times so shockingly poor, it bordered on insulting.

That video from the girl pretending to be Waller sums a lot of it up, but the thing that annoys me the most is that in a film that tries to sell using bad guys as reasonable because it evens up the fight if the next Superman goes rogue, is that half the bad guys have no fucking powers.  Why in gods name would someone think that a guy who throws freakin boomerangs would be good in a team to take down the next super powered guy? It's lazy as shit.  They could have had reasons for each one to be part of the mission.  Hell, even Capt Boomerang - they say he's an expert bank robber so have it so they need to break into somewhere at least. I love Harley as a character, and I think Margo does well, but no government official would sign off on her being part of any team like this as she brings nothing to it, but they could have written it in.  Make it so that in some way her knowledge is important to the mission or something, so that she needs to be there.  Instead they give us "We need our own meta humans to fight potential other meta humans", "OK, sounds reasonable", "lol psych, here's 2 meta humans, a guy who's really good at shooting things, and guy who throws stuff and a crazy lady".

Its not just that though, the direction is at times woeful, and the music was often intrusive.  I can't remember what the song was for sure - I think it was seven nation army - but it played over the bit from the trailer where Harley says about the voices in her head, which is even worse in the film.  Really badly edited and the song just didn't seem to fit.  Some scenes don't really seem to know what they're actually trying to convey, like they couldn't decide what the scene was for or about.  The ending is poorly done and not in any way satisfying.

I will say I thought Margo and Smith did well.  Jai Courtney was surprisingly decent too, as was Davis as Waller, even if they laid it on a bit too thick with trying to show she was a nasty piece of work.  Leto wasn't great but I think the stuff he had to work with wasn't great either.  Maybe with something better he'd have shone, but he's not even close to Ledger in terms of Jokers as it stands.

More fool me for not heeding the warnings I guess....

To be honest what annoyed me about Harley (aside from the cosplay/Arkham "sexy" look that I don't think suits the character), was that it seemed like that might have been quite an interesting story but as presented and edited it made no sense to me. 

Okay, let's be a little objective (if such a thing is remotely tolerable to you): the film has made a ton of bank for Warner, so they've signed one of the leads to a multi film deal -- hardly a new thing in this day and age -- including more films with the same character. And you're telling me that a response such as the one above isn't irrational. Why the spite?

"How dare Chris Evans sign up to do more Marvel films, the spec of shit" said nobody ever.

3 hours ago, Liquid Myth said:

Okay, let's be a little objective (if such a thing is remotely tolerable to you): the film has made a ton of bank for Warner, so they've signed one of the leads to a multi film deal -- hardly a new thing in this day and age -- including more films with the same character. And you're telling me that a response such as the one above isn't irrational. Why the spite?

"How dare Chris Evans sign up to do more Marvel films, the spec of shit" said nobody ever.

Thats not not what was said at all, the description was of Warner Bros, picking through shit (their movies) to pull out the peanuts. In the aftermath of their films being critically unpopular, their focus is spinning more movies out of the unpopular stuff instead of addressing how it disappointed people. It's a completely understandable and not remotely spiteful comment to make about the company.

21 minutes ago, Jon said:

Broker is a very strange person. He does similar in the console threads.

By "does similar" I assume you mean "points out when people who are weirdly defensive repeatedly post the same thing"? There's just an interesting correlation in the kinds of people who are really defensive about a corporation always getting upset about people criticising but then using phrases like "chill out" to imply the people with criticisms are being unreasonable. I'll criticise whatever I like on a discussion forum and being told repeatedly to calm down by people who seem substantially more upset than me is tiring. I assume there are people who defend other corporations the same way, because I'm often mistaken for being in favour of Marvel or Sony, when actually I just feel negative about Warner and Microsoft because they own things I like but treat them in a way which makes me unhappy. I assume that brings me into conflict with people who like those companies and their use of their IP.

Again with the objectivity, but getting steady work as an actor is really fucking hard to get, and I'm pretty sure anyone in the same position would jump at the opportunity to sign onto a multi-picture deal (with additional production options). Or maybe Warner will have to deal with the "dregs" already on multi-picture deals, like Will Smith, or Tom Hardy.

I don't even understand what you're arguing? Do you understand that the post that you angrily objected to was insulting Warner Brothers, not Margot Robbie? In fact, by implying that she was the peanut in the shit, it was being complimentary to her performance and agreeing with the consensus that she was one of the better things in the film? So you fixating on someone insulting her for signing up for multiple pictures is a completely spurious and unrelated to anything anyone else has actually said.

17 hours ago, moora said:

I know she isn't exactly a looker, but "peanut in the shit" is a pretty back handed compliment....

This is the Ghostbusters (2016) thread, right?

I took it to mean, the entire film was shit, but they took the best thing out of the shit. Both, peanuts and harley, are ok if they can wash the shit off.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the Empire review, first one I have read in ages btw, but they seemed to love it? Seemingly comparing Jared Leto and Heath Ledger in a favourable manner. Are they still semi credible? Does this mean I might actually need to see this and potentially even like it? 

"But there is more to come surely? Judging by what Ayer's pulled off here, you can bet there will be" :blink:

They also said on this weeks podcast that it was their worst film of the summer so they obviously don't agree with the reviewer at all.

Empire also gave Independence Day 2 a 4 star review too and that was a piece off crap.

Both written by the same person, so obviously he likes his actions films to be shit.

I feel like publications like Empire need two people to review films and come together on a fair score because how the fuck ID2 and this got 4/5 stars is ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, Hean Dog said:

Just read the Empire review, first one I have read in ages btw, but they seemed to love it? Seemingly comparing Jared Leto and Heath Ledger in a favourable manner. Are they still semi credible? Does this mean I might actually need to see this and potentially even like it? 

"But there is more to come surely? Judging by what Ayer's pulled off here, you can bet there will be" :blink:

*remembers*

David Ayer has probably done an awful lot of terrible things while he's existed among us, even things away from movie making that none of us will ever know about. But the opening monologue of End of Watch is truly terrible that with each sentence manages to re-enforce its terribleness. I like to think it isn't a parody, and Ayer was well chuffed with it, he got to the end and realised to himself that he started with 'I am the police' and ended with 'we are the police' and thought it was masterful summation of Law and Order, sure we had David Simon's 50 hour crime saga but only a true genius like David Ayer could condense all the complexities of crime into easily digestible black and white sentences. I don't think Ayer should be allowed hands that allow him to write never mind be allowed to make films. I think every trigger happy cop looking for an enemy has the same kind of warped thinking swirling inside their head as they make a routine traffic stop. I Am Fate With A Badge And A Gun. Behind My Badge Is A Heart Like Yours. I AM A CONSEQUENCE. I AM THE UNPAID BILL. I despise David Ayer and think less of anyone who loves End of Watch.

I am the police, and I'm here to arrest you. You've broken the law. I did not write the law. I may even disagree with the law but I will enforce it. No matter how you plead, cajole, beg or attempt to stir my sympathies, nothing you do will stop me from placing you in a steel cage with gray bars. If you run away I will chase you. If you fight me I will fight back. If you shoot at me I will shoot back. By law I am unable to walk away. I am a consequence. I am the unpaid bill. I am fate with a badge and a gun. Behind my badge is a heart like yours. I bleed, I think, I love, and yes I *can* be killed. And although I am but one man, I have thousands of brothers and sisters who are the same as me. They will lay down their lives for me, and I them. We stand watch together. The thin-blue-line, protecting the prey from the predators, the good from the bad. We are the police.

• 2 weeks later...