IGNORED

Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Final(?), "Definitive" balance patch

joffocakes

Very weird, I thought Sak's face was fine. Hadn't even occurred to me to change it. Ibuki, on the other hand:

image.png.73ed1de61f0072891a5c198980b78388.png

Been playing loads of this lately. Still been too lazy to put time in with Strive. Got Laura to Diamond rank, now I play Cody and play pass the stick ranked on a friend's account to see if we can get another Diamond.  Downloaded Oro today also. Please let me know if anyone wants to beat up my day 1 Oro. 

I actually thought the characters arrived tomorrow until I saw folk posting setups and combos online. Had a quick go of the trials and Akira's last VTrigger 2 one was way trickier than I expected. I just though that was gonna be a Yun press buttons affair, rather than a crouch-cancel thing. Dunno what it'll mean for her pressure and damage potential other than that I'm definitely not using it, haha.

• 4 weeks later...

The update planned for this year which included Luke, balance changes and Pro Tour stages/costumes has been delayed until March so as not to conflict with the current Pro Tour schedule. I think this is the first time we've seen Luke's alternative costumes too. Retains the Capcom colour scheme and USA/military stylings so speculate away as to which characters he's connected to (Nash? Guile? Captain Commando?). Or don't, because who cares.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, it really is the end for this game when there’s an update showcase on the final character and this thread doesn’t move!

Speculation that Luke’s V Skill 2 is a mechanic for Street Fighter 6. It’s basically an attack that beats throws.

That thought makes me worried about reversing the 'just take the throw' cliche being as much a part of the design motivation for VI as 'zoning is cheap' seemed to be for V.

It's funny, the DLC characters have been largely very good as the game's progressed and the mechanics have become so much better over time (possibly due to Ono moving aside and new blood coming to the fore) so I was really optimistic about VI. Then this character comes along and I don't know what to think anymore!

• 5 weeks later...

Turns out my laptop runs SFV pretty decently so I've got back into Dan and his weird VSkill 2. Terrible at the moment, I had a long, long set against Eastwood where they character hopped and I still only won two out of 30 or so fights. Spared me the horrors of Honda until the very last match. Impossible.

I'll need to take some time to properly lab wakeup pressure and setups with Dan but I'm getting more comfortable with the VSkill cancels now. I often mess up but that's okay because pressing more buttons = more satisfying.

I'm on a Russian stream too, making someone either very excited, very frustrated or both. Or all three. He is delighted to hit me with a disgusting Kolin mixup, definitely. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1241481233?t=01h34m26s

• 2 months later...

Some pretty significant buffs in that trailer, looks like the final patch will be a hefty one, looking forward to it. 

Changing Cammy's V-trigger to 3 bars would be the perfect nerf for her. Luke  is also a bit too strong in the current build, so would like to see some of his frame data re-worked. He basically doesn't have any weaknesses and also excels in multiple areas. He is not completely unbeatable but he does make a lot of the cast redundant. 

V-Shift is still a bit janky too. I'd like a bit more recovery on a failed v-shift to make punishes a bit more reliable. Some characters can whiff a throw, see the v-shift, hit a crush counter punish. Other characters struggle to get anything for the same read. Also V-shift still sometimes fails to come out at all. I think it's a good mechanic and a fantastic addition to the game, so I hope the final patch fixes some of the issues it has. 

Other than that, the rest of the cast getting buffs and new toys would be lovely, and that seems to be what they've done based on the trailer. Not sure what I'd want them to give my boy Cody. He's not top tier but he's well rounded and feels quite complete, so I'm not sure what sauce they can add to him but I am looking forward to it. Perhaps a bit more reward/threat off his normal anti airs. Maybe a Dee Jay in SF4 situation where he gets juggles off stand fierce anti air counter hit would be nice. Oh, also his air to air jump medium punch, which does juggle, is absolute garbage. His jump arc and the angle the move hits at means it does not serve its purpose. Fixing the animation and hitbox on that would do a similar job to the stand fierce buff. Either of those would be nice. I think one of his biggest weaknesses is that it's not scary enough to jump at him. 

Watching the trailer again, I love that Alex can do EX stun gun into EX elbow. In the current version that move does decent stun, but then leaves him in a really weird situation where he doesn't quite have initiative. It's great if it causes a dizzy but is otherwise not much use. I'm guessing they've added it to the list of things he can cancel using his V-Skill 2. That needs a massive overhaul too. He shouldn't lose it if he gets knocked down, and he shouldn't lose it if he does a special move without v-skill cancelling into another one. It's one of the most fun install v-skills in the game but also by far one of the worst, on a character who is already one of the worst overall. I hope this last patch is kind to him. 

Can't wait for patch notes. I love them almost as much as I love playing the games. 

• joffocakes changed the title to Street Fighter V Champion Edition - Final(?), "Definitive" balance patch

Happy patch notes day.

They keep referring to it as the Definitive balance patch, which is what Champion Edition was originally set to be before Ono's departure/Covid delays to Street Fighter 6 prompted another season of characters.

Definitive.jpg.88327fc05734ba7eeca5f3c81bc2f04c.jpg

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/as/pdf/en/adjustmentsce202203ver.pdf?h=c1a363b30700a198ed37febdad282b6d&20200216

Some of the changes to Dan sound pretty great. They increased the hitstun of medium punch and decreased the startup of cr.HP so he should be able to link them naturally instead of relying on counter-hit (which I loved to do against teleporting Bison players).Curious to see how it impacts the "infinite" combo as well since it'll be an easier link after the Gadoken but it might end up messing with the weirdly specific spacing of it all. Or maybe it'll just be exactly the same.

His standing hard kick is -2 now, instead of -4 so it's (relatively) safe from punishment from most of the cast. Ideal since it is a good and annoying button to use with V-Skill 2.

Pushback on hit from crouching medium punch is decreased while the reach of crouching medium kick has been extended so I'm optimistically hoping that a (blocked) MP, counterhit cr.MP into cr.MK frametrap will work more consistently.

Not sure what to make of the changes to his V-Skill 1 taunt stuff, sounds like it's safer? And he can maybe get more off and air-to-air j.MP x VS1 since he'll fall faster? There's a line that says "added mix-up box" to the airborne one and I have no idea what that means. 

Improvements to his big fireball V-Trigger sound nice so I'll maybe give it another go. Charge time for the basic one is improved and it's now one-hit but it still negates multi-hit fireballs. It's safe too, so he can likely chuck one out several times per round.

EX Koryuken reaches a little further forward as well, which is good for when I'm panic-mashing.

There are also changes to other characters.

21 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Pushback on hit from crouching medium punch is decreased while the reach of crouching medium kick has been extended so I'm optimistically hoping that a (blocked) MP, counterhit cr.MP into cr.MK frametrap will work more consistently.

^this is maybe irrelevant. Standing medium punch x2 is a 3-frame beating frame trap already, does the same damage and stun and now naturally combos into cr.mk since it's +7 on hit. A pretty nice buff, plenty of time to confirm before committing to EX Dankicks/Danpunches.

Not had a chance to really mess around (I'm at work so this was tested on a laptop keyboard) but I wanna see what new stuff he can get away with when using the taunts of V-Skill 1, because it's the cheekiest V-Skill.

F.A.N.G got some decent updates, nothing that’s going to make him particularly strong but numerous more opportunities for different mix ups, which is cool but TBH can all be avoided by a well timed v-shift.

People say Ibuki is weak now because v-shift killed her mix up game and it’s the same for F.A.N.G. Not that I’m moaning about v-shift but I’m pretty sure v-shift was introduced to stop characters like Cammy and Karin being so oppressive but ended up harming other characters more.

Will have to fight your Daniel soon Joffles, it's been ages since we fought on the streets. 

Absolutely wild patch overall. Alex and Rose two of the biggest winners by far. Excellent buffs for Mika also. Gill did very well too, but I'm still not convinced it's enough. Love the Rashid, Cammy and Urien nerfs. I was hoping Luke would get hit a bit harder but they clearly want him to be good as the poster boy for the new game. Think he might be he best character in this version, though Cammy is still extremely powerful. Surprisingly big nerfs for Balrog. Aside from Pugera there isn't anyone doing much damage with him in tournament, so that was unexpected. 

Mostly quality of life changes for my boy Cody. Reduced pushback on crush counter stand roundhouse makes his follow ups much more consistent. Knife anti air crouching fierce causing a knockdown is really nice. He loses stand fierce anti air when he has the knife, so his back up anti air getting buffed is very welcome. Also making standing medium punch easier to hit confirm improves his shimmy and whiff punish game a lot. He didn't need anything, but I was greedily hoping for some new toys to play with when I saw what a lot of other characters got. Laura is almost exactly the same too. A few bug fix changes and some buffs to VT2 which will still never be used. Neither of them needed drastic changes, though I was hoping Laura might get a bit of a leg up because V shift has been an enormous nerf for her. 

Definitely quite a few unintended bugs and weird interactions coming out of the patch too. Zeku's stand jab in light koku loop looks like an accidental buff. I expect a hot fix mini patch pretty soon to fix this stuff, but other than that quite happy with what they've done. 

• 4 weeks later...

GGs Joffles! V shift into super to punish my overhead was delicious. Also that sway interaction vs the charged fireball is wild. I stop you stealing the turn but eat the fireball anyway. I am very bad at the Dan match up. 

Haha yeah! I did a wee gasp of joy when your name popped up.

Those knifey confirms we're delightful. I'm glad I didn't get upknived when the upknives were in season.

I've really been enjoying Dan in this. Still horribly inconsistent with that VSkill 2 but it is very satisfying to press all of the buttons to do it. Also I need to tighten up my meaties for that darn pocket sand. Gonna try to reach Diamond before Street Fighter 6 despite losing about 100 points by the end of each session.

Haha yeah I definitely abused pocket sand. It's a bad habit now, most people in Platinum can't deal with it so I do it too much. Been wrecked for it when I've fought against some of the monstrous grand master types. 

I found getting from 13,000 to 14,000 to be the hardest stretch by far. Once I got to Diamond I can sometimes scalp a Grand Master etc. and get a huge chunk of points to help soak up some losses.  When you're fighting Platinum vs other Platinums you have to win the set 2-1 minimum and ideally go on a bit of a streak to get to that 14k. I'm quite safely hovering in the 15800 - 16200 range at the moment. Mostly get caught out by match ups. Any 30K player using Lucia or some other weirdo will ruin me, but I can beat a Master rank Ken or Kage quite often. LOT of Kages in Diamond. Cody is very well equipped as the sway is a real pain for him. 

It's worth getting to Diamond for the incredibly wide match making pool it opens up. I still get Super/Ultra Platinums but it goes all the way up to Warlords. So one game it'll be some mad lad Ryu doing dash dash sweep for the whole game, then after that it's Hurricane Cammy out of nowhere. Keeps it interesting. Neck breaking shifts in mindset from game to game though. The last Ken jumped at me for the whole game, this time it's Musclenoob Ken who checks dashes with target combos, single hit confirms every low forward into DP and whiff punishes me if I blink at the wrong range. Won one round and then got perfected three times last time I played him. Loved it. 

Fiiiinally made it to Diamond Rank. Nothing fancy in my victory match, just a lot of max range hard punches and kicks and then messing up my kill combo while in VTrigger, forcing myself to needlessly endure Oro's barrage of rocks until he got tired.

I aaaaaalmost did it one set earlier, against a Laura player. They clearly had no knowledge of the Dan matchup so I mauled them in the first game, getting away with some unsafe nonsense. That was all the knowledge they needed to swing the momentum back, though.

Now that that's done my next aim is to land Dan's "infinite" loop in a real match.

Nice work Joffo! Also funny in that clip how  Dan’s enhanced v trigger uppercut is a much worse anti air than his normal one. How very Dan.